Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

New Orleans, the Big Easy, Crescent City, is well known as a city of vice and iniquity, historically associated with decadent hedonism, prostitution, crime, and although most of the bordellos have closed it still has a reputation as a bit of a sin city and is definitely probably the number one spot in the south to party the night away (if one doesn't include Miami). Plus there's the strong occult/voodoo presence/history in the city. It seems like a place that a lot of conservatives, especially of the Southern Baptist kind, would disdain...I'm sure some do like it for other reasons, but overall, does it seem that most conservative Southerners dislike or tend to avoid the place?

I personally love it, largely for it's unique culture and architecture, so I wonder what the generation impression is of New Orleans. That other 'new' city, New York City, I think was called a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah by a famous evangelist (was it Billy Graham?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
New Orleans, the Big Easy, Crescent City, is well known as a city of vice and iniquity, historically associated with decadent hedonism, prostitution, crime, and although most of the bordellos have closed it still has a reputation as a bit of a sin city and is definitely probably the number one spot in the south to party the night away (if one doesn't include Miami). Plus there's the strong occult/voodoo presence/history in the city. It seems like a place that a lot of conservatives, especially of the Southern Baptist kind, would disdain...I'm sure some do like it for other reasons, but overall, does it seem that most conservative Southerners dislike or tend to avoid the place?

I personally love it, largely for it's unique culture and architecture, so I wonder what the generation impression is of New Orleans. That other 'new' city, New York City, I think was called a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah by a famous evangelist (was it Billy Graham?).
Pass. I've never been there but I don't like the food or the heat and don't drink so I have no desire to go. Photographing the architecture and the shore birds is something I would like. I'd worry about my safety traveling there alone.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Most people I know LOVE New Orleans if they've visited there, regardless of their political persuasion.

I was born there, and I love it dearly. Even though it's now a seven hour drive, I make it a point to visit as often as possible!

Except for in July through September - it's just too hot.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Pass. I've never been there but I don't like the food or the heat and don't drink so I have no desire to go. Photographing the architecture and the shore birds is something I would like. I'd worry about my safety traveling there alone.
The food? There's more than Creole food. And you probably don't like Cajun food, which isn't widely available anyway. You don't have to drink. Safety is as simple as searching through the New Orleans forum.

Most conservatives hate the city, they think people die on every street corner, people are drunk everywhere, and prostitutes rule the streets. Let them have the burbs.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
My DH and I go there at least once a year. There's far more to NO than how its been characterized on this thread. It has a rich history and culture and an energy that is unique among American cities.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I am a conservative and I have mixed feelings about it. It is a neat old historic city, and I love walking the streets of the old French quarter. However the things that happen at night there are not acceptable. I took my wife there and being it was August and not Mardi Gras I thought I was safe from the legendary immorality of that town. I was wrong, the things I saw on the streets I cannot even talk about on this site without being given an infraction. The drunkenness, debauchery and voodoo is not something I enjoyed seeing. Would this stop me from returning???? No it would not. I would not however go to the French quarter too long after dark, most of the nice things can be enjoyed earlier in the day and then I guess the debauched get the city after dark.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a conservative and I have mixed feelings about it. It is a neat old historic city, and I love walking the streets of the old French quarter. However the things that happen at night there are not acceptable. I took my wife there and being it was August and not Mardi Gras I thought I was safe from the legendary immorality of that town. I was wrong, the things I saw on the streets I cannot even talk about on this site without being given an infraction. The drunkenness, debauchery and voodoo is not something I enjoyed seeing. Would this stop me from returning???? No it would not. I would not however go to the French quarter too long after dark, most of the nice things can be enjoyed earlier in the day and then I guess the debauched get the city after dark.
Perhaps you were there during the city's 'other' festival, Southern Decadence (its going on right now, matter of fact). It's quite popular with the leather fetish crowd, so if you were I dont doubt you saw some shocking things.

www.southerndecadence.net

Generally I've found the crowds in the Quarter to be pretty tame.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You might have been during Decadence. I can't imagine what you saw that would make you think that, and for one, stay away from Bourbon if that's not your taste. The rest of the Quarter is calmer. Lol @ the voodoo. What about voodoo did you see?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I saw shops selling voodoo dolls, paraphanelia etc. I never imagined people took that stuff seriously, but clearly they do. As far as the rest of what I saw I wont go into detail but people were performing lude acts with each other on the balconies. Crowds beneath were encouraging it. Like I said before I actually enjoyed the city during the day, and I would return but not during the late night hours when those things become more prominent.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
The Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting was held in New Orleans last year, so they obviously have no problem with it. Believe it or not, there are plenty of "conservative Southerners" who live in New Orleans and Louisiana. It isn't Amsterdam for crying out loud. Bourbon Street does not define the entire city.

http://www.fbno.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.