Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 01:04 PM

340 posts, read 266,144 times

Advertisements

What's it like in the American Southwest? Does it get all four seasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 01:45 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
High desert areas certainly get four seasons. That would be most of New Mexico. Northern Arizona would. Albuquerque is over a mile high. Santa Fe over 7,000 ft. Flagstaff and Taos about the same. Phoenix is 1,000 — makes a big difference in climate and seasons.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:01 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Low desert in southern AZ just has four different seasons:

Right now, it's "fall" in the sense of it's warm to hot, dry (post-Monsoon; see below) and lower/gentler sun angle. Snowbirds are arriving.

"Winter" to follow may have more rain. Or not. It's helpful for there to be rain. Coldest time of year on average is late December; no proximate ocean to moderate the sun angle's ruddering of air temperatures. Non-semi-resident vacationers peak flock in February/March.

"Spring" is dry and becomes the hottest time of year (at which point snowbirds leave) because the sun angle is high and it's dry. Dust can be at peak, especially if winter was dry. (Well, dust is often an issue; need to get used to a fine silt getting into your sinuses and everywhere. If you live there long enough, you will almost certainly get Valley Fever at some point, courtesy of said dust because that's where the fungus is endemic.)

"Monsoon" aka summer is more humid (due to seasonal air movements from the Sea of Cortez), hopefully wetter, and therefore perhaps 5F+ degrees cooler than late spring. 2020 was a "Nonsoon" - which led to huge wildfires. 2021's monsoon was big, producing a greening up of a kind something like seen in India. e.g., https://tinyurl.com/34v8sunu

Last edited by P Larsen; 11-17-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-18-2021, 04:59 PM

155 posts, read 149,685 times
There are 4 seasons in a large part of the American Southwest. As Sun Grins said, that's the high desert and then into nearby mountains where summers are still warm. "High" meaning elevations above about 3,500 ft south (El Paso, Benson) to 2,000 ft north (Las Vegas, St George).

Elevation or latitude can combine - Las Vegas summers can be infernal at times like Phoenix, and Alamosa winter lows can be bitter like the northern plains or Rocky Mountain valleys.

Phoenix and Tucson are lower, so they usually have no real winter, meaning few hard freezes. But mid-winter is often cooler than the coastal slopes of southern California. Depends on how one defines winter.

Others say we have 5 seasons. From the middle section of Arizona into all of New Mexico, it's winter, spring, early summer, late summer (monsoon), and fall. I would add that in the lower desert below my elevation ranges, it's spring, early summer, hyper-summer (the summer version of a Minnesota winter), late summer (monsoon), and fall.

Last edited by nmdesert; 11-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Forgot the monsoon season

Old 11-19-2021, 03:37 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Reno isn’t the southwest. Vegas is though, and doesn’t get four seasons.

Phoenix has three seasons. Melting, monsoon, and hot. As I’m sitting here towards the end of November and it’s currently 83, I’d say it’s the hot season.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:52 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Reno isn’t the southwest. Vegas is though, and doesn’t get four seasons.

Phoenix has three seasons. Melting, monsoon, and hot. As I’m sitting here towards the end of November and it’s currently 83, I’d say it’s the hot season.
If 83 is hot to you, boy are you in the wrong place! 81 here in Tucson and it's lovely, cool and refreshing.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:57 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
If 83 is hot to you, boy are you in the wrong place! 81 here in Tucson and it's lovely, cool and refreshing.
I don’t want it to be 83 in November. I want sweater weather. Yes we have some up north but just as much as anyone else, it’s difficult for me to go up there especially on the weekends. The I-17 is a mess. I personally do want to relocate however.

You are in Tucson where things are better. A negligible difference in the summer but amount Lemmon is as close as a snow capped mountain could ever get to a city.

Out of the southwest region, half is hot desert and half is cold desert (high desert) outside of the southwest in places like California, Utah, northern Nevada, it’s about 25% hot desert (California) and 75% cold desert. Lots of people here are talking about the high desert and it’s true that the high desert has four seasons if it’s lucky enough to get snow especially with climate change, but the hot desert which is close to half of the desert land area here certainly does not.

Santa Fe is the only city in the southwest that arguably gets any reliable form of winter and that’s due to its very high elevation. But to anyone not from the southwest or southeast, the winters here are pitiful and basically fall to other places in the country. If that’s what you are looking for, then it’s a good deal. Mild winters are appealing to many. Me included. I’ve always said that ABQ and Santa Fe have some of the best weather in the US. But even there a reliable four seasons like you see out east is not going to happen, due to the sheer aridity and sunshine preventing snow from falling and snow from staying around. And also the lack of coniferous trees that change colors (yes we have some, but most of them are evergreens).

Other cities in the southwest area that get reliable snow and changing colors are also not in the desert areas, like Prescott and Flagstaff (which snows as much as Buffalo NY).

If you want a Costco sample of fall and winter then yes, this region has four seasons in some desert areas (except Santa Fe as I already stated). We are close to many places with true four seasons, but if you get stuck doing chores and catch up on the weekends you’ll find that you don’t get to use that amenity as much as you want.

For someone wanting more reliable four seasons, it’s easier to look outside of the southwest, in places like Reno, SLC, Denver for major cities, and then north from there.

Old 11-21-2021, 09:14 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Mild winters are appealing to many. Me included. I’ve always said that ABQ and Santa Fe have some of the best weather in the US. But even there a reliable four seasons like you see out east is not going to happen, due to the sheer aridity and sunshine preventing snow from falling and snow from staying around.
....And we are very happy with that kind of winter. Albuquerque has the Goldilocks four season climate. You can see the snow on the Sandias about 5,000 feet higher up but, if it snows in the city it usually lasts a few hours and you use a broom to sweep it off the sidewalks in a sweater or shirt sleeves. The sun and low humidity helps. Coming from the Midwest, this climate is heaven if you want four seasons -- but the dryness is not for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.