Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 PM

175 posts, read 464,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame is here in Knoxville, Tennessee. The University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers have won more national championships than any other college program. Over 20,000 fans routinely attend Lady Vols basketball games. Women's basketball is HUGE here, and it extends to the high school level.

The cost of living in Knoxville is very reasonable, the public schools here are good, and Tennessee has very low state and local taxes.

http://www.knoxvillemarathon.com/Upload/images/knoxville-mntns.jpg (broken link)

http://www.atlcc.net/images/knoxville.jpg (broken link)
That's the team that my daughter talks about all the time. When we attented the Phoenix Mercury opener she nearly fell out of her seat when she saw Candice Parker on the court for the first time. It was such a thrill for her especially after scoring 33(?) points in her first game. Tennessee is definately on my list but I wasn't sure whether the madness extended to the high school level. Appreciate your info. Thanks.

Last edited by crunchtime; 07-09-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Check out some Chicago/ suburban schools.
Naperville Central- Candace Parker attended this school
Oak Park River Forest-
Whitney Young-
Riverside Brookfield-
Fenwick-

I mean the list could go on, girls basketball is HUGE in this area.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I am suprised that Kentucky isn't on the lists anywhere! Then again, girls' sports of any kind aren't huge here.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
My old HS, Westhill High just outside of Syracuse, is a good program here and the Syracuse University women's team is a program on the rise too. NY is a big Basketball state and coverage for HS sports in general is big here in the Syracuse area. Some other good programs in the area are:South Jefferson in Adams, Syracuse's Corcoran High, Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse, Bishop Grimes, Bishop Ludden, Christian Brothers Academy(last 3 all Catholic HS's in Syracuse) and Indian River in Philadelphia, among others in Central NY state(called Section 3 for sports). Other top programs in the state are:Rush-Henrietta, North Babylon, Hammond, Binghamton Seton Catholic, Corning West, Jamestown, Mount Vernon, Poughkeepsie Lourdes, St. John's the Baptist on Long Island and many others. Here is some more info. on girls hoops in the state........ CNY HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS Girls Basketball - Syracuse.com

High School Basketball - Girls Basketball - Times Union - Albany NY

High School Girls Basketball (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/highschool/girls_basketball/blog/ - broken link)

NYS FEDERATION BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS: Girls Scores

NYSPHSAA: Girls Scores

Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Here's more NY information:

NYSSWA reference section: Miss Basketball awards

NYSSWA reference section: Gatorade awards

NYSSWA reference section: Girls basketball, career scoring leaders

NYSSWA: Reference library (go down to where it says Girls Basketball for that info.)

NYSPHSAA - Championship Results/Brackets (again go to girls basketball for info.)

Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
I've seen these rankings before. My guess is a majority of these schools listed are private and can recruit players from anywhere. I know the team from San Francisco has been playing together since they were kids and makes for an interesting story as I read about them before.
Union High School in Tulsa was one on the list, and it is a public school. They also have a nationally recognized football program, so I'm guessing they also have great athletic facilities. It's in Big 12 country, which is pretty strong in womens basketball. Tulsa would have a lower cost of living and it is close to the Springfield/Branson area you mentioned in your original post.

I would second the Tennessee suggestion also.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
If basketball is the question, Kentucky MUST be the answer!!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Not to be a downer but isn't it not allowed to change high schools because of sports?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Check out some Chicago/ suburban schools.
Naperville Central- Candace Parker attended this school
Oak Park River Forest-
Whitney Young-
Riverside Brookfield-
Fenwick-

I mean the list could go on, girls basketball is HUGE in this area.
So is the cost of living and high taxes as I understand it. Love the museums there though. Thanks for your post.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Not to be a downer but isn't it not allowed to change high schools because of sports?
Not sure I understand your post. Are you referring to a certain school district where one cannot transfer to another school in the district because of sports? That may be true in Illinois but it wouldn't apply in my situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.