Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 12:24 PM

372 posts, read 203,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Interesting news story related to population growth...

Phoenix stops new development as water supply dwindles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7dqUud_Mc&t=1s
I posted concern on the Phoenix U.S. Forum page a couple months ago, and was pretty much told that there is NOT a water problem in Phoenix. Well, I knew better, and I think soon, those living in Phoenix will know it, as well. The reason I posted, is because we looked to possibly move there, as we're retired. After researching their water issues, it was no longer a consideration, at all. I think, in time, property values in Phoenix are going to plummet, as water is kind of essential, wouldn't you know. I do predict that in the future, the Great Lakes states will be where people move, as there is no water issue in WI or Michigan. A prediction for far down the road, but I do believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 01:37 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
On the big dig, if somewhere like Atlanta or Austin does something like this, the benefits would be huge. I mean the Big Dig could have inflated to $100 billion and the benefits would have been still way worth it. It literally help build two entirely new neighborhoods The Seaport District & Cambridge Crossing) and continue investing/making other neighborhoods more attractive.

I would love to see something like this in the sunbelt, because the benefits would be even greater. It would be truly transformational for a city like Dallas or Atlanta.
Some ideas proposed in Atlanta.

Atlanta midtown cap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ghr-Jxx0Y&

Downtown Atlanta Stitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJQ-4ht1DU

Buckhead Atlanta HUB404:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEFT9L6Pdw

None of these would involve "digging" like Boston but create a cap over the freeways.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Uhm
I have my doubts that super car centric megacities like dallas and houston keep growing quickly. Those places grew quickly because they were dirt cheap and oil was also dirt cheap. That wont be the case in the near future.
How do you figure this exactly?

By simple geometry, the bigger these metros get in terms of radius there is exponentially more land to develop. What is going to drive prices up? Sure, land values in the center of the metros could go up, but that isn't really where the growth is happening anyway.

As far as oil, what's the evidence for oil getting more expensive in the future? Going forward I don't see why the price of oil will go ever go beyond the point where fracking is economically viable. We are also moving towards cars consuming much less oil, anyway, and we could certainly get to a point in the near future where they operate purely on renewable or nuclear energy.

I think growth everywhere will slow down simply because people are having less children, but I don't see any technical reason beyond that. (It is possible that Houston could have climate issues, but even that is likely fairly easy to solve via engineering).

Old 06-05-2023, 11:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
The estimate for San Diego county is garbage. No way is San Diego county adding a million people over the next 37 years. I suspect this comes from SANDAG data, the local planning agency, and SANDAG has consistently projected higher population growth than has actually occurred, year after year.

From 2010 to 2020, county population grew 20k/year, and this was a fairly good decade for San Diego county. From 2023 to 2060, the population would have to grow 28k/year. However, this will be in a nation whose population growth is coming to a halt, and in San Diego which is a county where costs are significantly above the national average.

Given that for the last 3 years, the population has actually declined, I would be surprised if by 2060, the county adds even half of what the projection says.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:08 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post

Atlanta midtown cap:

Downtown Atlanta Stitch:

Buckhead Atlanta HUB404:

None of these would involve "digging" like Boston but create a cap over the freeways.
I love that concept. However, I would take it step further (at additional costs) and double deck the 75/85 connector with a Skyline type greenspace on top of that. There are currently a max of 14 total (7 in each direction) sustained lanes not including exits. If stacking the connector, north/south travel lanes could be expanded to 10 lanes in each direction while decreasing the current overall footprint by 4 lanes.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:31 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I absolutely agree. California and Arizona have water issues now...it will either be better 40 years from now, or conceivably worse. If population is increasing, they'd better get that water issue figured out. Also, earthquakes, Yellowstone volcano possibilities...way too far out to make predictions. My prediction would differ....the Great Lakes Region will be a very much a destination...that's where the fresh water is.
Good Lord CD loves to push this narrative.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:33 PM

2,890 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
How do you figure this exactly?

By simple geometry, the bigger these metros get in terms of radius there is exponentially more land to develop. What is going to drive prices up? Sure, land values in the center of the metros could go up, but that isn't really where the growth is happening anyway.

As far as oil, what's the evidence for oil getting more expensive in the future? Going forward I don't see why the price of oil will go ever go beyond the point where fracking is economically viable. We are also moving towards cars consuming much less oil, anyway, and we could certainly get to a point in the near future where they operate purely on renewable or nuclear energy.

I think growth everywhere will slow down simply because people are having less children, but I don't see any technical reason beyond that. (It is possible that Houston could have climate issues, but even that is likely fairly easy to solve via engineering).
Peak. Freaking. Oil.
Prices will go up quickly once more wells/regions enter peak oil. Saudi Arabia is expected to be there soon. Nobody believes their(Saudi) inflated oil numbers. Peak oil is coming soon for them(that's why they're busy investing their cash reserves right now)
Texans are known for driving more miles than most people. It won't be pretty for SUV/truck heavy Texas driver wallets.
Also, don't hybrids do best in city traffic? Texas is freeway hell, so the benefits won't be as helpful.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post

Atlanta midtown cap:

Downtown Atlanta Stitch:

Buckhead Atlanta HUB404:

I love this!

Old 06-07-2023, 06:37 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Peak. Freaking. Oil.
Prices will go up quickly once more wells/regions enter peak oil. Saudi Arabia is expected to be there soon. Nobody believes their(Saudi) inflated oil numbers. Peak oil is coming soon for them(that's why they're busy investing their cash reserves right now)
Texans are known for driving more miles than most people. It won't be pretty for SUV/truck heavy Texas driver wallets.
Also, don't hybrids do best in city traffic? Texas is freeway hell, so the benefits won't be as helpful.
Well peak oil has been discussed for going on 4 decades. What's another 4 decades going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.