Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 08:04 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

This has long been known, and one of the key arguments against forced ethnic diversity within a population. No surprise here, races have their own cultures and customs that they like to enjoy together.

It’s nobody’s fault, bather rather common sense.

When I traveled to Korea for a month and got a tummy bug, the only thing I wanted to do was find the expat community and eat American food.

When I was in rural India for a month and I bumped into an American doctor, there was an instant sense of peace and familiarity that overtakes you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 09:15 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When you are in Toronto go to any apartment building or condo in Etobicoke, Mississauga, North York etc and tell me that it is 'super enclaved' - go to any workplace or school and say the same.

As I mentioned before, there are certainly large Asian and South Asian parts in the GTA and the primary reason for this is those groups are massive each with over 1 million people. Of course they are going to have their own large enclaves, but that by no means that there isn't integration of diverse groups including those all over the city and metro, not just areas they dominate. I think I should know, I lived in these buildings for over 40 years and I've worked for over 20 of them and counting and I work with a plethora of different races, ethnicities - I seriously can't even count. Same with friends and I married a latino (I'm Caucasian- Scottish background). With a shortage of housing as well, there is no luxury for many groups to live in nodular ethnic/racial enclaves even if they wanted to.

Seattle 'feels' more functionally diverse - like what does that even mean as it relates to Toronto/GTA? How much experience have you had with Toronto. Lived there, worked there, went to school?
Having been to Seattle many, many times, and Toronto about 7...leaving for my 8th next week, I have no clue what this poster is taking about.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:38 AM

374 posts, read 258,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Since you brought up Atlanta's suburbs, there are suburbs that are extremely segregated, and there are suburbs that are extremely integrated, I grew up in an integrated suburb (Forest Park). Atlanta's a big metro and everyone generally gets to choose to be segregated or not.

Yes, you are correct. You really don't see that level of integration in places like the Chicago area.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:41 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Then there's Denver - on paper a very diverse place but in function it's a bit of a hivemind in culture - sports, beer, dogs, skiing, crossfit, Salt & Table type of restaurants..
Denver isn't diverse on paper.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:41 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Having been to Seattle many, many times, and Toronto about 7...leaving for my 8th next week, I have no clue what this poster is taking about.
thanks Nat

Have fun in the Six... and your travels

Old 06-06-2023, 09:44 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yeah I agree. On no level does Seattle feel more diverse than Toronto. Not even close.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:19 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Indians in Southern California typically don't cluster up like other ethnic groups, particularly white collar professional types. I notice the same thing in Texas cities with a high # of white collar professional Indians such as DFW and Austin, they are generally spread around the more well to do part of town. On the contrary though, I did notice that in Fresno the rest of the California Central Valley Punjabi Indians did tend to cluster in their own areas.

Here in San Diego County the diversity also comes in clusters so it is not always apparent if you stick to one particular area. But if you visit a neatral area with a store like Ikea that is not available anywhere else in the area, this is where you will see San Diego's diversity come together in one spot. Same thing with the central beaches/bay parks.

Last edited by malcorub16; 06-06-2023 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-08-2023, 11:18 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So you come to such a conclusion about an entire city and metro based on an observation in one area of it during a small period of time. Seems reasonable to me.
First impressions. We all form them when encountering someone or something new to us. My comment about Toronto's diversity is not an expert analysis, because I am not qualified to make such an analysis about a place that I have visited only once in my life. (Or twice, if you count driving through it on the way to someplace else.) But I am qualified to form first impressions.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
First impressions. We all form them when encountering someone or something new to us. My comment about Toronto's diversity is not an expert analysis, because I am not qualified to make such an analysis about a place that I have visited only once in my life. (Or twice, if you count driving through it on the way to someplace else.) But I am qualified to form first impressions.
Fair enough and you are absolutely qualified for your first impressions as we all are. I was just providing you with more to go by to take into account in the metro writ large.

Btw residentially, NYCC where you were is highly east Asian that is true. You can see that by a lot of the restaurants there. That said, there are a lot of corporate offices in that area, so you'd get more of a daytime blend. Like Any large and diverse city though, you will get nodular areas where certain groups dominate. That is why we have in so many large diverse cities a little italy, little india, little korea etc. Cities that aren't very diverse however, don't usually have the critical mass for these and thus those groups probably do sort of just blend in with other groups because they are so small.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:25 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
This has long been known, and one of the key arguments against forced ethnic diversity within a population. No surprise here, races have their own cultures and customs that they like to enjoy together.

It’s nobody’s fault, bather rather common sense.

When I traveled to Korea for a month and got a tummy bug, the only thing I wanted to do was find the expat community and eat American food.

When I was in rural India for a month and I bumped into an American doctor, there was an instant sense of peace and familiarity that overtakes you
Yeah, there is a lot of truth to the most people like to self select to socialize with people that are like them. But my sense is that sort of fades a little over time. If your first gen Korean immigrant its only natural you will want Korean food/cultural activities and socialize with other Koreans. But if you grow up in the US you will have more connections to the broader culture. Sort of like how distinct Italian American communities have declined as the population has assimilated and intermarried across generations. Same thing with white people, if you are in your 50s/60s it's not too surprising your friends would be overwhelmingly white. But if you are younger and growing up in a more diverse time/place it would be a little weird to have only white friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.