Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:54 AM

17,840 posts, read 13,758,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
There are tarantulas in the South? Good god. I always figured they were a tropical type of spider.
Probably more south central and desert states. Kate Aragon is scared of Tarantulas in Hot Springs but they are all over Texas as well.

You can pretty much play with them if you want to and a lot of kids do. Have them for pets and stuff. I had one friend who had one. His Tarantula's name was Jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 10:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Tarantulas range throughout most states. And guess what? Theyre harmless! Tarantulas have NEVER killed anyone in recorded history. Their venom is weak. Yet your precious dogs maim and murder hundreds of people annually, but no one seems to care about that. Pick your battles. Move to Hot Springs.
Don't care. Do not like Spiders. Call it a phobia or whatever. But that is a big no for me.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Probably more south central and desert states. Kate Aragon is scared of Tarantulas in Hot Springs but they are all over Texas as well.

You can pretty much play with them if you want to and a lot of kids do. Have them for pets and stuff. I had one friend who had one. His Tarantula's name was Jack.
I've never seen a tarantula here in NE Texas. In HSV in Arkansas, there's an actual tarantula migration season where they are literally everywhere. NO THANK YOU.

I was there once and they were walking across the road, sitting on porches, etc. BLECH.

My ex husband had a tarantula for a pet. That should have been fair enough warning right there that we weren't on the same wave length! (This was in Texas for the record.)

Maybe it has to do with weather, soil type, humidity, who knows? The only place I've ever seen a tarantula was in HSV in Arkansas. My late husband worked out in NM sometimes and he sent me a photo of a tarantula on the road out there. YIKES!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2022, 01:12 PM

8,649 posts, read 10,180,076 times
Quote:

I lived in Hot Springs for three years (had a house on Lake Hamilton) and never saw even one tarantula. I did see one once in the foothills of Tucson at Westin La Paloma Resort.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:52 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
There are tarantulas in the South? Good god. I always figured they were a tropical type of spider.
Tarantulas inhabit every southern state, all the way up to southern IL, and of course the Southwest USA/CA.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:57 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've never seen a tarantula here in NE Texas. In HSV in Arkansas, there's an actual tarantula migration season where they are literally everywhere. NO THANK YOU.

I was there once and they were walking across the road, sitting on porches, etc. BLECH.

My ex husband had a tarantula for a pet. That should have been fair enough warning right there that we weren't on the same wave length! (This was in Texas for the record.)

Maybe it has to do with weather, soil type, humidity, who knows? The only place I've ever seen a tarantula was in HSV in Arkansas. My late husband worked out in NM sometimes and he sent me a photo of a tarantula on the road out there. YIKES!!!!!!
There's no migration. Its just males out on the hunt for females when they reach sexual maturity. Its the same here in AZ. Come monsoon season, males emerge by the thousands to go mate with a female as its close to the end of their life cycle. Theyre harmless and super beneficial to the environment.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
Quote:

I always check my bananas carefully, since Harry Belafonte warned me about deadly black tarantula.

A neighbor of mine from Texas told me tarantulas used to jump up an their legs when they rode their bikes.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I lived in Hot Springs for three years (had a house on Lake Hamilton) and never saw even one tarantula. I did see one once in the foothills of Tucson at Westin La Paloma Resort.
Interesting. This was in Hot Springs Village and they were everywhere. (About 40 minutes from where you lived, I believe - and probably a higher altitude.)

Old 01-19-2022, 08:00 AM

1,864 posts, read 840,724 times
Number of snakes - Florida
Likelihood of seeing a snake - Florida
Snakes you don't want to mess with - Texas

Typically see 2-4 snakes a week along the biking/hiking trails in the D/FW area. 80-85% are of no real harm and it's always fun to pick up a rough-earth or green rough-earth. Copperheads make up most of that 20ish%, but I've seen a couple of western diamondbacks and a few encounters with coral snakes over the years. Those Copperheads are sneaky AF.

Last edited by TheProtege; 01-19-2022 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Number of snakes - Florida
Likelihood of seeing a snake - Florida
Snakes you don't want to mess with - Texas

Typically see 2-4 snakes a week along the biking/hiking trails in the D/FW area. 80-85% are of no real harm and it's always fun to pick up a rough-earth or green rough-earth. Copperheads make up most of that 20ish%, but I've seen a couple of western diamondbacks and a few encounters with coral snakes over the years. Those Copperheads are sneaky AF.
I saw a coral snake on a hiking trail in the Ouachita Mountains north of Little Rock one time! NO THANK YOU. And I'm not scared of snakes but dang. I nearly stepped on this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.