Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We long-timers can recall quite fondly former member "Need_Affordable_Home" (or NAH) who was on an incessant quest to relocate cross-country to Oil City, PA simply because it had very inexpensive housing. Oil City became more of a household name on this forum than Scranton, Omaha, Louisville, or other oft-hyped communities on this forum have now become. I remember one member from Ohio even visited Oil City to do a photo tour, which garnered thousands of hits from the curious, including myself.

Anyhow, has anyone on here ever decided to take a trek somewhere based upon what you've seen on this forum? I myself am planning to visit Duluth, MN someday because everything I've read on here makes me think it is a "trendier Scranton on the lakefront." It is also thanks to this forum that I've developed a fondness for Evanston, IL due to some great photographers. Ditto Syracuse and Greenville, SC.

Is anyone else hoping to visit somewhere based upon what they've learned here? If anyone says "Scranton" let it be known that I am committed to hosting our first ever get-together at a park here next Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Nope. But Oil City may not be such a bad place to consider for relocation purposes. Recently a Canadian company obtained land rights to start drilling for oil in the area. Apparently they've found a new and very large reserve right in the immediate area that is ripe for the taking. As a result the area is bound to see some economic and population growth in the years ahead.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
ScranBarre, thanks to you I'll definitely make the detour to Scranton next time I visit my relatives in West Chester.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
This forum has kinda made me want to visit Pittsburgh, but I dont know if I would actually go.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
ScranBarre, thanks to you I'll definitely make the detour to Scranton next time I visit my relatives in West Chester.
I agree. I've driven through that part of Pennsylvania quite a bit but have never ventured off the interstate to see what Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are like. I might just do that next time.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I've been a member on CD now for about five months and have spent many, many hours reading posts from different regions etc. I think CD has created a connection for me that would be imppossible to surpass. The large amounts of information available on this site make it first class. I thank CD and my fellow forum members so much for all the wealths of information given here.

I've been itching to visit the Appalachian states again since I haven't been to W. Virginia in 10 yrs. CD and its W.V. members have helped me get a little closer to visiting for a day or two. Ultimately I would like to drive to Tennessee and go up along the Appalachians all the way up to New Hampshire to the Presidents Range.

I like the ideas of photo stickys on state threads. I myself call south central Wisconsin home and I do as much as possible to get pictures up. Many people do enjoy them. So, when you post pictures on your state thread and no one responds. That means they are awwed by the beauty of your pictures they are left speechless.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I myself am planning to visit Duluth, MN someday because everything I've read on here makes me think it is a "trendier Scranton on the lakefront."
If you are basing your trip to Duluth based solely on what you read on CD, then you are probably going to in for a rude awakening. It is not a bad place, and it is definitely worth a visit, but I can say first hand that the way that some posters describe the place is, in the least, a bit euphemistic.

And if Duluth really is a trendier version of Scranton, then Scranton must be a hobo camp built on top of a garbage dump. I mean that in the literal sense because Duluth is not all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is anyone else hoping to visit somewhere based upon what they've learned here? If anyone says "Scranton" let it be known that I am committed to hosting our first ever get-together at a park here next Spring.
No. I am a book/information nerd so I was very well aware of all of the places that I want(ed) to visit long before I even knew CD existed. As it is, there seems to be an excessive amount of trash talking and over exaggerated opinions thrown about this city or that.

However, I will say this: because of CD, the only Scranton that I ever want to see is what is shown on the Office, and I hope beyond hope that I never have the pleasure of stepping foot in Omaha ever again. I do not mean to offend any of the residents of those two cities, but if I never hear of those two places again it will be too soon.

Hmmmm.....now that I think about it, because of a certain poster in the KCMO forum, my distaste for KC has diminished tremendously.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Not yet, but CD has piqued my interests in Houston and Portland.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Well I posted a thread in the Pennsylvania forum looking for a good place to go camping. I got some good suggestions and upon further research I decided to go to one of the places that was recommended.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM

244 posts, read 814,769 times
After reading about Denver on the CD forum, a city I had never considered visiting before, I finally went out there myself to see what all the hype was about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.