Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2023, 06:15 PM

1,346 posts, read 876,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Those settlers didn't stay in Iowa. Some kept going west. The largest ancestry in Iowa is German with 35 percent. That's nothing like New England.
European immigration was higher in the Midwest and Northeast than the South and West. Wether that be Germans, Scandinavians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Italians, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 06:47 PM

372 posts, read 203,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Those settlers didn't stay in Iowa. Some kept going west. The largest ancestry in Iowa is German with 35 percent. That's nothing like New England.
So, since when is Germany not in Europe? Just wondering...

Old 04-24-2023, 08:18 PM

28 posts, read 16,094 times
Many parts of the Midwest do have a lot of people with New England roots, especially Michigan (myself included).

I wasn’t aware of very many New England settlers in Iowa, however. Like other people stated I thought most of them moved further out west.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:13 AM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
So, since when is Germany not in Europe? Just wondering...
Never said it wasn't in Europe but Germans and Scandinavians in Iowa are not the same as English/Irish who populate New England.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:25 AM

True but everyone in Iowa isn't 100% German or Scandinavian. The midwesterners before immigration are of English descent and have roots in the northeast.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:46 AM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
True but everyone in Iowa isn't 100% German or Scandinavian. The midwesterners before immigration are of English descent and have roots in the northeast.
German ancestry is incredibly overstated by people who live in Iowa and other states in the Midwest. Usually, if Americans have one or two grandparents with German ancestry, then they classify themselves as German-American and completely ignore or disregard their English ancestry, which might be greater than their German ancestry. The same phenomenon occurs with Americans who have Irish or Italian ancestry. Usually, one of the above prevails over English ancestry, especially in the Northeast.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:53 AM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
I didn't read all of the posts, but I have a hard time lumping the Midwest in with the Northeast. I'm from the South and will say "the North" but I don't mean Kansas or Iowa really when I say that. I think there's just cultural differences (cuisine, ethnic, historical influences, languages, immigration history, and a plethora of other reasons) between the North and Midwest and there's just not really a way to bridge them culturally. In some respects, yes, the Northeast and Midwest are closer to one another than the South (possibly? but frankly, not sure that's true), and the South and Southwest or w/e are closer, but I think, generally, the neatest way to parse the US is:
New England (Boston)
Mid Atlantic (Philly)
Upper South (Charlotte)
Deep South (Jackson)
Midwest plains (KC)
Upper Midwest (Minn)
Mountain West (Cheyenne)
Southwest (Tucson)
West Coast (Los Angeles)
PNW (Portland)

There's certainly overlap between some of these groups and some states have cities that belong in multiple categories (or full states for the matter), but I'd at least start with those. I just don't think St. Paul or Fargo are much like Philly or Providence.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
I didn't read all of the posts, but I have a hard time lumping the Midwest in with the Northeast. I'm from the South and will say "the North" but I don't mean Kansas or Iowa really when I say that. I think there's just cultural differences (cuisine, ethnic, historical influences, languages, immigration history, and a plethora of other reasons) between the North and Midwest and there's just not really a way to bridge them culturally. In some respects, yes, the Northeast and Midwest are closer to one another than the South (possibly? but frankly, not sure that's true), and the South and Southwest or w/e are closer, but I think, generally, the neatest way to parse the US is:
New England (Boston)
Mid Atlantic (Philly)
Upper South (Charlotte)
Deep South (Jackson)
Midwest plains (KC)
Upper Midwest (Minn)
Mountain West (Cheyenne)
Southwest (Tucson)
West Coast (Los Angeles)
PNW (Portland)

There's certainly overlap between some of these groups and some states have cities that belong in multiple categories (or full states for the matter), but I'd at least start with those. I just don't think St. Paul or Fargo are much like Philly or Providence.
Buffalo is more like St. Paul than Boston or NYC. St Louis has similarities with Baltimore. Milwaukee isn't that different from Rochester or Buffalo. Same with Cleveland. Minnesotans consider ourselves northerners. It makes no sense for only the small amount of states in the northeastern corner of the country to be the only northern states but the South can range from TX to VA.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:36 AM

676 posts, read 407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Most of the early white settlers of Iowa were descended from the Mid-Atlantic, a region with a large German, Dutch and Swedish population for much of the colonial period.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Tell someone from North Dakota or Minnesota that the north starts in GA and youll be laughed at.

Heck, tell someone in the SOUTHERN STATES that the north starts in Georgia and you'll be laughed at.

Virginia is a southern state by the way. So is NC. So is SC. For the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.