Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the capitol of the New South?and why?
Richmond 6 5.26%
New Orleans 2 1.75%
Birmingham 2 1.75%
Atlanta 71 62.28%
Dallas 8 7.02%
Houston 13 11.40%
Miami 3 2.63%
Nashville 2 1.75%
Charlotte 3 2.63%
Tampa 1 0.88%
Memphis 3 2.63%
Louisville 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 AM

334 posts, read 1,268,724 times

Advertisements

Well Texas and South Florida aren't really southern, so i'm gonna go with A town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Why does the south need a capital? Are they looking to try to secede again?
Haha! I thought of the same question.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAlexander View Post
And imho you win the BBQ battle. There is no doubt that Texas is southern. Now, as for Atlanta, yes indeed if there was ever a black republic Atlanta would be it's logos. Let's see if the mods let that one go.. :-)

Question for you Texans, does your state hate Dallas or Houston? I ask because Georgians on the whole, hate Atlanta. Hell, no one really lives in the town much anyway.
Hmmmm...that is a good question, and of course would depend on which Texan you ask. I don't know all that much about Houston, but live within an couple hours drive of Dallas (or Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex as it is). Personally, I don't much care for it. The size and traffic, mainly! LOL And I think over the years, the heavy migration from northern states has had the effect of considerably diluting its once strong Texas/Southern character. Kinda like has happened in Atlanta, from what I understand from Georgia friends.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Not sure how to answer, I didn't vote because I know there really isn't a right or wrong answer to this. Since I'm not on the outside looking in ( i.e. yankee) I can give you only my perspective. Living in Northwest Louisiana (Shreveport-Bossier), we have always had a strong connection with Dallas and Houston. Together they would be our capitols. We acknowledge Atlanta as the capitol of the South as well; however, the states and major cities surrounding Atlanta have stronger ties than we do. Just history and settlement patterns. There is a division of the south at the Mississippi river and those of us west of the river are not as well connected to the proper southeastern US. Only until recently for example have we even had a common rail company.

Culturally the south is strong; southerners are very proud and strong people and this transcends whatever differences we may have. The southern states along the eastern seaboard are rich in southern culture and early American culture. They are a joy to visit and explore. New Orleans has a very strong history as well as Baton Rouge and the plantation country. But up here where I live it is not so well known and has no real renown history or culture like to the east. Shreveport was an outpost in the civil war and some times still has that feel today. Minor battles were fought here, but nothing significant. We are very closely tied to Texas and probably always will be.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
there really is no capital of the south...but the big contenders would be atlanta, houston, dallas and miami...oh yeah and new orleans
although i certainly can see why the above poster would select any of the great cities above, i have to select atlanta overall. my reasoning is simple, atlanta is centrally located to the southern region. atlanta has a blend of all southern culture, e.g. food, racial mixes, dialects, religions, etc., etc. it is certainly a melting pot. it is diverse and is identified throughout the world by simply mentioning its name. with the exception of geo-political thought (IMO) atlanta has stationed itself as both a major influence in the region and in the united states. banking, insurance, corporate influence/thinking, religion, medicine, architecture. it truly has to be the reinvented south. it has come a far piece since sherman's march...by the way, we all know sherman cheated.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree except your last part. New Orleans is not on the level with those four. The other four have much larger, powerful, and diverse economies. The populations of the areas is much greater than New Orleans area. New Orleans is great for tourism. But it doesn't hold it's own in other categories in more than a couple industries.

But again, I echo other sentiments. There IS no capital of the south. NONE, whatsoever.
spade, don't tell nashville...they will be destroyed! their mentality is somewhat like the new kid in the locker room...mine's bigger!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:16 AM

208 posts, read 1,217,986 times
1) Montgomery Alabama.
2) Richmond Virginia.
3) Danville Virginia.

Since they were the capitals of the Confederate Army it only makes sense.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
There isn't one, but Houston and Atlanta would tie if it was.
Why are people so quick to say Houston isn't the south? If that is the case then nothing on the Gulf of Mexico from Houston to somewhere between Mobile and Pascagoula isn't the south either.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Miami is too far south, while Houston and Dallas are too far west. Besides being huge and more popular with move-ins, Atlanta is also centrally located within the South. So it's got to be Atlanta.
I agree with this because Atlanta is unequivocally Southern, no ifs, ands, or buts about like with the others.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
well Atlanta has absolutely no influence in Florida whatsoever so it stops at the state border & most Floridians don't considers themselves "southern" to begin with save for the Panhandle or what we call Lower Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.