Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How diverse is your local area?
Not very diverse, and I'm part of the majority population 17 20.00%
Somewhat diverse, and I'm still part of the majority population 28 32.94%
Diverse, and there is no single group with a strong majority 22 25.88%
Somewhat diverse, and I'm part of the minority population 15 17.65%
Not very diverse, and I'm part of the minority population 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:35 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That can't be for the whole community, as Teaneck is known for being a diverse community demographically.
Im sure but there are census tracts with heavy Hasidic Jewish populations, especially by the Bergenfield/New Milford border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:37 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I can find updated stats but I'm in a NW DC neighborhood. One of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city and only slowly gentrifying as its far from trendy amenities / metro. Currently its majority Black and Hispanic with good socioeconomic diversity as well.

Teaneck is pretty diverse. Big Black (including Jamaicans) and Hispanic populations. It has a well known black middle class population as well. No way its it 85%+ white in 2023.

Also for Portuguese food, stay in New Jersey. Newark (Ironbound), Kearny, Elizabeth etc. There's also a lot of Brazilian in those areas too.
I havent got around to the Ironbound yet, oddly enough. I will soon though. I was actually just looking at Portugalia Sales as a store.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:40 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm in Irvine. It's mainly Asians and whites. So not sure if that's diverse or not.
Being in the same general area as you, I feel like where we live is ethnically and culturally very diverse. The stats are Anglo whites (38%), Hispanics (34%), Asians, especially Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese (23%). There are so many Middle Easterners and Persians. But as soon as someone hears that Orange County is only 2% black, it's immediately labeled "lily white" and "not diverse at all."

So I guess "diverse" means "black."

Old 09-25-2023, 12:42 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Being in the same general area as you, I feel like where we live is ethnically and culturally very diverse. The stats are Anglo whites (38%), Hispanics (34%), Asians, especially Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese (23%). There are so many Middle Easterners and Persians. But as soon as someone hears that Orange County is only 2% black, it's immediately labeled "lily white" and "not diverse at all."

Same has been done to Austin which is technically less than half white

Old 09-25-2023, 04:03 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I havent got around to the Ironbound yet, oddly enough. I will soon though. I was actually just looking at Portugalia Sales as a store.
Just gps Ferry St. and you'll be in the heart of it. Fun spot.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
we live in a college town, so there is at least a little bit of everything
and a lot of some things. we are in the white majority, but just barely.
Latinos outnumber AA's, and the Asian percentage increase outstrips all.
about 16% are first-timers in the USA (not citizens). 60/40 females/males
mainly due to the college and the AARP crowd, but the public schools have
about the same student ratio. something in the water?

Old 09-25-2023, 07:12 PM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Diverse does not mean "black", but the total absence of black residents does ding its diversity status.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
I live in San Antonio. The city has definitely become more diverse since when I was a kid. It is still lacking behind other cities. The main group is Hispanics (mostly Mexicans and tejanos), there is about 20-30% whites and then about 10-15% black. Then a small amount of Asians. I am mostly white and people tend to assume I am not hispanic. I don’t speak Spanish. Still I don’t think I am treated badly or anything.

Personally I am fine with the diversity of San Antonio. In general I don’t like how big of a city it has become but this isn’t for diversity reasons.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Diverse does not mean "black", but the total absence of black residents does ding its diversity status.
It is definitely a more diverse place than San Antonio I think

Old 09-25-2023, 07:22 PM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
It is definitely a more diverse place than San Antonio I think
Its far more diverse than San Antonio, but its less diverse a place like Northern Virginia which still has a lot of Asians and Hispanics (albeit not as many) but it has a lot more Africans and African Americans. NOVA also has a more balanced portfolio of South and East Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.