Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 10:49 AM

42 posts, read 41,748 times

Advertisements

These are some of the metros that I think are Bridge/Tunnel Metros due to the presence of suspension bridges, and/or cable stayed bridges, and tunnels. I will include bridges that go over water, and tunnels that go beneath water.

New York- Numerous bridges and tunnels, including some of the most grand examples of each.

Boston- Saved by the presence of good tunnels, but is included due to the presence of the bunker hill bridge.

Detroit- The Ambassador Bridge, and the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel puts them on this list.

Baltimore- It can be argued that the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is too far from Baltimore, but they have 2 good tunnels.

While there are other cities with both bridges and tunnels, they did not fit into my criteria. Do you have any other cities you would like to add to this list of Bridge/Tunnel metros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 10:55 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
New York for bridges. (Gwb, brooklyn, triborough, verrazano, driscoll, newark bay, i78, njtpk)
Boston for tunnels (summer, callahan, i90, big dig, ted williams, central artery)

That pop to my mind immediately

However, Boston also has some infamous bridges like the Zakim, the ones to seaport, Tobin, Longfellow, BU Bridge) that alot of people know of

NYC also has holland, lincoln tunnels too.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:59 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphilip View Post

Baltimore- It can be argued that the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is too far from Baltimore, but they have 2 good tunnels.
Baltimore has two large bridges in the form of the Francis Key Scott Bridge and Hanover Street Bridge

Old 10-01-2022, 11:16 AM

42 posts, read 41,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Baltimore has two large bridges in the form of the Francis Key Scott Bridge and Hanover Street Bridge
Baltimore's bridges are not suspension or cable stayed bridges, those were the bridges in my criteria, if I included other types, then other cities could make a claim to be on this list.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:49 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Pittsburgh and Portland have tunnels and pretty much every type of bridge (suspension, cable stayed, tied arch, truss, beam, etc.)

Old 10-01-2022, 11:50 AM

483 posts, read 353,402 times
San Francisco comes to mind.

Seattle/Puget Sound if you count the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

Portland has the St. Johns Bridge

Old 10-01-2022, 12:16 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Are Manhattanites the only people who refer to outsiders who come to their portion of the city as "the bridge and tunnel crowd?"

Old 10-01-2022, 12:25 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Are Manhattanites the only people who refer to outsiders who come to their portion of the city as "the bridge and tunnel crowd?"
Sf

Old 10-01-2022, 12:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Pittsburgh and Portland have tunnels and pretty much every type of bridge (suspension, cable stayed, tied arch, truss, beam, etc.)
Pittsburgh was the first city that came to mind in regards to bridges. The core is located at the confluence of 3 major rivers. The Ohio, Allegheny and that 3rd one that I always forget it's name.

Cleveland is another that comes to mind.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Pittsburgh was the first city that came to mind in regards to bridges. The core is located at the confluence of 3 major rivers. The Ohio, Allegheny and that 3rd one that I always forget it's name.

Cleveland is another that comes to mind.
Monongahela is that 3rd River.

Cleveland has several cool bridges crossing the Cuyahoga downtown, but no tunnels, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.