Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 04:50 AM

101 posts, read 98,035 times

Advertisements

After doing a search on job growth in cities I find a lot of the information given is contradictory and fails to take in account the sheer population size of cities. As always the lists are rather suspect as far as reliability goes. A city can claim a 100% job growth if it has one person population and another person gets a job. But that's no indication of how many openings there are and how many are competing for those jobs. Also are there currently any boom towns where the applicant numbers cannot keep up with the vacancies? I'm guessing the economy is depressed nationally now due to CV lockdowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 01:53 PM

156 posts, read 168,903 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Anywhere with a population growth over 10% I would consider a boomtown, but that's subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilJohn5 View Post
I'm guessing the economy is depressed nationally now due to CV lockdowns.
Not nationally, just the states that are being governed like Nazi Germany (e.g. New York and California).

Old 08-21-2021, 01:56 PM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post

Anywhere with a population growth over 10% I would consider a boomtown, but that's subjective.

Not nationally, just the states that are being governed like Nazi Germany (e.g. New York and California).
NY isn't as locked down as some people may think. Hence, events that have been open for a while and upcoming sports season going back to normal. Plenty of companies looking for people in parts of the state as well.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:51 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Washington is closer to the CA/NY type on Covid. But rather than closing things, we're focusing on masks and making sure public employees are vaccinated. So a lot is back to normal despite the dimwits (antivaxxers, anti-maskers) that keep the pandemic going. Private companies are often choosing to continue WFH for a while, and in some cases requiring vaccinations.

As for boomtowns currently, Census data doesn't say much as it's all 4/1/10 to 4/1/20, but you can look at unemployment rates and so on for a more current view. One hint is that if you can deal with an expensive city, they're crying out for workers outside the six-figure fields.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:28 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Washington is closer to the CA/NY type on Covid. But rather than closing things, we're focusing on masks and making sure public employees are vaccinated. So a lot is back to normal despite the dimwits (antivaxxers, anti-maskers) that keep the pandemic going. Private companies are often choosing to continue WFH for a while, and in some cases requiring vaccinations.

As for boomtowns currently, Census data doesn't say much as it's all 4/1/10 to 4/1/20, but you can look at unemployment rates and so on for a more current view. One hint is that if you can deal with an expensive city, they're crying out for workers outside the six-figure fields.
I agree, although I'm not sure cost of living plays a huge role.

Cities like Boise, Omaha and Salt Lake City are sporting 3.2% unemployment rates currently.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:34 PM

There's more than one way to get the unemployment rate down. But that's not really what I'm referring to anyway.

In a high-cost city, some jobs tend to lack applicants because while we're good at attracting people their 20s, they often leave in their 30s because they want cheap houses etc., particularly in the low and middle income occupations. If you're good with multifamily housing and transit and have mid-career skills, you'll tend to do well.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:19 PM

156 posts, read 168,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
we're focusing on masks and making sure public employees are vaccinated. So a lot is back to normal despite the dimwits (antivaxxers, anti-maskers) that keep the pandemic going.
I find it odd how people like you are suddenly pro-government and anti-choice after being anti-government and pro-choice for so long.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:44 AM

You've decided what kind of person I am, based on ?? Your abilities truly stand out from the rest.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:06 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
When I think of Boomtowns, It's places like Oak Ridge TN or Dickinsun ND. A decade ago there were a few oil shale towns south of San Antonio, but their boom was usually manifested by the construction of a 500-room

holiday Inn in a town like Refugio to house the boom labor'

Orlando and Huntsville seem to still be in a Boomtown phase. And Austin.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:12 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Any boom towns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post

Your response is in league with your moniker here and absolutely FAILS when put up against the facts as to what has been happening with the economic recoveries in both California and Mew York.
But perhaps the "facts" don't matter to you as much as does the opportunity to take unwarranted, anti-fact misinformation pot shots at 2 states you don't like.

As for your comment on what constitutes a "boomtown", I do agree. The term ends up being incorrectly used subjectively but basic standards of growth based upon census and other data can provide some helpful context in applying the term "boomtown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.