Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 54,341 times

Advertisements

I'm just tired of being in the midwest and want a fresh start. I've been giving serious thought to the Tennessee or Kentucky. I'm on medical retirement from my company so a job isn't an issue, kids are all grown and moved out so it's just me and the cat. I feel like at this point in my life I'd like to move to unknown land, no strings attached if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on people, places or things, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
I really don't know alot about either state - but I have vacationed in TN, and it seems like a great place to live. I really liked Franklin (outside of Nashville).

My other thoughts are this - you only live once, so you have to take chances and try new opportunities. I lived in Northern Virginia for my whole life, yet I love to travel so I have explored much of the US. In my late 30's I needed a change - desperately wanted one. However, I was settled into family life - you know, kids, parents, job etc. It is hard to move by choice when you are in the midst of that. My mom got sick, struggled for 6 years with failing health. Parents lived with us and in the middle of that I divorced and basically helped support my parents and 2 kids. When my mom passed away 5 years ago my oldest was about to graduate HS. All of a sudden that door opened and I was out on a new adventure. I do not regret it one bit .

I moved to SE Virginia (where family was and it felt like a 2nd home anyway). So I have been here 5 years. I love it here, but I know this isnt where I am settling. Still looking for 'THE' place which is warm and has palm trees. Sorry to ramble about my life story.....

Anyway - take the chance!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
I agree!

If you're foot-loose and fancy free and itching for a change, go for it. Sounds exciting!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,089,409 times
If you are officially retired you should consider Pennsylvania. It rates as one of the best states for retirees.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise012864 View Post
I'm just tired of being in the midwest and want a fresh start. I've been giving serious thought to the Tennessee or Kentucky. I'm on medical retirement from my company so a job isn't an issue, kids are all grown and moved out so it's just me and the cat. I feel like at this point in my life I'd like to move to unknown land, no strings attached if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on people, places or things, etc?
Tennessee and Kentucky are both beautiful states. Check out this thread from a few days ago:

Kentucky or Tennessee? Why?

Something to think about: Tennessee's taxes are much lower than Kentucky's. In fact, there are only 2-3 states that have lower taxes than Tennessee. While we do have a rather high sales tax (over 9%, slightly lower on food) we have no state income tax, and our property taxes are very low. Being home to the TVA means our utility rates are pretty low, too (and so are Kentucky's because of all those coal plants they have).

What kind of place do you want to move to? Big city? Suburb? Small town? College town? Mountains? Farms?

Census figures show that Tennessee and North Carolina are wildly popular retirement areas (not so much Kentucky). We have what are called "Half Backs"--people from up north who initially retired to Florida, hated it, and are now moving half-way back because of our low taxes, beautiful scenery, low cost of living, and four very distinct seasons without much snow.

The state has started a program where 9 popular retirement areas in Tennessee are spotlighted. Of those 9, my favorite is Cookeville. But here's the state's web site for prospective retirees:

http://www.retiretennessee.org/

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I wish I could just pack up and leave. Denise, I would take the opportunity to do this. East Tennessee is beautiful. kentucky is just as beautiful.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,079 times
No-strings-attached is a beautiful thing in more ways than one. A change of scenery sounds like it might be perfect for you at this stage of your life. What types of activities do you like to do or would like to have the opportunity to do in your new town?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I think it would help to know what type of hobbies you have, stuff you like to do in your spare time, price ranges for homes, etc. Other than knowing someone is wanting a change from the Midwest and is on medical retirement, there isn't a lot to go on to make a recommendation.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
HMMMM this is the same person with the dating a married man for six months thread? I'm sensing a person just throwing out a controversal thread to get the hornets going..lol

Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
HMMMM this is the same person with the dating a married man for six months thread? I'm sensing a person just throwing out a controversal thread to get the hornets going..lol
Well, I doubt this forum has the ability to allow duplicate user names so, yes, I'd say it is the same person. And, what, does a person have to create 'x' number of posts to establish themselves as a valid poster?

To the OP: I've lived in the neighboring state of NC for 20 years now and have spent time in TN while also traveling thru KY. I give a strong recommendation for TN. You have a number of good choices for a new home, since a job isn't a priority, and can choose between metro areas like Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga, or any of dozens of smaller, slower-paced areas in the state.

One word of advice, though, relating back to the other thread: just don't move there and get yourself in the same fix optiflex is referring to. The women down here - especially the native females of TN - will not take kindly to that kind of situation. You do not mess with angry Tennessee women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.