Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 10:57 AM

8,611 posts, read 14,934,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
There's literally a KOMO documentary called Seattle is Dying that I've seen linked multiple times on this forum. I was poking fun at that.
There's a copycat "Denver in Decay" video that was produced by a local right-wing hack. Downtown Denver is not without its issues, but in his eyes it may as well be a dystopian hellscape. Suburban conservatives who venture downtown maybe twice a year and then retreat to their gated communities in Douglas County before the sun sets love to share the hell out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 11:21 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,832,207 times
Yeah, there's articles like that out there about most major cities. But apart from the three usual rust belt suspects, not many people take these articles seriously.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:47 AM

2,239 posts, read 1,418,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I think the political breakdown in there is pretty interesting. Austin being the most popular with self identified republicans is a bit surprising given it's reputation as being a liberal-progressive hub of Texas. Also NYC not appearing in the top 15 of Republicans is surprising to me. Though the sample sizes used for this study aren't particularly large and having Anchorage and Abbot, TX is a bit questionable. Seems, according to this, Seattle/Boston/Chicago/LA appeal to both sides.
Sample size is apparently 8 republicans that chose Austin? I don't know if that's really meaningful. It drives me crazy that people actually publish articles attempting to draw conclusions from such miniscule amounts of data.

But, I've been saying forever that the "CALIFORNIA LIBERALS TURNING TEXAS BLUE" narrative is not accurate. Many of the hardcore liberals in California that I've met are scared of Texas and appear to think that everyone is running around indiscriminately shooting guns and unanimously supporting harsh abortion laws, etc. Moving to Texas is the last thing they would ever do. It's more often the moderates or conservatives that entertain Texas (typically with an equally ignorant understanding about Texas' political landscape by the way). The liberals in Austin come more from the other cities in Texas as it's understood within the state that Austin is the progressive hotspot and the natural place to go if you want a more left-leaning environment without completely leaving your roots behind..

Old 03-15-2022, 12:49 PM

94 posts, read 62,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I think the political breakdown in there is pretty interesting. Austin being the most popular with self identified republicans is a bit surprising given it's reputation as being a liberal-progressive hub of Texas. Also NYC not appearing in the top 15 of Republicans is surprising to me. Though the sample sizes used for this study aren't particularly large and having Anchorage and Abbot, TX is a bit questionable. Seems, according to this, Seattle/Boston/Chicago/LA appeal to both sides.

Funny how Chicago are both in the top 5 for democrats and republicans.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:01 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Pretty small sample size with ~2K students and about half of them having an out of state site they want to go to. Even smaller for Republicans given the top spot had all of 8 entries.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:17 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah, there's articles like that out there about most major cities. But apart from the three usual rust belt suspects, not many people take these articles seriously.
Cleveland, Detroit, and...? St. Louis? Buffalo? Pittsburgh? Baltimore?

Old 03-15-2022, 06:46 PM

783 posts, read 698,222 times
SF scored pretty low given the tech scene. I expected at least top 10

Old 03-15-2022, 07:31 PM

2,368 posts, read 2,332,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
SF scored pretty low given the tech scene. I expected at least top 10
If you’re a new college grad looking to build a big career in tech Silicon Valley is still the obvious choice. People can argue about the COL all they want, it’s #1 for tech.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,832,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Cleveland, Detroit, and...? St. Louis? Buffalo? Pittsburgh? Baltimore?
Dunno how the three got there. Meant to say the usual rustbelt suspects, not the three...

Old 03-15-2022, 10:50 PM

783 posts, read 698,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
If you’re a new college grad looking to build a big career in tech Silicon Valley is still the obvious choice. People can argue about the COL all they want, it’s #1 for tech.

True, but it should be more desirable. It should at least be top 10. I prefer to work someplace desirable rather than just necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.