Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 01:58 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Ohio has many similarities with Pennsylvania and Upstate NY. The interior northeast isn't that different from the midwest.
I'd say that the Midwestern states on the Great Lakes are similar to the Interior Northeast. There are some places in those Midwestern states that were settled by people from that part of the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 08:39 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
North Carolina is not particularly nice outside of its major metropolitan areas and tony beach and mountain towns. First and foremost, North Carolina is an exceedingly flat state. Compared to Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee, most of North Carolina is as flat as a pancake, which really surprised me. It also lacks the deciduous greenery of states to its north and the subtropical greenery of states to its south. And lest we forget that North Carolina was the poorest colony during Colonial times.
The particularly flat parts of North Carolina are mostly east of I-95, which is only about a third of the state, while the Piedmont region is rolling to hilly just about everywhere. These aspects are similar to corresponding parts of Alabama, except North Carolina's mountains are considerably higher and more rugged. There is just as much greenery as any other state in the Southeast, and while perhaps North Carolina had less aristocratic origins than some of its peers, these days it contains some of the most prosperous metro areas in the nation.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:55 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
the only part of the northeast that could qualify to combine with the Midwest is upstate NY and Western PA. Basically, midwestern cultured area located in northeastern states.

Pittsburgh
Rochester
Buffalo.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 3,638 times
I've lived in Wisconsin, downstate NY and CNY.

In my experience, CNY and WNY almost feels like east coast cities full of less outgoing (but far more extroverted than downstate) midwesterners. The pace of life, general friendliness, and accents lean closer to the upper midwest, but the cities themselves tend to be grittier and have denser urban housing as you find throughout the northeast.

The more defining cultural tie seems to be the Great Lakes. "Midwest" is too loose a term; it can include the Dakotas, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and other regions that aren't really anything like the Great Lakes. The Great Lakes sits mostly in the midwestern US but extends into New York, and this really explains why people have so much trouble defining this part of New York.

Milwaukee is different from Buffalo for sure, but not as different as people might think. Buffalo is more different from the NYC region than it is from Syracuse, Rochester, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago or Milwaukee. It's the Northeast flavor of the Great Lakes region, but that whole "Great Lakes feel" is what ultimately prevails. Within NY, the Great Lakes pull starts to take effect just as you get west of the Catskills and builds dramatically as you approach the I90 corridor and north. There's a hint of the Inland North accent as far southeast as Binghamton, particularly in the smaller surrounding towns. By the time you get to Skaneatles it's the prevailing accent.

I guess I'd say that I consider the Great Lakes part of "the northeast," though people in the midwestern portion of this region might disagree. In my mind it makes sense to extend the northeast out through Chicago and Milwaukee, maybe as far west as Madison, and then divide it into subregions: New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Great Lakes. Midwest is an outdated historic term, but one that allot of people are emotionally attached to so it won't be going anywhere.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:47 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by del20nd View Post
I guess I'd say that I consider the Great Lakes part of "the northeast," though people in the midwestern portion of this region might disagree. In my mind it makes sense to extend the northeast out through Chicago and Milwaukee, maybe as far west as Madison, and then divide it into subregions: New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Great Lakes. Midwest is an outdated historic term, but one that allot of people are emotionally attached to so it won't be going anywhere.

I agree there is a discrete great lakes region that straggles the north east and the midwest. There are slight variations. Milwaukee/WI has some similarities with MN, Chicago with the Great Plains prairie/STL that the eastern GL lack. On the eastern portion, Syracuse has some similarities with places like Scranton PA/Springfield, MA.

I also agree the Northeast is a combo of New England, the Great Lakes, the Mid-Atlanic (I might even add Appalachia.) I tend to think of the mid-atlantic as the coastal plain/piedmont area east of the Appalachians.

I think of the Midwest as the Great Lakes and then the largely flat, agricultural till plain region of Eastern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois which does have more in common with the Great Plains area that the north east. You might even add a third region the largely unglacieted hilly areas near the Ohio River in the extreme southern portion of the region.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:59 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
the only part of the northeast that could qualify to combine with the Midwest is upstate NY and Western PA. Basically, midwestern cultured area located in northeastern states.

Pittsburgh
Rochester
Buffalo.

Yeah, Although Pittsburgh is always a hard city for me to classify. It has some clear connections to WV/Appalachia with the rugged topography, former steal and mining towns. Geographically and economically it is closely linked to the Great Lakes with the connections with NE Ohio and Erie. There are also the clear connection to the Ohio Valley/Cincinnati with the river.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:30 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

Pittsburgh
Rochester
Buffalo.
It's really the other way around -- the earlier settled parts of the midwest have similarities to the northeast because they were settled closer to the time . its incredible how many people get this backwards, because people should at least know basically which areas were settled and how. chalk it up to bad education.

why would people think parts of the northeast are more midwestern, rather than parts of the mid west are northeastern , because of the obvious settlement pattern

Old 12-16-2023, 08:27 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It's really the other way around -- the earlier settled parts of the midwest have similarities to the northeast because they were settled closer to the time . its incredible how many people get this backwards, because people should at least know basically which areas were settled and how. chalk it up to bad education.

why would people think parts of the northeast are more midwestern, rather than parts of the mid west are northeastern , because of the obvious settlement pattern
Buffalo is different though, had say the Genesee River been the NY border then Buffalo would have never existed cause it was New York State that built the Erie Canal

Had Toledo ended up in Michigan, pretty much same story

Old 12-17-2023, 11:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Buffalo is different though, had say the Genesee River been the NY border then Buffalo would have never existed cause it was New York State that built the Erie Canal

Had Toledo ended up in Michigan, pretty much same story
Buffalo was settled before the Erie Canal however and the area was raided and burnt down by the British in the War of 1812. The Buffalo River is a decent sized river so I think there would have been a port where it meets Lake Erie, even if just a small one. But you are right, it might be smaller if the Erie Canal did not exist. But then the railroads came later anyway.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:22 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I do think the Great Lakes megalopolis needs to be a thing. Struggling though it is, it has an identity (rust belt?) which is very much it’s own. As always it bleeds over into some places and blurs northeast and Midwest (WNY being a great example). Syracuse to Milwaukee is the slam dunk, could go all the way from, say, Watertown or even Plattsburgh, all the way to Minneapolis and perhaps as far south as Cinci and/or STL? STL is a real stretch, but I think the canal system plus Great Lakes stretched that far with immediate influence. Combining the entire Midwest and northeast is a bridge too far, but carving this region out makes a lot of sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.