Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you enjoy living in Hawaii?
Probably 57 45.60%
I don't think so 68 54.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 AM

164 posts, read 984,714 times

Advertisements

I lived on oahu for 7+ years and wish I had never left. Its an acquired lifestyle. You must enjoy outside activities, going to the beach, surfing, and family activities. OHANA (family) is a dominate attribute with groups of friends, family, etc. Outside of your occasional "roadtrip" most people in the conus rarely venture more than 30 miles from home anyway. Island hoping with local rates/fares is very reasonable and its nothing to jump from oahu to the big island for a day. Its not for everyone as my ex would tell you. She left, I stayed behind. Work brought me back to the mainland and I wish I had never left my paradise. ALoha Oi seestas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
No way! I like going for a couple of weeks vacation, but could no way live there! It's too small! We like to take road trips and see other things when my husband has the day off.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
The more I think about it...I could probably do it. I'm not an extremely picky person. I can be happy anywhere.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM

13 posts, read 36,458 times
I don't think I could ever live there. I think there is a big difference between going somewhere for vacation and actually living there. I went to Cancun on vacation in March and everyday, I was like, "This place is amazing!" But I was only there for 6 days. If I live there for years, I don't think I would think it was as amazing as I did when I was on vacation. Same for Montana and Wyoming, I love going there on vacation but I can't see myself living there. I would definitely visit Hawaii but for living there no thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
I would love to live in HI for maybe 1-2 years, as long as I knew I could transfer back. It is an amazing place. However, I wouldn't want to raise children that far from my extended family (especially considering rising airline ticket prices). I think a lot of the people here aren't giving the diversity of HI enough credit. The islands are small, but the variety of landscapes in such as small geographic area is astounding. Gorgeous beaches, rainforest, lush hills, desert like areas, deep canyons, waterfalls, 13,000+ ft mountains... The land is so rugged and beautiful in many different ways. These varieties of landscape and climate can be found within a very short drive around just one island.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 PM

175 posts, read 464,782 times
I lived in Honolulu for two years and I was bored after the first. Got tired of the beach scene, the tourists and the weather. Sunny in the am, showers in the pm. Not much else to do there. If I had family there that would be a different story. But I wouldn't recommend moving there if you are on your own.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I could live there as long as I have one of those NICE big houses with a pool and an Ohana (apartment for family visits). Absolutely.

I have wanted to live on an island for a long time.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,870 times
I've lived in Hawaii for the last 20 years. I am a military brat and have lived in many different types of locations. Cities, rural, suburb. I was only going to stay for 6 months. If I hated it I was going back to the west coast. I'm still here and can't imagine living anywhere else.

BTW... the island grows the longer you live here. I almost never go the the other side of the island. I never really ventured far from home on the mainland. Maybe 40-100 miles at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I could live there as long as I have one of those NICE big houses with a pool and an Ohana (apartment for family visits). Absolutely.

I have wanted to live on an island for a long time.
You've got to be RICH to get a NICE Big house with an Ohana home here. A 2 bedroom apartment or townhome under 1000 sq ft will run you from $350,000-$500,000. Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I would love to live in Hawaii again, and look forward to doing so sometime in the future. I don't get island fever because to me there is just so much to do in Hawaii. That said, I am not sure about living on the other islands besides Oahu, that may get old, but I would visit those for sure.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I wouldn't want to live on Oahu, but Maui or Kauai, definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.