Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of climate/weather do you like? Read post first.
Tropical(always summer) 23 10.90%
Subtropical(almost always summer) 33 15.64%
Deserts(dry and hot, slightly cooler in winter) 7 3.32%
Intermediate(summer half the time, cooler in winter) 25 11.85%
Temperate(four seasons) 82 38.86%
Coniferous(milder summers, longer cool/cold winters) 27 12.80%
Taiga(short cool summers, long cold winters) 6 2.84%
Tundra(almost always winter) 0 0%
Icecap(if you vote for this, explain why!) 0 0%
Maritime, a special type of climate. 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Was he talking about arctic tundras? Or maybe maritime? Vancouver could be good for him, summers tend to stay below 70 degrees and winters are mild, they dont usually drop below 20.
That is inaccurate. On average Vancouver is 70 F in June, and 75 F in July and August.

You might have been there once and seen weather like that, but it could have been a cooler year. We get more than 10 F variation between hot summers and cooler summers at these latitudes.

You can say that in summer, Vancouver is usually under 80 F and Toronto is usually under 85 F.

I've seen freak heat waves in the Yukon where it was 100-105 F for 3-5 days; that's almost 2000 miles north of the U.S. Pacific Northwest. They were still in the tree-line area though, so that's in a climate barely warm enough to be called Subarctic.

I don't believe you can fully escape 60 F plus weather without living in the Arctic.

I meant this post to be informative, not annoying or condescending by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
I love the snow! I just hate the cold that comes with it. That bitter cold with the biting winds actually hurts. I used to be a big fan of the summer heat but now that I'm getting older, I can do without it. But I do need to live where there is enough warm weather months so I can garden. Love me some roses!
I concur. I hate the cold clear days. It's either snow or I'd rather have in the 50's or 60's (I don't like brutal heat, just comfortable).

Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That is inaccurate. On average Vancouver is 70 F in June, and 75 F in July and August.

You might have been there once and seen weather like that, but it could have been a cooler year. We get more than 10 F variation between hot summers and cooler summers at these latitudes.

You can say that in summer, Vancouver is usually under 80 F and Toronto is usually under 85 F.

I've seen freak heat waves in the Yukon where it was 100-105 F for 3-5 days; that's almost 2000 miles north of the U.S. Pacific Northwest. They were still in the tree-line area though, so that's in a climate barely warm enough to be called Subarctic.

I don't believe you can fully escape 60 F plus weather without living in the Arctic.

I meant this post to be informative, not annoying or condescending by the way.

If you are talking about Alaska, the record is 100f in that state. I highly doubt its ever gone to 100f anywhere besides southernmost Canada. I was in Toronto several years ago and we had a heatwave of 89f and some of the locals said they have never felt anything like this before!
You could live in the mountains. At high enough elevation you have alpine tundra. But few people are willing to live in a such cold climate just to escape the warm summers. Ill gladly take a maritime climate and deal with the occasional warm summer. Its annoying when everyday is hot though!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I was in Toronto several years ago and we had a heatwave of 89f and some of the locals said they have never felt anything like this before!
They lie, they forget, their new to Toronto, they stay indoors most of the year or they're simply stupid is my guess.

We had one day forecast at 35 C (95 F) last summer and in places it was as high as 97. We AVERAGE 14 days a year at 31 C (88 F) or more.

Some years we get no weather above 88 F, while other years we've more than 40 days above 88 F. I saw 100 F in 1989 here.

The prairies are not southernmost Canada and they all have records hotter than Ontario. Manitoba which is north of Minnesota has a record high of 115 F while Ontario has only reached 105 F.

NAH, you need to stop looking at averages about the north and making assumptions, based on what you're familiar with in Florida.

I heard on TV that scientists believe one of the reasons extreme heat is possible way up north is because the sun shines longer in the summer here, and that can compensate for the lower sun angle. In southern Ontario it's 15.5 hours, in southern Manitoba it's 17 plus hours and in the Yukon it's 20 plus hours. Any place that is many miles away from large bodies of water (or ice/snow cover) can heat up to 100 F or more.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-31-2007 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks so much ColdCanadian, NAH needed that, it was getting irritating the way he talks about up north like he knows it or something.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM

South Florida averages like 300 hot days. 14 hot days in Canada is nothing, I can deal with the occasional unusually hot day but when its always hot thats annoying! I will have to check the record highs for different parts of Canada, if its gotten to 115f thats very supprising!
Whats wrong about looking at averages? So what if theres a handful of hot days? The average is much cooler, ive been up north and know this. Ive experienced that 89 degree hot day in Toronto but it was only that day, the following days were about 75 degrees. The long hours of sun hardly explain why. Look at the south pole, its daylight 24/7 for 6 months and its always below zero! I am going to blame global warming and heat waves for the occasional freaky hot weather at high(er) latitudes. Its always hot at low latitudes and rarely hot at high(er) latitudes.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
averages? So what if theres a handful of hot days? The average is much cooler, ive been up north and know this. Ive experienced that 89 degree hot day in Toronto but it was only that day, the following days were about 75 degrees.

The long hours of sun hardly explain why. Look at the south pole, its daylight 24/7 for 6 months and its always below zero! I am going to blame global warming and heat waves for the occasional freaky hot weather at high(er) latitudes. Its always hot at low latitudes and rarely hot at high(er) latitudes.
It's NOT global warming...
It IS heat waves though. A record heat wave up north ALAWYS means temps more than 20 F hotter than the average. If you had that in Miami, you're record highs would be like 120 F, not 99 F!

Our climate is supposed to be very unstable, compared to Florida and the southern U.S. My Grandpa remembers one day in March well into the 80's F when the average is about 40 F, back in the 1930's where he wanted to swim but Lake Ontario was still near freezing. It was that unstable even when settlers came 100 years earlier.

One difference is that at our latitudes weather patterns change quickly, so that creates a fair amount of westerly wind.

Florida and most of the southern U.S. are dominated by the "Subtropical High Pressures" which cause light wind of no particular direction. That region is also called the "Horse Latitudes" coined by frustrated sailors who either ate their horses or tossed their horses overboard.

I suspect the long hours CAN play a role in making extreme heat IF the wind wind and pressure conditions are in place. That's what I think causes heat waves on "once in a blue moon" days to be hotter in the northern Plains States than further south like Oklahoma or Texas.

The south Pole is a solid ice cap over a mile thick in some places. That ice never melts. No amount of sun can make the air hot when you're surrounded by ice.

*Basically, in Toronto on any given calendar day in July, our daytime highs can be between 95 F and 55 F and still not cause us to break a daily record. (depending on the day) In many parts of Northern Ontario, any calendar day in July can be between 40 F and 95 F, depending on how the wind blows.

I say calendar day, because there's a lot of variability with dramatic changes (like a prolonged period sunny and 75-90 F, turning to overcast/rain and 65-79 F) in weather happening at least every month and a half in summer, but usually changing every 1-3 weeks.

The only thing we can expect in Toronto is that we won't get frost, but we can also have sunrise at an excessively muggy 85 F.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:01 PM

That is some crazy unpredictable northern weather! But you stand correct that its usually cooler than south. The records in most northern states are higher than in south FL, yet south FL is consistantly 85-97 in the summer while the northern states can be anywhere from 50-100+ in the summer, but usually between 60-75. If you get a heatwave, id recommend staying indoors and turning the a/c up on that day. Extreme heat over 95f can kill!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:22 PM

Extreme cold can kill too. I know you hate heat, but your excessive posts bashing south FL heat and nothing else are getting boring.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
I chose temperate. I like the summers to be hot and dry with little precipiation. I like the winters to have plenty of snow. The fall and spring changes are just bonuses. Especially if the area has tress that change colors alot, and the spring has lots of fresh growth. Where is the best climate like that? Boise? Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.