Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of climate/weather do you like? Read post first.
Tropical(always summer) 23 10.90%
Subtropical(almost always summer) 33 15.64%
Deserts(dry and hot, slightly cooler in winter) 7 3.32%
Intermediate(summer half the time, cooler in winter) 25 11.85%
Temperate(four seasons) 82 38.86%
Coniferous(milder summers, longer cool/cold winters) 27 12.80%
Taiga(short cool summers, long cold winters) 6 2.84%
Tundra(almost always winter) 0 0%
Icecap(if you vote for this, explain why!) 0 0%
Maritime, a special type of climate. 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Then you could vote for maritime like I did. Nice mild summers and winters By the way most people do prefer a cooler climate, cool enough to get snow in the winter! This is why I am supprised when I see someone tired of their climate and wanting to move to a tropical climate.
Likewise I'm surprised that more people voted for "Coniferous Zone" (which starts around the sub-arctic borderline area) than for subtropical and tropical combined.

Maybe it's a case of many people "wanting what they can't/don't have"...

In Canada, most people prefer living south of that boreal (northern coniferous) forest zone. In eastern Canada the only thing milder is the Temperate Zone (all of southern Ontario and scattered pockets in the remainder of Eastern Canada) but near the Pacific they have both the Temperate and Marine Zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I voted for tropical...love the hot

Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
Just to let you know NAH - they ALWAYS do polls asking to vote for favorite season on weather dot com...Guess what?
SUMMER ALWAYS WINS!!! Hands down!!!!! (And I think just a few more people probably go to that site than this one...)
Though I guess you could prefer 4 seasons, but have summer as your favorite...Now why you wouldn't want to have your favorite weather all year is beyond me, but whatever! To each his own. It's like some people prefer routine, & some people prefer changing it up.
(Can you guess that I prefer routine? - hey, this could be a whole new thread! Hey Grammy, are ya reading? )
Oh, and yeah - where did you get those clasifications from? That's interesting!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
I learned the biomes in high school biology, theres probably about 20 different biomes, but I put down the major ones. Summer is my least favoriate, ill choose winter in a tropical or subtropical zone and spring/fall in a temperate zone. Yea if I was visiting a taiga or tundra zone then summers would be short and cool and I dont even wanna stick around once summer is over! Accroding to this poll, most people prefer a temperate climate, one with four defined seasons. I dont blame them, I am sick and tired of the tropical heat and most people apperently agree. You are one of the minority that likes to sweat everyday. I am sick and tired of being hot and sweaty

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Guess what?
SUMMER ALWAYS WINS!!! Hands down!!!!! (And I think just a few more people probably go to that site than this one...)
Though I guess you could prefer 4 seasons, but have summer as your favorite...Now why you wouldn't want to have your favorite weather all year is beyond me, but whatever!
Well, that's probably because there are many kinds of summers, depending on where you're talking about. The only universal traits are that summers are often/always frostless, prolonged overcast weather is less common to impossible and the long hours of daylight.

While I do like the sun feeling like a gentle heat lamp and the air feeling like a warm fuzzy blanket, I do occaisionally enjoy cool weather like 65 F and sunny, especially when doing yard work. I also enjoy seeing a dramatic change in spring landscapes.

I honestly don't know how I'd feel if I never got to see spring again. (if I lived somewhere tropical)

The trade off would be in a subtropical climate, the ocean would only be cold (mid 70's or lower) to swim in most of the year, but in a tropical climate it's possible to swim year-round without a wetsuit.

All other things being equal, I might be just as happy somewhere tropical.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
prolonged overcast weather is less common to impossible
Oh, how I wish that were true! Here on the Oregon coast our unofficial motto is "Land of prolonged overcast in summer".

Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You are one of the minority that likes to sweat everyday. I am sick and tired of being hot and sweaty
I wouldn't want to be very sticky or dripping sweat everyday, but I'm an efficient sweater so it'd be hard to find a climate that'd make me do that.

For example, Ft. Lauderdale at 85 F in January wasn't warm enough to cause me to sweat noticeably. Jamaica at 90 F still wasn't hot enough to make full beads of sweat form; just a bit of patchy dampness. Basically, I won't "drip" sweat under 96 F without moderate excersize.

Another thing is I take often take a bit of sweat in stride, because it's more comfortable than stinging fingers when it's below 50 F or cold, clammy toes in temps as high as 74 F.

Sometimes in summer even other people's A/C is too much, so I'd prefer to be a little oily and stay outdoors than to have stinging toes.

BTW NAH, I still enjoyed your thread, I hope this doesn't sound like a rant. I'm having a good time reading and responding to it.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-23-2007 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Oh, how I wish that were true! Here on the Oregon coast our unofficial motto is "Land of prolonged overcast in summer".
Well what I meant is overcast weather seems to be less common than in winter, spring or fall in most places.

Is it actually more overcast in summer than other seasons on the Oregon Coast?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-23-2007 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Well it looks like five times as many people prefer temperate over tropical. You shouldnt be complaining about the cold if you chose/voted for temperate!

Let me further add that while I want a cooler climate, I dont want a Coniferous climate, its too cold for me. I also dont want anything hotter than subtropics(north FL and Georgia) Basically I want a zone 7a to 9a climate. Pennsylvania is as cold as ill go and I would prefer a milder 7b or 8a zone.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Just look at all the votes for the temperate zone! Who would have expected that?
I live in a Maritime weather place on the Oregon coast. it's okay but I decided to vote for the intermediate weather. Sometimes I'd like just a little more change and a bit warmer during summer. However I wasn't thinking about it being in North Carolina ect. I was thinking more of the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.