Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 08:44 AM

924 posts, read 507,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the law works (it's possible that the state overturned it?) but you don't often see disposable plastic bags. HEB makes you buy the thicker "re-usable" plastic bags (which is kind of annoying TBH), while Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market, etc use paper bags.
I think the target on 5th still uses disposable plastic bags. HEB uses the thicker bags like you said and central market, WFM, etc. all use paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:55 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,730,411 times
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how the law works (it's possible that the state overturned it?) but you don't often see disposable plastic bags. HEB makes you buy the thicker "re-usable" plastic bags (which is kind of annoying TBH), while Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market, etc use paper bags.

Austin's main problem with the homeless is yet another "outgrown the infrastructure" situation: they need more shelter capacity given the increasingly larger population. Unfortunately, the standard progressive groupthink is that shelters are bad and we should buy the homeless permanent one bedroom apartments instead, and it turns out that is ridiculously expensive and slow to implement. Being "progressive" does not automatically mean being more intelligent.
They built a really nice shelter, feels like maybe twenty years ago? I guess it's not big enough. Even the liberals out here are not ok with homeless people camping in stores, not all liberals anyway.

Yeah, the "buy them apartments" is definitely progressive group think BS. Pass. Rehab and get back to work.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:57 AM

2,285 posts, read 1,453,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I think the target on 5th still uses disposable plastic bags. HEB uses the thicker bags like you said and central market, WFM, etc. all use paper.
Yeah I don't really go to target often but I have definitely seen plastic bags at convenience stores, clothing store, department stores, etc. I don't ever see them at grocery stores, but I also tend to go to only a handful of grocery stores so I don't know if that's based on law or the policy of the individual store.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:06 AM

2,285 posts, read 1,453,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
They built a really nice shelter, feels like maybe twenty years ago? I guess it's not big enough. Even the liberals out here are not ok with homeless people camping in stores, not all liberals anyway.

Yeah, the "buy them apartments" is definitely progressive group think BS. Pass. Rehab and get back to work.
Yeah there is the "ARCH" downtown that is always at capacity and overflowing. I'm not an expert on the local situation by any means but I don't think that they have built any large shelters like that since, as it is now taboo. They have spent a lot of money building the smaller more permanent housing in various places and also buying old motels and converting them into that, but this is an incredibly expensive, slow, and stupid approach. The problem is most definitely not a lack of progressive views by the citizens, as in pretty much every election cycle we vote in favor of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the issue, always following the latest progressive strategy that's also favored in San Francisco, LA, and Portland.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:14 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,730,411 times
Quote:
Yeah there is the "ARCH" downtown that is always at capacity and overflowing. I'm not an expert on the local situation by any means but I don't think that they have built any large shelters like that since, as it is now taboo. They have spent a lot of money building the smaller more permanent housing in various places and also buying old motels and converting them into that, but this is an incredibly expensive, slow, and stupid approach. The problem is most definitely not a lack of progressive views by the citizens, as in pretty much every election cycle we vote in favor of spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the issue, always following the latest progressive strategy that's also favored in San Francisco, LA, and Portland.
Correct. But as I posted earlier, even LA, Portland and SD have had enough.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:18 AM

2,429 posts, read 2,500,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You've described me to a T. (I'm the pissed off right-leaning guy.) Right now I'm seriously looking to move to an outer suburb of Nashville. As for Austin, if you gave me a house there for free, I wouldn't take it. (Unless I'd be allowed to turn around and sell it.)

Much as I don't like to admit it, the fact is that "It" cities are defined far more by how well they draw the young progressive techies and other creative types than how well they attract my demographic. If Nashville is an "It" city, it's despite people like me moving there, not because of it. I do see Austin as the currently preeminent "It" city, just like I saw Seattle holding that position in the 1990s, but not anymore. "It" cities are trendy, and things that are trendy have their moment in the sun and then fade away to be replaced by the next new shiny thing. In another 10-15 years or so, Austin will probably be seen as an overpriced, overcrowded, increasingly dangerous city with a declining quality of life and a big population of disaffected tech bros desperately clinging to the "keep Austin weird" vibe. I'm hoping that Nashville will still be drawing us angry right-wingers, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Not sure if you are aware but Nashville is a very liberal, left-leaning city that is very diverse, lot's of transplants, minorities, and has a large immigrant population. Tons of black history here as well. Very accepting and mixed city so don't let Broadway fool you. So much so TN state government doesn't care for Nashville city government. I will say some of the Burbs can be very conservative though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.