Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should names and locations of sex offenders be made public?
Yes. They are special menaces to society 20 51.28%
Yes, but only the ones that abuse young children or are convicted of violent rape. 13 33.33%
No, if they have served their time, they have served their debt to society. 4 10.26%
No, not unless murderers and other violent criminals are treated the same way. 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM

37 posts, read 108,038 times

Advertisements

Should names and locations of sex offenders be made public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I say yes. The stats show sex offenders are very often likely to be repeat offenders and just because you serve jail time doesn't mean you should stop paying the price for your crime.

Certain crimes can restrict your other rights - such as areas where felons cannot own a gun.

If you commit a sex offense then this is part of your punishment. The one thing I would like to see get looked at is in cases of consensual, but statuatory, sex. I don't think those should be considered a sexual offense in the traditional way and one that would be reported.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I'm more interested in burglars and car thieves.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Im so in the middle on this one.

If you serve the time then you paid your debt. If your name is flaunted after that then your rights are being violated. While you lose your rights in jail they are reinstated when you are set free. And you do have a right to live a free and peaceful existance.

But on the other hand it is a fact that so many are repeat offenders and if you have kids you want to know what lives next to you.

This is a tough one.........

Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 49,452 times
I'd like to know where the sex fiends are... I'd also want to know where the car thieves and murderers are too.... Just in case.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i 100% disagree that your rights are reinstated just because you do jail time - in many instances this is not the case and that is part of the punishment

I think of it as more of a fine that you need to pay for the rest of your life because you messed up in a really bad way - a fine you knew you would have to pay if caught, but you chose to do the act anyway

Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0har64 View Post
I'd like to know where the sex fiends are...

Me too but just the female ones.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM

16 posts, read 49,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Me too but just the female ones.
Lol!! I didn't mean it that way! I'm so embarrassed! Ahh!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Instead of publishing a list of sex offenders and where they live I would like to see mandatory GPS monitoring devices to be worn for a lifetime. The newest GPS devices are tamper proof, unobtrusive, economical and accurate. Proper monitoring by authorities is better than John Q Public knowing where these people live.

My problem with publishing the names and addresses of RSO's is that there are a lot of Psycho citizens that think they can harass the RSO's even though they may be trying to turn their life around and stay on the straight and narrow.

GL2

Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
I believe sex offender restrictions after jail have caused more problems than they have solved.

- Requiring sex offenders to live _____ feet from a school/park/bus stop or wherever does little to prevent repaet offenses. Especially since many jurisdictions are making it difficult for ex-offenders to return to productive lives by limiting where they can live.

- Making public the adresses of sex offenders makes me uncomfortable for several reasosn. As Irish Tom said, I'd rather know that a car thief or burglar is in my neighborhood. There are many types of sexual offenders and some people don't know (or care) about the difference. The idea that a neighbor can get violent with a sex offender in the neighborhood whithout any reason (other than being on a list) is just wrong. MOST sexual offenses are committed by someone (friend, relative, etc. ) the victim already knows. VERY few crimes are commited by strangers, despite all the media hysteria...
Sexual crimes are, understandably, a very emotional issue for may. But we are a nation of laws and that should trump emotion every time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.