Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 01:42 PM

638 posts, read 348,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How about Leadville, CO and Asheville, NC? They're the only 'city' in the US that's high enough and big enough to reminds me of Cuzco.
Leadville population is too small. There are literally hundreds of mountain towns out west with less than 25K people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 01:46 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes, you can get to the mountains quickly but it's not in the mountains like people think it is.
No one who's actually been thinks it's in the mountains. People on CD and elsewhere on the internet like to exaggerate how far it is from the mountain.

Are there really any sizable city that's actually in the mountains? Even if you can find a large enough valley transportation, water and other challenges would make it noneconomical. I can't think of any 1 million+ city in the world.

Old 12-26-2023, 02:12 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
LA, San Francisco, and Portland are all pretty much at sea level. Y'know, beaches, shipping industry...
They do have parts of each city in the mountains which counts for something.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
No one who's actually been thinks it's in the mountains. People on CD and elsewhere on the internet like to exaggerate how far it is from the mountain.

Are there really any sizable city that's actually in the mountains? Even if you can find a large enough valley transportation, water and other challenges would make it noneconomical. I can't think of any 1 million+ city in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
You can be in the mountains within 15-20 minutes from downtown Denver. Many of the burbs are right up against the foothills, or even partially within them (Morrison, Golden, etc.).
I acknowledged this on post #22.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes, you can get to the mountains quickly but it's not in the mountains like people think it is.
I don't think I've ever heard of people thinking it's in the mountains. No major metro area is on a mountain.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:37 PM

638 posts, read 348,560 times
Quote:

La Rinconada in Peru is just above 16,500 feet and has a population of 30K. It is pretty crazy there and visitors sniff O2.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
La Rinconada in Peru is just above 16,500 feet and has a population of 30K. It is pretty crazy there and visitors sniff O2.
30k is not big. I've been to Cuzco and that felt like a real city.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:30 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
They do have parts of each city in the mountains which counts for something.
No. No part of those cities is "in the mountains". There may be mountains within a few hours drive from each, but that does not count for anything.

I've lived in San Francisco, have visited the other two many times.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:00 AM

2,275 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of people thinking it's in the mountains. No major metro area is on a mountain.
I'd say Phoenix is the closest large metro to being "in the mountains". It literally has mountains within it (just not the huge ones with pine trees that most people think of when they think of mountains because, well, it's in a desert). Camelback Mountain, Phoenix Mountains Preserve, Lookout Mountain, and North and South Mountain are all within Phoenix proper or one of it's suburbs. It is surrounded on 3 sides by more mountains (Estrellas, White Tanks, Superstitions) and a 20 minutes drive north from Anthem you are hitting more mountains around Black Canyon City/Bumblebee/Crown King.

Go south of the US and there are more major metros that I'd consider "in the mountains".
Cuzco, Peru.
La Paz, Sucre, and Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Santiago, Chile.
Quito, Ecuador.
Mexico City and Toluca, Mexico are literally surrounded by mountains.
Bogota, Colombia

Go to the eastern hemisphere and there are more, too:

Kathmandu, Nepal
Nagano, Japan
Kunming, China
Lhasa, Tibet, China
Dali, China
Lijiang, China
Grenoble, France
Innsbruck, Austria
Turin, Italy
Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina
Skopje, Macedonia
Bilbao, Spain

Old 12-29-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I'd say Phoenix is the closest large metro to being "in the mountains". It literally has mountains within it (just not the huge ones with pine trees that most people think of when they think of mountains because, well, it's in a desert). Camelback Mountain, Phoenix Mountains Preserve, Lookout Mountain, and North and South Mountain are all within Phoenix proper or one of it's suburbs. It is surrounded on 3 sides by more mountains (Estrellas, White Tanks, Superstitions) and a 20 minutes drive north from Anthem you are hitting more mountains around Black Canyon City/Bumblebee/Crown King.

Go south of the US and there are more major metros that I'd consider "in the mountains".
Cuzco, Peru.
La Paz, Sucre, and Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Santiago, Chile.
Quito, Ecuador.
Mexico City and Toluca, Mexico are literally surrounded by mountains.
Bogota, Colombia

Go to the eastern hemisphere and there are more, too:

Kathmandu, Nepal
Nagano, Japan
Kunming, China
Lhasa, Tibet, China
Dali, China
Lijiang, China
Grenoble, France
Innsbruck, Austria
Turin, Italy
Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina
Skopje, Macedonia
Bilbao, Spain
I forgot about Mexico City although it doesn't really feel like you're in the mountains since you couldn't really see the peaks from most of the city. Lijiang is a tourist town not really a city. I do hope to visit the other places on the list soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.