Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 01:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Cincinnati was known for urbanity and conservatism, but I'm not sure how true that is anymore.
LOL Jerry Springer was once the Mayor of Cincinnati, and there hasn't been a Republican mayor there since the early 1970's. Maybe some of the Democrat mayors have been conservative (e.g. there was once a pro-life wing of the party) but we'd be talking about a generation ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 01:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
You probably won't find many conservative cities. But there are a lot of mixed/centrist cities (i.e. Salt Lake City).
I think that's true. Cities, because you have people living literally on top of and cheek-by-jowl with each other, attract people who aren't generally conservative to begin with.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Provo, maybe? The narrow valleys and larger than average household populations create more density than would normally be there.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I wonder what "dense" means to people who say Phoenix or Oklahoms City.
It could mean the fact that Phoenix has a much denser urban area than places like Boston.

Anyway, does anyone else get the feeling that the answer to this is probably Miami but people just don't want to say it for whatever reason?

Old 02-17-2023, 08:01 PM

27 posts, read 24,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It could mean the fact that Phoenix has a much denser urban area than places like Boston.

Anyway, does anyone else get the feeling that the answer to this is probably Miami but people just don't want to say it for whatever reason?
My question is basically asking which cities still retain an element of urban, working class conservatism of the 20th century variety. Miami, with its massive influx of immigrants in the past 50 years or so doesn’t really fit what I’m thinking of. Not to mention it’s only like 10% urban

Old 02-17-2023, 08:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehousecheddar View Post
My question is basically asking which cities still retain an element of urban, working class conservatism of the 20th century variety. Miami, with its massive influx of immigrants in the past 50 years or so doesn’t really fit what I’m thinking of. Not to mention it’s only like 10% urban
The urban working class conservatives were the immigrant class in the 20th century, right?

Old 02-18-2023, 12:22 AM

27 posts, read 24,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The urban working class conservatives were the immigrant class in the 20th century, right?
for the most part, sure. I don't think thats totally relevant though. The post-war period is when America cemented itself as what we know it as today - even if very few of these impressions of what life was like back then still hold true. I'm basically asking about "time capsule" cities, that's all

Old 02-18-2023, 04:00 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
If you go off of a list of Republican mayors for the largest cities in the US. The top 10 largest cities would be.

1. Jacksonville, Fl.
2. Fort Worth, Tx.
3. OKC, Ok.
4. Fresno, CA.
5. Mesa, Az.
6. Omaha, Ne.
7. Colorado Springs, Co.
8. Virginia Beach, Va.
9. Miami, Fl.
10. Tulsa, Ok.

It's interesting that in liberal California, Bakersfield and Fresno consistently vote for Republican mayors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 02-18-2023, 04:14 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Just remembered we had a thread here a while back where someone mapped out the "urban white working class" enclaves in the US, as assessed by:

- Minimum 70% white population
- Minimum 5,400 people per square mile (i.e. top 25% for population density in the US)
- Below national average socioeconomic status

Most of these places skew fairly conservative, at least by urban standards.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ing-class.html
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6839...YVC_PSBZd96qg0

Old 02-18-2023, 08:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

While many in the Cuban and other South American immigrants in Miami Dade vote Republican because of they experienced oppression from communist governments or other reasons specific to them, is the area really 'socially conservative'? That might be true for the metro but unlikely for the city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.