Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 02:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,126,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torreodora View Post
Thank you. We are actually considering Portland as one of the options. Do you know anything about scholl system there?
Lake Oswego and West Linn are considered the best of the school systems in the metro area. I hear Milwaukie's system is good. Gladstone and Oregon City are OK. The tougher ones would be the urban schools that support the SE side of Portland, which is the bigger part of the city. Not all will be "bad", but it would take more research to find the better/best ones in area.

If you were to work in the west suburbs of Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, Sherwood: they all have good school systems too. The areas would be less walkable. There are max trains and Tri-Met busses out to Beaverton, and busses to the other towns, but the further out you go the less frequent the busses. Beaverton would be the most likely walkable/commutable of those towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 10:14 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,870,905 times
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion! We love CO, it is a stunning state! But were concerned that marijuana is legal there.....
LOL, pot is going to be legal just about everywhere in the next 5-10 years.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:16 AM

I'm very surprised you are considering Portland OR, which has to be one of the most liberal cities in America, based on your criteria.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:45 AM

44 posts, read 44,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I'm very surprised you are considering Portland OR, which has to be one of the most liberal cities in America, based on your criteria.
I am learning that as I am researching more. I have only been here for 7 years, so I don't know all the US in and out. Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Old 02-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
LOL, pot is going to be legal just about everywhere in the next 5-10 years.
That gives at least some time for our kids to grow up!

Old 02-11-2022, 12:30 PM

824 posts, read 717,120 times
Weed is already everywhere even in illegal areas and alcohol alone kills so many many many many more people. Reefer madness isn’t a thing but alcohol “madness” certainly is.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:14 PM

93,787 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
I am learning that as I am researching more. I have only been here for 7 years, so I don't know all the US in and out. Thank you for sharing your knowledge
Where are you from originally and where are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking, as this could give some idea of places to look into.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where are you from originally and where are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking, as this could give some idea of places to look into.
We are originally from Europe and lived in NYC and then DFW area so far (looks like these are two extremes of the spectrum and we are looking for something in between).

Old 02-12-2022, 07:14 AM

93,787 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
We are originally from Europe and lived in NYC and then DFW area so far (looks like these are two extremes of the spectrum and we are looking for something in between).
Ok…Just to keep in mind, that places within the same state or even area can vary greatly. I use NY as an example a lot, as not everything in the state is like NYC in terms of expenses/cost of living or even political leanings. A place like Glens Falls, which was mentioned earlier, is quite different. Same with cities/places in TX, where the bigger cities may be more “liberal”/moderate(left leaning). So, you have you look beyond generalized views of states, as they may be skewed by bigger cities or state level politics, but are more nuanced/complex.

I say all of that to say that “something in the middle” could be pretty much anything outside of select cities/places versus avoiding whole states.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Liberalism in the US is tame compared to what you likely saw in Europe (except maybe the West Coast US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.