Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

I would say Oak Park is diverse as well as segregated.

East of Ridgeway is less affluent and less diverse, primarily Black as you approach Austin. As you approach River Forest and Harlem it is mostly white and affluent.

Sukwoo,

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Overall OP is about 65% white, 25% black, 10% other. There are two large apartment "belts" in OP, along Washington St and Austin Blvd. Given economic realities of today, African-Americans are disproportionately represented in rentals in OP relative to the white population. Aside from the rental population, there is an increase in African-American population as you go from west to east in OP, again likely explained by real estate pricing. That being said, there's no place in OP that 90% white and 10% black or vice versa. By contemporary American standards, that's pretty integrated. Also keep in mind the whole village is only 4.5 square miles, so its not like the different parts of town are all that far away from each other.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM

220 posts, read 744,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I would say Oak Park is diverse as well as segregated.

East of Ridgeway is less affluent and less diverse, primarily Black as you approach Austin. As you approach River Forest and Harlem it is mostly white and affluent.
First, it's Ridgeland.

Second, "primarily black"? You are completely wrong. I would say that the only area that is more "segregated" by race is the northwest corner of the Village. Probably, bordered by Augusta, Harlem, North, & East. But that is using the term loosely. This is probably more income self-segregation than racial self-segregation.

Oak Park is pretty uniformly diverse across the Village.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Default I agree it is more income segregation

I agree with Mendelman that it is more income segregation than racial segregation in Oak Park.

You are correct. It is Ridgeland.

Sukwoo,

Is the area near Division and Harlem not 90% white or more?

I would say Oak Park is more racially diverse than it is economically diverse. Though it is economically diverse as a whole, there are certainly areas as you approach River Forest that are more affluent.

I like eating at Chipotle in downtown Oak Park (1-2 times a week) and can see a noticeable difference in the people as I drive down Lake going east. I usually turn at Austin and take it north to north avenue before proceeding further east.

It still shocks me how the area deteriorates after you cross Austin Avenue. I am impressed with how Oak Park has been able to stay nice while so many areas have not. Then again, mass transit access to the loop and good housing stock along with a good public school will keep property values up.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I agree with Mendelman that it is more income segregation than racial segregation in Oak Park.

You are correct. It is Ridgeland.

Sukwoo,

Is the area near Division and Harlem not 90% white or more?

I would say Oak Park is more racially diverse than it is economically diverse. Though it is economically diverse as a whole, there are certainly areas as you approach River Forest that are more affluent.

I like eating at Chipotle in downtown Oak Park (1-2 times a week) and can see a noticeable difference in the people as I drive down Lake going east. I usually turn at Austin and take it north to north avenue before proceeding further east.

It still shocks me how the area deteriorates after you cross Austin Avenue. I am impressed with how Oak Park has been able to stay nice while so many areas have not. Then again, mass transit access to the loop and good housing stock along with a good public school will keep property values up.
Division and Harlem? I obviously don't know the exact racially breakdown of every individual block in OP. I will say that I live in northwest OP (the 8122 census tract; http://www.oppl.org/research/census/pdf/20001990-optract.PDF (broken link)), and walking around my neighborhood, I'd guestimate the African-American population is a bit above 10%, but of course, I have no real numbers to back that up.

Regarding racial stability in Oak Park (ie lack of white flight), it was a near thing. Back in the 60s and 70s, the prevailing wisdom was that white flight and economic decline was inevitable given the geographic situation Oak Park was in. It took active efforts on the part of the community and government to maintain white demand for housing in OP. In fact, many of the old-stype Oak Parkers (the stereotypical "dear old Oak Parker" or DOOPers were WASP Republican bankers) did flee and were replaced by liberal "hippy" UIC professors and the like.

These liberal whites were attracted by the old houses and good transit, but also because Oak Park welcomed integration through passage of its landmark Fair Housing Ordinance. Thus, ironically, by being receptive to African-Americans instead of fighting integration, Oak Park saved itself from the fate of its neighbors to the east. Still it was a close call. The population of OP dropped by about 10,000 from its peak, crime increased, and businesses left town.

BTW, I eat at that Chipotle 1-2 times a week also. I'm surprised I haven't run into you there.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 05-27-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM

71 posts, read 269,441 times
I live east of Ridgeland and the blocks around us are very mixed with African-Americans, Whites, and Asians. Very, very few Latinos, though.

Austin Blvd. is primarily African-American, but the rest of Oak Park (even the super expensive west side) is really well integrated. There are not really segregated pockets like in Evanston or other areas.

People who move here tend to value racial and economic diversity. They're willing to pay a lot for it!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,764 times
Interesting article but I don't think that's the future of Oak Park.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Clevland == rust belt

Chicago? Not so much.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:04 PM

249 posts, read 685,507 times
Wow ... I actually thought I recalled an incident similar to this -- the UIC professor killed on the street walking home from the Blue Line in SE Oak Park. But when I looked it up, I came across another story from probably the best neighborhood of Oak Park that parallels the Shaker Heights story even more closely:

Doctor's family offers $10,000 reward in fatal Oak Park attack -- Health, University of Illinois at Chicago -- chicagotribune.com

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Oak Park is not getting worse

Oak Park is not getting worse.

Elmwood Park is starting to get worse as is Forest Park. I wonder what will happen with all the nice mixed use developments being built on Madison Avenue in Forest Park if that area gets worse. Elmwood Park used to be a fortress but that seems to be beginning to change. Too bad.

Maywood is bad and is seeping into Melrose Park. Stone Park already has problems but is a very small community.

Maywood is not moving east (River Forest). Austin is not moving west. No way Oak Park west of Ridgeland ever gets bad, too much money there. Actually, Oak Park is still nice until a few blocks from Austin. Those apartment building along Austin Avenue serve as a buffer zone between Austin and Oak Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs