Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How diverse is your local area?
Not very diverse, and I'm part of the majority population 17 20.00%
Somewhat diverse, and I'm still part of the majority population 28 32.94%
Diverse, and there is no single group with a strong majority 22 25.88%
Somewhat diverse, and I'm part of the minority population 15 17.65%
Not very diverse, and I'm part of the minority population 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 05:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Diverse does not mean "black", but the total absence of black residents does ding its diversity status.
I disagree, its just a different form of diversity. It would be like if I claimed Miami is not diverse because it has very few Asians.

Now I do think Miami is less diverse than it seems (due to language barriers) but I would never call it NOT diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 03:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Metro Atlanta is very diverse as a whole, but certain parts of the region are more homogeneous - both heavily White outer exurbs and predominantly Black areas in parts of the city and inner ring southern suburbs. There are a few residential areas scattered around the metro mostly occupied by other groups such as Mexicans/Central Americans or South Asians.

My specific area in Cobb County doesn't have a majority race/ethnic group and has plenty of transplants from across the US and beyond as well as some local natives, and many other communities in the metro area are similar. I wouldn't recommend this area to those who want to live somewhere they seldom encounter people from different backgrounds.
Yeah, my neighborhood in Northwest DeKalb County (Chamblee) is very similar, and I love it. I live about 1/4 mile from Buford Hwy, so we enjoy access to amazing ethnic restaurants and markets. Our section of Buford Hwy is mostly dominated by Mexican & Vietnamese places, with a great Greek place and Seafood joint owned by an ex-New Orleans native thrown in for good measure. I'm within 15 minutes of everything from Kroger and Publix to Lidl, Super H Mart & Whole Foods. Being in between the two CDC campuses brings a very global mix of neighbors as well. It's a very friendly and interesting group of folks, and I have no desire to ever leave.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:24 PM

533 posts, read 822,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I disagree, its just a different form of diversity. It would be like if I claimed Miami is not diverse because it has very few Asians.

Now I do think Miami is less diverse than it seems (due to language barriers) but I would never call it NOT diverse.
I disagree with the claim that Orange County, CA and Austin, Tx are considered "lily white." I could see that for Orange County years ago, but not today, by anyone who knows much about it. Of course, someone could be talking about a specific part of Orange County.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:26 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Where is this?
South Coast of Massachusetts. Anything in between Providence-Newport-Buzzards Bay-Middleborough-Brockton-Stoughton-Attleborough-Providence, is extremely Portuguese/Cape Verdean/Azorean.

I am a Portuguese American.

Fall River and New Bedford have 200,000 people combined and are about half Portuguese.

Back in the 1970s, Fall River was over 75% Portuguese and parts of New Bedford were closer to 90% Portuguese.

As time as progressed, these areas have come more diverse from other Portuguese speaking countries like Cape Verde, Brazil, and Angola. This is attracting people from 3 continents. Pretty fast too.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:43 AM

271 posts, read 302,561 times
I live in a suburb of Atlanta that is considered one of the best places to live in Metro Atlanta. Our area is incredibly diverse, with a majority minority. I have neighbors that are Black, Asian, S. Asian, White, Hispanic.

The NE suburbs of Atlanta are truly diverse and we love it here.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:46 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
JNU, AK. Not very diverse, mostly white.

White alone, percent  64.7%
Black or African American alone, percent(a)  1.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent(a)  10.1%
Asian alone, percent(a)  6.7%

Old 09-28-2023, 08:58 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
I live in a suburb of Atlanta that is considered one of the best places to live in Metro Atlanta. Our area is incredibly diverse, with a majority minority. I have neighbors that are Black, Asian, S. Asian, White, Hispanic.

The NE suburbs of Atlanta are truly diverse and we love it here.
I live in North Dekalb and 100%. There are only a couple of places more diverse than this area in this country, and not by much. It's always striking to me when I travel to another city and I'm immediately reminded that the sort of diversity you find in NE Atlanta isn't common at all in most places. We have a true gem.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
I live in a neighborhood in Northwest Philadelphia. Northwest Philly tends to skew whiter and likely older than the citywide average, and my neighborhood is certainly no exception. As a young black dude, I am certainly in the minority; however, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. All of my neighbors are nice and pleasant, we all take pride in our section of the neighborhood, and I'm frequently waving and saying hi to people. To add even further to the diversity of the area, my wife is white. We have never had an issue when holding hands, dining, or showing affection in public.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:15 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post

Diversity has to be taken as a whole. You can have racial diversity and ethnic diversity, but they have to be weighed against each other. Boston for example is very ethnically diverse but it is not racially diverse. So if you're comparing Boston to a place that is both racially and ethnically diverse (like the DC area or NYC), I would say it is less diverse than those.

If you're comparing Boston to a place that racially diverse but not as ethnically diverse (like Las Vegas), it then comes down to scale. Who has more of what. Boston would easily come out on top there.

Its all part of the same puzzle, but the puzzle should be looked at as a whole.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:42 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Lakewood, WA in 2020:
48.1% NH White
12.9% Black
7.7% Asian
18.5% Hispanic
1.2% Native
https://cityoflakewood.us/220322_census_data/

It also has a wide socioeconomic spectrum, from gated mansions along the lakes to run-down apartment complexes by the freeways. So demographically, Lakewood is basically America.

Nevertheless, I do feel out-of-place there. I'm a late-20s guy who... nominally wants to get married with kids, but isn't really doing anything to make that happen, and would definitely not settle down there. It feels like everyone there is already either settled with kids, or is stuck in some low-paying dead-end job and just doesn't have opportunities to leave. I want urbanity and nightlife and there is little of that there (although, being in the St. Louis area the past few days, I have really started to appreciate how extensive the Seattle/Tacoma region's suburban public transit is). For a cherry on top, the huge military base in/adjacent to town really adds to the "not my people" feel.
Do you live there because you work in Tacoma or somewhere in the South Sound? Have you considered living somewhere like Burien instead? The urbanity and nightlife isn't great there, but it's much better than Lakewood, and you're way closer to Seattle. Also, you wouldn't be dealing mostly with people tied to the Military Base. Burien is probably a little pricier than Lakewood but I don't think by that much, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.