Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 04:55 PM

182 posts, read 204,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Geography kind of prevents modern cities from being built within a mountain range. Many cities are built at higher elevations and surrounded by taller peaks which for this conversation should qualify.
That sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
TThere just aren't many +25k mountain cities that aren't in valleys. Flagstaff is about the only one I can come up with, and maybe Bend (though lots of wildfire smoke in recent years).
Yeah, Flagstaff is the best example of what I'm looking for that I have found. Not sure there really is anything else.

I may consider a smaller town, but it couldn't be too small and it would need all the basic amenities as well as apartment options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 09:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
How do you define "mountainous"?

Places like Denver is next to mountains but is also next to plain on 3 other side. Does have high elevation, though.

A few WV cities like Clarksburg or Morgantown are in uplands - but doesn't exactly have prominent mountains next to it. Perhaps more "hilly" than "mountainous". Pittsburgh is similar in that regards - actually probably more elevation changes within Pittsburgh than, let say, Denver.

Otherwise, Asheville NC is the one that definitely comes to mine being "mountainous" / "in the mountain". Roanoke VA also. Cumberland MD is a bit too small but definitely "mountainous" (although it's depressing also).

Old 01-02-2024, 03:39 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
Yeah, Flagstaff is the best example of what I'm looking for that I have found. Not sure there really is anything else.

I may consider a smaller town, but it couldn't be too small and it would need all the basic amenities as well as apartment options.
I'd say Flagstaff qualifies as it is quite an ascent and big climb coming up I-17 from Phoenix through the mountains, up the mountain, with grand the peaks back dropping the city when you arrive. It does have the feel of an overgrown mountain town with a charming but small pioneer feeling downtown. The railroad is very prominent through the middle of town and the NAU campus is across the tracks.

The rest of the city is mostly suburban and a bit commercial then it fades into rural areas fairly fast. I don't see myself living in Southwest again, but I could live in Flagstaff. Its surroundings (alpine peaks, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Ponderosa pine forests) are quite magnificent.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:17 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Some non-traditional thoughts: You could look at big city adjacent: Someplace like Manito Springs, CO adjacent to Colorado Springs. Even the western bit of CO Springs (west of the freeway) grows up and round the slopes of Cheyenne Mt and Pikes Peak, and others. In the Denver area, maybe Estes Park as an example of a small tourist town that's not too far out.

You could look at West Linn/Wilsonville OR with Peat's Mountain between the two and lots of expensive housing on the slopes all around. Both towns start at the river level and climb significantly to their eventual high points, with ridges, bluffs, benches and canyons spread throughout. McMinnville, OR, a city of 35K, is another choice in the Coast Range mountains. They aren't high snow capped peaks, but heavily forested peaks with housing going close to the tops.

Even Flagstaff, AZ is mostly on level ground with the mountains adjacent, and suburbs/housing lots built up the slopes. Bend, OR has a very similar look.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:39 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Cumberland MD is a bit too small but definitely "mountainous" (although it's depressing also).
I'm actually rather fond of Cumberland, myself.

It's surrounded by mountains, but I'm not sure it would count by the OP's standards, because it sits in a valley. Its elevation is just 627 feet above sea level. Frostburg, just 8 miles to the west, sits at 2,070 feet. I-68 heading west from Cumberland, and even more so after La Vale, is a long, uphill slog. (Heading east, it's a steep but shorter upgrade before transitioning to a more roller-coaster experience through the mountains.)

Old 01-08-2024, 09:49 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
Montrose, Co

Old 01-08-2024, 09:53 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
Flagstaff has the most snow of any city I have ever been to ,it snow there a lot

Old 01-11-2024, 11:59 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Though the city is only about 14,000, this is another place that comes to mind: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Its urban area would meet the criteria though.

A street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...hy22?entry=ttu

More info: https://www.glensfalls.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-11-2024 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 06:46 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Missoula
Rapid city
Bozeman
Spokane
Bend
Reno
NWA
El Paso
Santa Fe
Tucson
Flagstaff
Parts of Denver
SLC
Asheville
Roanoke
Charlottesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.