Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 10:37 PM

297 posts, read 245,701 times

Advertisements

In your personal experience of having lived there or some other credible source:
Which cities and states have a reputation of following the old bureaucrat axiom 'we are here to serve
our customers" instead of 'put limits on them or restrict them or make things burdensome for them'.
IOW which places have a reputation of serving the public and their staff follow that general rule?
I have had good luck of all places with AZ and IL. But that's just one man's experience. I am not speaking of business men, wealthy individuals or those with political clout. I'm talking about the average joe needing assistance. I have had bad experiences with WI ND. How about your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 06:10 AM

506 posts, read 477,786 times
No place has ever been like that ever, anywhere. Not even in a Frank Capra movie (corruption in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington). If it isn't red tape, then it's a corrupted hand under the table. Anybody who wants to do business with a government, or get a permit, or whatever, will have a bunch of official and unofficial hoops to jump through. Some places may have fewer hoops, but no place has none. This has been true since wheat and colorful beads were currency.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Yeah, government has never worked like that. It's actually better now than it ever was in the past.

Read about the spoils system sometime to see how bad things were in the 19th century. It was just considered the norm at that time that politicians would get their friends and supporters jobs in civil service, regardless of qualifications. Indeed, part of the reason you voted for a party was the promise of getting a government job! Stayed in place in some areas through the mid to late 20th century.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:44 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Governor Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi, over a century ago, once named a real-estate salesman who had no degree, as Chancellor of the Univ. of Mississippi. The Power and Light company's advertising manager was made President of the Mississippi A & M College. For the university administration board, he chose two dentists, one bank cashier, one doctor, and three lawyers.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:49 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
So as someone who has worked in government for almost 20 years, I can tell you that there are many folks who work in government who feel we are here to serve.

I know many/most will probably not believe that and point to red-tape and other bureaucratic processes as trying to cause problems. I am not trying to change their minds.

But sometimes I think people think that 'serving' them means that they get whatever they want. Unfortunately what you may want can be completely opposite of what your neighbor wants. And the government is placed in the middle.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but I just want people to know that there are many people who work in government who really do want to serve our customers.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:06 AM

Default yes I have met a few like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
So as someone who has worked in government for almost 20 years, I can tell you that there are many folks who work in government who feel we are here to serve.

I know many/most will probably not believe that and point to red-tape and other bureaucratic processes as trying to cause problems. I am not trying to change their minds.

But sometimes I think people think that 'serving' them means that they get whatever they want. Unfortunately what you may want can be completely opposite of what your neighbor wants. And the government is placed in the middle.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but I just want people to know that there are many people who work in government who really do want to serve our customers.
Generally I hate bureaucrats but a few have bent over backwards to help me. I think there a good deal of variation depending on the state and state gov. I even recall one in Fed. Gov't that was very helpful.
I am thinking maybe the regs regarding oversight of bureaucrats might play a factor here.
Sad to get so many pessimistic replies.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:10 AM

1,071 posts, read 791,131 times
Without getting too political, I'll just say that what you're looking for are states that run their bureaucracies, rather than states run by the bureaucracy. Look at things like how much influence public sector unions have.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
NJ has been the most for me.

Least? FL

Old 12-20-2022, 08:47 PM

106 posts, read 60,760 times
New Jersey is pretty bureaucratic and inconsistent. Just looking at the State’s capitol should be enough.

New York has many cool ideas but the implementation always fail to meet its demands, things exist but don’t work the way they should.

Massachusetts is the best, the government don’t ask for a lot, but it’s pretty generous. Things work properly.

Connecticut is just like New Jersey.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:16 PM

Default very good point thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Without getting too political, I'll just say that what you're looking for are states that run their bureaucracies, rather than states run by the bureaucracy. Look at things like how much influence public sector unions have.
That's something I had not thought of. And I am guessing that also is influenced by the attitudes and concerns of the governor.

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 12-20-2022 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.