Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times

Advertisements

In Rio Rancho, which is our largest suburb, there is a Picabo St., named after the Olympian.

Albuquerque has a street named in that same vein - Sesame St., named after the children's show.

And we also have a Knott's Landing, named after the soap opera.

We also have a Supreme Ct. in a neighborhood called Heritage Hills, which is filled with patriotic and national-themed street names. This neighborhood also has a Short St., which as its name implies is only one block long.

When I was growing up there was a street in my neighborhood that I always thought was funny. It was Commercial St. I thought it was named after television commercials, not commerce or businesses.

Another one I always got a kick out of since I grew up knowing Spanish was a street called Poco Loco Rd. This street has many sharp, right-angle curves along its length. Poco Loco translates in English to "a little crazy" It's a residential street.

We had another, but major street like that when I was growing up. One of the curves on that street was popularly known as "Dead Man's Curve" because of all the accidents there over the years. Thankfully, the curves were flattened out in a major rebuild of the street in the last decade.

Albuquerque of course has lots of Spanish (and Spanglish) street names. Some make absolutely no sense when translated into English, but sound exotic and interesting nonetheless.

One of these is Verdad de Luz Ct. Translated to English literally it is Truth of Light or possibly the Light's Truth. Perhaps it has some sincere meaning in English that I'm not aware of but I've yet to come up with it or hear of an explanation as to its meaning. Light of Truth has religious connotations, but then that would mean the street should be called Luz de Verdad instead. I think perhaps the person who named it had the religious Light of Truth in mind, but mistakenly thought everything in English needs to be reversed when translated to Spanish to be correct.

A funny Spanglish street name is found in Yippee Calle Ct. (yippy ki-yay - get it?) Calle means street in Spanish and so the court part is completely unnecessary since Spanish street designations (Avenida, Calle, Camino, Paseo, etc.) are considered official and legal in Albuquerque.

We have another example of redundant and unnecessary Spanish and English street designations on one of our city's busiest corridors. Paseo del Norte is officially signed at many intersections as Paseo del Norte Blvd.

Albuquerque also has Juan Tabo Blvd. as a major street, but nobody quite knows who he was. There are some who say he was a mythical character, others a real person.

One more street name that I get a kick out of in Albuquerque is Singing Arrow Rd. I loved saying it while growing up. For a while I thought perhaps it was actually pronounced Singe-ing Arrow, like a flaming arrow, but no, it's Singing Arrow like an arrow making a noise as it shoots through the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In the West 7th District.

Pronounce this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Foash
That reminds me of a street name in Detroit that I always get a kick out of, Gratiot Avenue. I remember the first time I found out how it's actually pronounced when I seen a title for something (an article, book, album, song - I can't remember) called Gratiot Happens.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Living on Ebola Avenue

Old 04-30-2022, 10:38 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
There's a "Chocolog Road" in my county

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0318...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-30-2022, 10:59 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Republican St in Seattle

Old 05-01-2022, 07:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
New Orleans is the winneer. One neighborhood has streets named for the Greek Muses -- Terpsichore, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Clio, Euterpe, Urania, Erato, Melpomene, I think there's one I forgot.

Another area with Industry, Agriculture, Music, Arts, and the important one, Duels.

Streetcar named Desire, for the street it ran on. Magazine St. named before it had its current meaning.,

Galveston TX has
P St.
P-1/2 St
Q St
Q-1/2 St
R St
etc.

In Montreal, I lived on Pie IX -- said "pee-neff", French for Pope Pius the Ninth.

I once lived at an address that was nine consecutive equally-stressed syllables: 605-D NE Windrose Ct.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:45 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
I'll meet you on the corner of Cumming St and Seaman Ave, right down the block from Dyckman St. These are all street names in one neighborhood in Manhattan.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:54 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
SF Bay Area (street names influenced by the technology industry and Silicon Valley)::

Infinite Loop - Cupertino (Apple’s HQ)
Hacker Way - Menlo Park (Meta, Facebook HQ)
Cisco Way - North San Jose (Cisco’s HQ)
Component Drive - North San Jose
Innovation Drive - Fremont
Disk Drive - North San Jose
Gateway Blvd - Newark
Java Drive - Sunnyvale
Woz Way - San Jose
Semiconductor Drive - Santa Clara

Old 05-01-2022, 05:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Rod & Gun Club Road

Old 05-01-2022, 10:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Husband St.
Knoblock St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.