Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

26 posts, read 90,842 times

Advertisements

Today 09:49 AM
jharris213

A great place to raise my family????? My husband interviewed for a job where you can live just about anywhere in the USA. We have the opportunity to live anywhere. We have 2 kids - 4 and 6 years old. We like to bike and walk and play!!! Prefer nice weather, but will endure some winter for a great place. Excellent Schools are a must and a small to medium city near by for stuff to do. Traffic and commutes dont pose a problem for us. We are looking in the 300-400k price range for a home...I am hoping people can help us find a great place to live with all of the above!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
jharris213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 223,274 times
Franklin, TN.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
St. charles, IL - we live there now. I love it, exception of high IL taxes/fuel prices though.

Bike path goes right through town. Excellent schools. Excellent park district. Metrarail to chicago downtown if you like - although a big long for a reasonable daily commute cause it takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours daily each way. Good shopping. Good hospital healthcare availability.

Winters in IL can be long, though not nearly as bad as our northern states, the way you hear people whine about them. I like the change of seasons, and the winters kill the huge bugs and there are no poisonous snakes or scorpions to worry about here.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,714 times
How about Honolulu? Or key west? Aspen? Lake Tahoe? Ft. Lauderdale? SAn Diego?
Jackson hole, wy?, The Virgin islands?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Are you not happy with where you are now?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
If you like parks and outdoor recreation, you should consider Louisville, KY
- currently building a 110 mile bike/ jogging loop around the city (30 miles already complete)
Louisville Loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- one of the best city park systems in the US. 3 large parks were designed by same person as NYC's Central Park. These 3 are connected by tree lined roads called parkways
- home to the world's largest exposed fossil bed at the Falls of the Ohio State Park
- just 80 miles from Mammoth Cave National Park
- home to the largest municipal forest in the US with over 6,000 acres (Jefferson Memorial Forest) , features over 30 miles of hikinh trails
Jefferson Memorial Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/LouLoop.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/Jcf-tuliptree_trail_6-2.JPG/796px-Jcf-tuliptree_trail_6-2.JPG (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Louemaindev.jpg/800px-Louemaindev.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris213 View Post
Today 09:49 AM
jharris213

A great place to raise my family????? My husband interviewed for a job where you can live just about anywhere in the USA. We have the opportunity to live anywhere. We have 2 kids - 4 and 6 years old. We like to bike and walk and play!!! Prefer nice weather, but will endure some winter for a great place. Excellent Schools are a must and a small to medium city near by for stuff to do. Traffic and commutes dont pose a problem for us. We are looking in the 300-400k price range for a home...I am hoping people can help us find a great place to live with all of the above!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
jharris213
See- any sunbelt suburb. Actually your price range is a little too low for Orange County (sunbelt) or else I would have suggested that. Otherwise, you have it good! Do you have any states that you prefer? Do you want a newer envrionment with piece of mind, or an older more charming community? Do you like the Beach? Mountains? Lakes? Do you want a diverse community? Do you like the four seasons, the desert, or a more tropical envrionment? Do you want to be within the sphere of influence of a large city, or in a more rural area? With such broad criteria it's hard for me to answer your question without more specifics. I can think of places in Texas, Arizona, Georgia, Florida, Georgia, Virginia and Tennessee off the top of my head.

So far the Austin area has my vote.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-04-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM

1,177 posts, read 459,230 times
my vote is for San Diego, CA

now if I could only afford it.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
been done...lower manhattan 3000 sq ft loft

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Tennessee or Wisconsin. Wisconsin has 2nd best ACT scores and really good schools. We also have four distinct seasons. Our summers rock because we get only a few real hot days and some really nice days of low 80's and high 70's. Wisconsin is expensive to live in, but it's all worth it. We have very many terrains just like Tennessee which I also recommend! Tennessee is a bit warmer in the summer and winters. etc.

I also recommend Louisville, KY as Censusdata said. Northern KY is beautiful.

All in all, Check out Southcentral Wisconsin, Eastern Tennessee, Northern KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.