Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Degree of polarity between states and it's capital
Alaska-Juneau 0 0%
Hawaii-Honolulu 0 0%
Washington- Olympia 1 1.49%
Oregon - Salem 0 0%
California- Sacramento 1 1.49%
Nevada - Carson City 0 0%
Idaho - Boise 1 1.49%
Montana- Helena 0 0%
Wyoming - Cheyenne 0 0%
Utah - SLC 0 0%
Arizona - Phoenix 0 0%
New Mexico - Santa Fe 0 0%
Colorado - Denver 2 2.99%
North Dakota - Bismarck 0 0%
South Dakota - Pierre 1 1.49%
Nebraska - Lincoln 0 0%
Kansas - Topeka 0 0%
Oklahoma - OKC 0 0%
Texas - Austin 14 20.90%
Louisiana - Baton Rouge 0 0%
Arkansas - Little Rock 0 0%
Missouri - St. Louis/ JUST KIDDING Jefferson City (seeing if you're still reading) 0 0%
Iowa -Des Moines 0 0%
Minnesota - St. Paul 2 2.99%
Wisconsin - Madison 1 1.49%
Illinois - Springfield 1 1.49%
Kentucky- Frankfurt 0 0%
Tennessee - Nashville 3 4.48%
Mississippi - Jackson 3 4.48%
Alabama - Montgomery 1 1.49%
Indiana - Indianapolis 0 0%
Michigan - Lansing 0 0%
Ohio - Columbus 1 1.49%
Maine - Augusta 0 0%
New Hampshire - Concord 0 0%
Vermont - Montpelier 1 1.49%
Connecticut -Hartford 1 1.49%
Rhode Island (almost forgot you) - Providence 0 0%
New York - Albany 8 11.94%
Pennsylvania - Harrisburg 0 0%
New Jersey - Trenton 1 1.49%
Delaware - Dover 1 1.49%
Maryland - Annapolis 1 1.49%
United States - DC 9 13.43%
West Virginia - Charleston 0 0%
Virginia - Richmond 0 0%
North Carolina - Raleigh 0 0%
South Carolina - Columbia 0 0%
Georgia - Atlanta 11 16.42%
Florida - Tallahassee 0 0%
Massachusetts -Boston (yes, I did forget) 1 1.49%
Puerto Rico - San Juan 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

93,587 posts, read 124,293,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
What are you smoking? You couldn't be more wrong. It has been a rite of passage forever to mock the pols and inefficiency and shenanigans going on and coming out of Albany.

Not only is it not taboo but it's a sport for the NY media and the like to go full force at the nonsense in Albany. Do you really think there's not critical examination going on in the most media covered state in the country and one of the most media covered places in the world? Quite the contrary.
Exactly, as there are literally so many politically based outlets about state government from all types of angles that it isn't even funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

6,132 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I'm going to say Maryland because there was an effort a few years ago (I don't know where it is now) from Western Maryland to secede from the state and join West Virginia.

That's a pretty good sign that one part of the state isn't happy with the rest of the state, and in many ways, Western and Eastern Maryland are two different worlds despite them not being that terribly far apart geographically.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

8,529 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
What are you smoking? You couldn't be more wrong. It has been a rite of passage forever to mock the pols and inefficiency and shenanigans going on and coming out of Albany.

Not only is it not taboo but it's a sport for the NY media and the like to go full force at the nonsense in Albany. Do you really think there's not critical examination going on in the most media covered state in the country and one of the most media covered places in the world? Quite the contrary.
Maybe it’s a difference of experience. Having been in “move fast and break things†California, and then Texas which is arguably the most cantankerous state in the country, it looks and feels rather antisocial to behave similarly up here. It feels a bit old, rigid, and oriented towards order here compared to my life experience. I feel there’s actually more deference to the state Capitol than I’ve experienced anywhere else. California was kinda similar but kinda not.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,058,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Where did that come from? Nobody in Cleveland doesn't have resentment towards the city of Columbus; we have resentment towards the Governor and the state house reps who just happen to be in Columbus not the city itself. I don't think Cincinnati has resent towards Columbus either.
Ehh people in Cleveland certainly see Columbus as beneath them. While Cleveland is a “real major city†Columbus is an overgrown cowtown without the offerings of a “real cityâ€.

I’m not as familiar with Cincinnati but Cleveland does 100% have beef with the idea they are no longer Ohios primate city by far and away like it was in 1974 or whatever

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

37,900 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm going to say Maryland because there was an effort a few years ago (I don't know where it is now) from Western Maryland to secede from the state and join West Virginia.

That's a pretty good sign that one part of the state isn't happy with the rest of the state, and in many ways, Western and Eastern Maryland are two different worlds despite them not being that terribly far apart geographically.
But how does that translate into hostility towards Annapolis?

I'm going with Georgia.

Last edited by Mutiny77; Yesterday at 04:13 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

533 posts, read 260,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Texans who hate what the state government is doing tend to live in Dallas or Houston, and they know better to blame Austin as they know the poor Austinites are in the same boat. Is it really possible to feel much animosity toward the kids whose lunch money you stole?
I think the amount of attention austin has gotten over 30 years has worn on a lot of Texans, especially Houstonians and Dallasites. This is the part where you point to Houston's gdp being 8x Austin's.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

2,864 posts, read 2,181,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
I think the amount of attention austin has gotten over 30 years has worn on a lot of Texans, especially Houstonians and Dallasites. This is the part where you point to Houston's gdp being 8x Austin's.
I'm not sure why you're trying to deflect perfectly legitimate criticisms you've gotten in this thread. Does Austin have to win every poll? It's been pointed out by multiple posters here that Austin's nomination falls apart as soon as you realize that the people who pick on Austin also happen to be the ones who like the state government.

If you would start another poll for 'capital city most oppressed by their state government' then I'd vote for Austin there.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

533 posts, read 260,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm not sure why you're trying to deflect perfectly legitimate criticisms you've gotten in this thread. Does Austin have to win every poll? It's been pointed out by multiple posters here that Austin's nomination falls apart as soon as you realize that the people who pick on Austin also happen to be the ones who like the state government.

If you would start another poll for 'capital city most oppressed by their state government' then I'd vote for Austin there.
Just didn't understand the lunch money comment? And I'm not sure this is a poll you would want to win, though, if you look up, guess who's winning?

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

21,975 posts, read 13,019,895 times
"Its."

And "Frankfort."

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

543 posts, read 1,110,284 times
It's DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.