Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 01:04 PM

44 posts, read 44,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't know of a city that has both of the criteria I bolded.
would you mind sharing please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 02:27 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
It could be a challenge to have a city large enough for good public transportation that hasn’t had the school boards try to force crt into the schools.

I could recommend my city, but we do have legal marijuana.

I would take a guess that Salt Lake City would have good public transportation and maybe be blocking the divisive curriculum? I remember being shocked at the crime statistics for SLC, but often it’s certain areas of a city that generate the high numbers.

Otherwise, look to Texas or the Bible Belt?

It’s unfortunate that there are people on this thread who are only stirring the pot. Parents have every right to be involved in what their children are taught. It seems some divisive school board members are being placed onto these boards because in a larger city nearby, a board member throwing accusations and pushing crt was found to not even live in the district and what are these childless activists doing on there anyway? I say more power to you parents and best wishes to you in your search.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 02-06-2022 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 05:07 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torreodora View Post
would you mind sharing please?
Cities with good public transportation tend to be very liberal:

NYC
Boston
DC
Chicago
Philly
SF
LA
Seattle
Portland

The above are the most liberal metros in the US. Another city with good public transportation:

Atlanta

Pretty liberal too. Then you have liberal cities with bad public transportation:

Austin
Research Triangle

I think you're left with Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, a few others, but I don't think their public transportation is all that either.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion! We love CO, it is a stunning state! But were concerned that marijuana is legal there.....
Good luck with finding somewhere suitable where it is still illegal. Elsewhere, Oklahoma may vote yes on legalizing rec marijuana in November after already having the most liberal medical marijuana program in the country. Unlike with Colorado and Oklahoma, you might rather limit your attention to states where citizens are not allowed to use the petitioning process to vote yes on changing government public policy. Texas and Kansas are two examples of such states.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
We plan to rent and then hopefully buy a place to live. Rent is probably no more than ~1700-1800 for a 2 bdr apt (this is what we pay now), and as for the apt/house to buy it is hard to say at the moment, probably around $400k-$500k for 1600-1700 sq ft place.
Heck, for $1100 a month, I rent out a 1720 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home with 1 1/2 baths, double garage, central heating and cooling, fireplace, along with a shady backyard, except for a sunny place to grow a vegetable garden. If for sale, price would be no less than $150,000. But forests and/or mountains for hiking is a distant dream away.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:59 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! We are a family with kids looking for a place to live. We have spent hundreds of hours already on this forum reading many threads and see that people are giving valuable advices. We would love to hear this community opinion on the best place for us to settle. I would outline our criteria as follows:

1. Should be a city with 200,000+ population with good walkability and public transportation. Preferably it should have some places interesting for growing kids, like museums, science centers, etc.
2. There should be good school districts with focus on academics instead of things that don't belong in public schools (indoctrination, woke stuff, etc.).
3. Should be reasonably safe and drug-free.
4. We both work from home, so we are quite flexible in this respect.
5. Ideally the place should be in a geographical area with forests and/or mountains as hiking is a significant part of our lifestyle and we would like to be within a reasonable driving distance from places to hike.

Thank you in advance.
It will be hard to find all of these criteria, if not impossible. A lot of these places are going to be great on some of your criteria, whereas it will be lacking in one of your other requirements. But I think there are a few places that come pretty close to what you are looking for. With hiking being a large part of your lifestyle, I would recommend to be a bit lenient on the walkability part. Most mountainous cities tend to lack public transportation outside of Seattle, Portland, or Denver.

- Colorado Springs, CO, (I understand that legal marijuana is a concern, but it will be legal everywhere before long).

- Boise, ID

- Fort Collins, CO

- Spokane, WA

- Albuquerque, NM

- Logan/Ogden/Provo, UT

- Knoxville, TN

- Chattanooga, TN

- Roanoke, VA

- Greenville, SC

Old 02-07-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Good luck with finding somewhere suitable where it is still illegal. Elsewhere, Oklahoma may vote yes on legalizing rec marijuana in November after already having the most liberal medical marijuana program in the country. Unlike with Colorado and Oklahoma, you might rather limit your attention to states where citizens are not allowed to use the petitioning process to vote yes on changing government public policy. Texas and Kansas are two examples of such states.
Thank you, will do more research with this angle

Old 02-07-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
It could be a challenge to have a city large enough for good public transportation that hasn’t had the school boards try to force crt into the schools.

I could recommend my city, but we do have legal marijuana.
Hello, thank you so much for understanding and support. Would you mind sharing here or in a DM which city this is? If it has all other criteria except marijuana, I would like consider it as well. Thank you!

Old 02-09-2022, 08:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
Certain neighborhoods of Portland, OR would be great and could be at the high end of your budget, so maybe workable. The west side John's Landing area (called Riverdale on Zillow maps), which is between downtown Portland and Lake Oswego. Shopping and dining are walkable as long as you are close to Hwy 43 or Terwilliger Blvd. The busses run regularly along both roads. It's a high end district, so homeless tend not to be in the area for long if at all. Lake Oswego, OR would be your ideal location in the Portland metro, but is outside of your budget. On the east side of Portland, the bedroom community of Milwaukie, OR has a walkable downtown, and is on a main bus route into Portland proper, or the other direction into Gladstone and Oregon City. Both of those cities could work if you find housing within walking distance of shopping and the main bus routes.

Boise was mentioned earlier, but Boise is a driver's city. Yes, there is a bus system, but it is pretty limited. You'd need to live within walking/biking distance of downtown, or your work location. Fortunately it is pretty easy to bike into downtown from many neighborhoods along the greenbelt that runs many miles east/west across the city following the Boise River. Boise is also building condos adjacent to downtown that might be a housing option to those working/shopping/dining in the downtown area. You could find houses/apartments that would work well in Boise, it would just be a harder look and limited to some specific neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Certain neighborhoods of Portland, OR would be great and could be at the high end of your budget, so maybe workable. The west side John's Landing area (called Riverdale on Zillow maps), which is between downtown Portland and Lake Oswego. Shopping and dining are walkable as long as you are close to Hwy 43 or Terwilliger Blvd. The busses run regularly along both roads. It's a high end district, so homeless tend not to be in the area for long if at all. Lake Oswego, OR would be your ideal location in the Portland metro, but is outside of your budget. On the east side of Portland, the bedroom community of Milwaukie, OR has a walkable downtown, and is on a main bus route into Portland proper, or the other direction into Gladstone and Oregon City. Both of those cities could work if you find housing within walking distance of shopping and the main bus routes.

Boise was mentioned earlier, but Boise is a driver's city. Yes, there is a bus system, but it is pretty limited. You'd need to live within walking/biking distance of downtown, or your work location. Fortunately it is pretty easy to bike into downtown from many neighborhoods along the greenbelt that runs many miles east/west across the city following the Boise River. Boise is also building condos adjacent to downtown that might be a housing option to those working/shopping/dining in the downtown area. You could find houses/apartments that would work well in Boise, it would just be a harder look and limited to some specific neighborhoods.
Thank you. We are actually considering Portland as one of the options. Do you know anything about scholl system there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.