Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 01:55 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenia58 View Post
Hello,
We are a couple nearing 60. Not planning to retire right now. But we are in Midwest and after 10 years of our stay, getting really tired of snow and cold here. We thought of moving to Texas but not sure if we can handle the traffic etc. We love warm weather but don’t want to move to Florida. What are our other options? Snowbirding isn’t our thing. We like warm weather but not too hot, hate snow. Any suggestions?
Thanks
This question -- and many other questions similar to this -- is discussed in depth and repeatedly on the Retirement forum, so you might check there, too.

(Just FYI )

Last edited by katharsis; 02-18-2024 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 3,704 times
Thanks a lot everyone. This has been a great help. I will do more research and update here.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
LOL this is so crazy. I am moving to the Cincinnati area (SW Ohio) from NE Texas (between Dallas and Tyler), mainly to be near family but also because my family is sick of the summers in Texas! I am too, to be honest. Here in NE Texas we have Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas. Seriously. And it gets hot, hot, hot and humid here. In fact, it gets hotter and more humid in other areas of Texas. So nope, I am done with it and am moving midwest. Cincinnati gets about 20 inches of snow a year but it melts quickly, thankfully, within a day or two at the most. I am ready!

Old 02-18-2024, 03:36 PM

Also, one person's idea of bad traffic may not be another person's idea of bad traffic.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:38 PM

Texas has very, very high property taxes to make up for not having a state income tax. Two things in life are certain, death and taxes, right? So think about that too. Actually I think overall, taxes in Texas are a bit higher than in Ohio, but I am not sure about other locations. Both Texas and Ohio are sort of middle of the pack when it comes to overall taxes.

For instance, I am 62 and my property taxes cannot be frozen till I am 65. Meanwhile, on a 2200 square foot house built in 2004, my property taxes in Texas are a bit under $6000 a year. And that's in a pretty rural area outside of Tyler and Dallas! Yikes! And they are only going in one direction!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-18-2024 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 03:53 PM

And I am sorry, but it sucks to have to decide between a short sleeve T-Shirt and a long sleeve T-Shirt on FREAKING THANKSGIVING. My gosh, that's the freaking end of NOVEMBER. It has been over 60 degrees on Christmas Day here before. I mean, like, since I have lived here. It's also snowed here (didn't stick but it was pretty) before Thanksgiving. So it can go eother way. Usually, the hot way.

Wednesday, in mid February, it's supposed to be 80 degrees. All of August is over 90 degrees and humid and you may think you are dying. In September and October, it's STILL hot. Honestly, I am just so sick of the heat, which never seems to end till Christmas. and even during the month of December, I am a bit hesitant to light candles because of the dang heat! It's ridiculous.

Can you tell I am sick of the Texas heat? Oh, and I have lived throughout the south most of my life and I am sorry but it's just hot and humid just about anywhere. My favorite spots in the south are southern Virginia, and most of Tennessee. I like northern Georgia too but it's also hot. Not as hot as Texas though!

To me, the traffic in the big cities of Texas is terrible but not so bad in other smaller cities and towns. One thing I really love about Texas is the food - BBQ, Tex Mex, Mexican, all sorts of Asian, you name it, it's here. Did you know I had never even had tequila or any Mexican food other than from Taco Bell before I moved here? It was amazing! I thought I had died and gone to Food Heaven. That's one thing I notice about other places, the diversity of the restaurants. That's one thing I really like about southern Virginia and also most of Tennessee as well as Texas.

Seems a bit less diverse in Ohio. Oh well. At least I will be in the Cincinnati area so it should be fine.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-18-2024 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 04:44 PM

968 posts, read 517,163 times
Buy map of US. Look at map. See areas that are way at the bottom. Move there.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
You should investigate Prescott area in Arizona. It is a significantly higher elevation than Phoenix, so it does not get as hot.

Elevation does make a big difference in climate.

Another place to investigate is Lake Havasu City, which is on the Colorado river, north and west of Phoenix.

Texas is such a large state that there are many possibilities. There are many smaller cities and towns that don't suffer with with the traffic like DFW and Houston. We always had a pleasant time in San Antonio, although we never lived there.

We have moved to Florida twice, we moved in Florida 6 times. It is not all the same.
I think Lake Havasu City would be too hot for OP.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:41 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I am sorry, but it sucks to have to decide between a short sleeve T-Shirt and a long sleeve T-Shirt on FREAKING THANKSGIVING. My gosh, that's the freaking end of NOVEMBER. It has been over 60 degrees on Christmas Day here before. I mean, like, since I have lived here. It's also snowed here (didn't stick but it was pretty) before Thanksgiving. So it can go eother way. Usually, the hot way.
To each their own. People must think I am crazy to wear canvas cotton year around but long story short, I grew up at Clark AFB, Fort Hood, in the Middle East, so i suits me.

SO....ask those who have similar backgrounds for you best answers.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:45 PM

17,780 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think Lake Havasu City would be too hot for OP.
No kidding. If Phoenix was too hot.

Problem I see is that any places that aren't at altitude are hot in summer and the summer is long.

Places that have a little bit shorter summers are still really hot and then you start to get into some snow.

I am going to nominate NW Arkansas as a pretty good place to consider. Some snow and cold but not a lot. Summers are hot but are pretty much only June to mid September. Beautiful fall and spring.

Has most everything else OP was asking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.