Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most people I know LOVE New Orleans if they've visited there, regardless of their political persuasion.

I was born there, and I love it dearly. Even though it's now a seven hour drive, I make it a point to visit as often as possible!

Except for in July through September - it's just too hot.
and I know many who do not like it there, whether they live in the south, north west, are liberal or conservative. In fact, many people I know were disappointed in the city.

WE are relatively conservative and now are considered southerners, but we certainly like a good time, we do drink and we enjoy the food. Still we can't stand the place. It is way to over the top.

I think everyone should experience visiting New Orleans once, it is an experience, but after 3 times, we still haven't found what people see in the place. The people are rude, for the most part, the city isn't particularly clean, depending on when you visit you see drunks and people 1/2 dressed, if they are dressed at all, running around the place. It is crowded: I could go on and on, but for those who have not visited do, you need to see for yourself. What one person loves, another hates. There is one very positive thing about New Orleans, it is the history and the awesome old buildings, including a lot of B&BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I know many who do not like it there, whether they live in the south, north west, are liberal or conservative. In fact, many people I know were disappointed in the city.

WE are relatively conservative and now are considered southerners, but we certainly like a good time, we do drink and we enjoy the food. Still we can't stand the place. It is way to over the top.

I think everyone should experience visiting New Orleans once, it is an experience, but after 3 times, we still haven't found what people see in the place. The people are rude, for the most part, the city isn't particularly clean, depending on when you visit you see drunks and people 1/2 dressed, if they are dressed at all, running around the place. It is crowded: I could go on and on, but for those who have not visited do, you need to see for yourself. What one person loves, another hates. There is one very positive thing about New Orleans, it is the history and the awesome old buildings, including a lot of B&BS.
So I take it you won't be back?

Good - one less tourist to dodge around at the French Market!

I don't stay in the touristy areas of New Orleans. I head straight for Old Metairie, City Park, the museums outside the French Quarter, that sort of thing. I always VISIT the Quarter, but I don't want to hang out there for days. There's so much more to see in New Orleans and the surrounding areas.

When was the last time you were there, by the way?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Perhaps you should get out of the Quarter.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
New Orleans, the Big Easy, Crescent City, is well known as a city of vice and iniquity, historically associated with decadent hedonism, prostitution, crime, and although most of the bordellos have closed it still has a reputation as a bit of a sin city and is definitely probably the number one spot in the south to party the night away (if one doesn't include Miami). Plus there's the strong occult/voodoo presence/history in the city. It seems like a place that a lot of conservatives, especially of the Southern Baptist kind, would disdain...I'm sure some do like it for other reasons, but overall, does it seem that most conservative Southerners dislike or tend to avoid the place?

I personally love it, largely for it's unique culture and architecture, so I wonder what the generation impression is of New Orleans. That other 'new' city, New York City, I think was called a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah by a famous evangelist (was it Billy Graham?).
Most Southerners, both Conservative & Liberal love New Orleans for its food, culture, & history.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Conservatives and Southern Baptist are not necessarily the same thing. Most people in New Orleans are politically Conservative, they are just less hypocritical than the ones out in the rural backwaters, who keep their excesses and transgressions and sins of the heart better hidden from view.

During the Apartheid days of South Africa, they had their New Orleans. It was the tiny kingdom of Swaziland, where rigid and prudish South Africans could freely and anonymously enjoy alcohol and gambling and the embrace of black women.

For hypocrites, there will always be a New Orleans or a Swaziland.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Conservatives and Southern Baptist are not necessarily the same thing. Most people in New Orleans are politically Conservative, they are just less hypocritical than the ones out in the rural backwaters, who keep their excesses and transgressions and sins of the heart better hidden from view.
How do you come to the conclusion that New Orleans is mostly conservative?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How do you come to the conclusion that New Orleans is mostly conservative?
New Orleans is only a "sin city" for white people. For blacks, it is just a place to live and work and try to pay the rent and put food on the table. In mostly white suburban Jefferson Parish, Romney won 74% of the vote. The combined vote count for Orleans, Jefferson, St. Tammany, St. Bernard Parishes went for Romney

The OP's question is about what southern conservative think of New Orleans, and plenty of southern conservatives live in New Orleans, and don't seem inclined to try to change the city's character, which brings in a lot of outside revenue and keeps their own taxes down. Nearly all income property in New Orleans is owned by conservatives, who happily generate more income any way they can without being overly concerned about the associated social issues.

Conservative think more about their own personal wealth, with social issues secondary, and they will do whatever it takes to keep their wealth from trickling into the hands of "the wrong kind of people". And then they accuse Liberals of trying to manipulate social economics.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So I take it you won't be back?

Good - one less tourist to dodge around at the French Market!

I don't stay in the touristy areas of New Orleans. I head straight for Old Metairie, City Park, the museums outside the French Quarter, that sort of thing. I always VISIT the Quarter, but I don't want to hang out there for days. There's so much more to see in New Orleans and the surrounding areas.

When was the last time you were there, by the way?
...thank you...

Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I saw shops selling voodoo dolls, paraphanelia etc. I never imagined people took that stuff seriously, but clearly they do. As far as the rest of what I saw I wont go into detail but people were performing lude acts with each other on the balconies. Crowds beneath were encouraging it. Like I said before I actually enjoyed the city during the day, and I would return but not during the late night hours when those things become more prominent.

Vodoo? It's really a myth. I was born and raised in New Orleans and has NEVER met anyone that practiced of believes in Vodoo. I'm not saying that there are not those who believes or practices it, I just don't know of any PERSONALLY.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
They can also be some of the most racist and intolerant people you'll ever meet.
If you think New Orleans is racist and intolerent TRY other parts of Louisiana would make New Orleans look GOOD in that regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.