Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. Why do some people still stereotype the South? It's as if they have swallowed the line that the South is that much different. It's not. I travel frequently, and I have never had one person ask me where I was from based on the way I talk. Not one. Only when I initiate a talk about places and where I am from does it ultimately get to an individual asking something ridiculous about the South (such as something about hillbillies), or to begin deriding me. If I hadn't said anything, they'd probably have never known. Thus, this shows that the South isn't that different, particularly amongst many under 40-somethings.

Culturally, there are differences in traditional cuisines and history, but the rural areas of the South aren't that much different from the rural areas of other regions, and the Suburban and Urban areas of the South aren't that much different from the Suburban and Urban areas of other regions.

Many people base their views of of the South on the media's less-than-flattering portrait, not a realistic portrait in the general sense.

How can people have such ridiculous views or opinions about the most populated region of the country (about 110 million, over one-third of the U.S. population). It baffles the mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I don't get it. Why do some people still stereotype the South? It's as if they have swallowed the line that the South is that much different. It's not. I travel frequently, and I have never had one person ask me where I was from based on the way I talk. Not one. Only when I initiate a talk about places and where I am from does it ultimately get to an individual asking something ridiculous about the South (such as something about hillbillies), or to begin deriding me. If I hadn't said anything, they'd probably have never known. Thus, this shows that the South isn't that different, particularly amongst many under 40-somethings.

Culturally, there are differences in traditional cuisines and history, but the rural areas of the South aren't that much different from the rural areas of other regions, and the Suburban and Urban areas of the South aren't that much different from the Suburban and Urban areas of other regions.

Many people base their views of of the South on the media's less-than-flattering portrait, not a realistic portrait in the general sense.

How can people have such ridiculous views or opinions about the most populated region of the country (about 110 million, over one-third of the U.S. population). It baffles the mind.

Because people still stereotype the north..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:

I agree. I am sure you have heard about the student assignment here being ruled unconstitutional because of race being a factor. Well, so was Seattle's. How much do you actually hear about theirs? I may be wrong but I get a sense of since it is Kentucky the media has more fun with it. Who knows.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:

Then you ain't spent time in my parts. I know who's local and who ain't just as soon as I meet them. It's certain ways they react to you first seeing them, how they talk,and what they say when they talk.But thats for the folks we run into ,say...at least 30 miles or so away in any direction. The locals that live here know each other for miles. If your sitting in a row of chairs at the store with all the older folks that pass time all day, and if a guy walks up and nairy feller calls that person by last name, then that person ain't from three counties around.And if they are, then they moved here from other parts non local.

Each year we drive up north to meet with folks from all over our country, lots of folks show up from about every state. The guys from up north always ask me to define words that are everyday spoken down here. To me, well, they talk funny to.

Here in my neck of the woods, you dont pass a car on the road that the driver don't wave howdy as it drives by, and if they don't, locals'll give you the finger for being stuck up,,or ''to good to speak''. That holds true anywhere you run into folks here, kinda like when somebody comes out of a store and acts like they are running late or something not taking the time to say howdy and throw a hand out asking how you doin' today. We know those folks came from a life elsewhere, and they are not used to a laid back way of living and only have money on their mind. We in these parts we know theres a way better quality of life than ''just having money''.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-28-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
It's because the south still underachieves when it comes to education spending and income levels. They lag behind every other region in poverty and teen birth rates. Until they address these problems, they will still be viewed as pariahs. That, and the accents. Also, the south killed hiphop.

Last edited by toughguy; 07-28-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Then you ain't spent time in my parts. I know who's local and who ain't just as soon as I meet them. It's certain ways they react to you first seeing them, how they talk,and what they say when they talk.But thats for the folks we run into ,say...at least 30 miles or so away in any direction. The locals that live here know each other for miles. If your sitting in a row of chairs at the store with all the older folks that pass time all day, and if a guy walks up and nairy feller calls that person by last name, then that person ain't from three counties around.And if they are, then they moved here from other parts non local.

Each year we drive up north to meet with folks from all over our country, lots of folks show up from about every state. The guys from up north always ask me to define words that are everyday spoken down here. To me, well, they talk funny to.

Here in my neck of the woods, you dont pass a car on the road that the driver don't wave howdy as it drives by, and if they don't, locals'll give you the finger for being stuck up,,or ''to good to speak''. That holds true anywhere you run into folks here, kinda like when somebody comes out of a store and acts like they are running late or something not taking the time to say howdy and throw a hand out asking how you doin' today. We know those folks came from a life elsewhere, and they are not used to a laid back way of living with only money on their mind. We in these parts know theres a way better quality of life than ''just having money''.
Good post! I love what it says under your name by the way

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Then you ain't spent time in my parts. I know who's local and who ain't just as soon as I meet them. It's certain ways they react to you first seeing them, how they talk,and what they say when they talk.But thats for the folks we run into ,say...30 miles away. The locals that live here know each other for miles. If your sitting in a row of chairs at the store with all the older folks that pass time all day, and if a guy walks up and nairy feller calls that person by last name, then that person ain't from three counties around.And if they are, then they moved here from other parts non local.
That's a rural characteristic, and that can be found all over the U.S. in rural areas. Of course, in a small town, in anywhere USA, people are more likely to know that you are not local, considering they've never seen you in such a small place.

People can identify you as not being local, but that doesn't mean that they can identify you as being from another region.

By the way, I've traveled all over, and I do it quite frequently. I've been to forty eight states, Canada, Mexico, and a few European countries. I've traveled a bit, I'd say.

Quote:
When people know that I'm from the south, they may ask me to state what I call certain items. For example, they may say "Shopping cart" and I'll say "Buggy". However, those are simply different words. The general culture of the regions, however, aren't really that much different.

Quote:
Here in my neck of the woods, you dont pass a car on the road that the driver don't wave howdy as it drives by, and if they don't, locals'll give you the finger for being stuck up,,or ''to good to speak''.
It sounds like you live on a small rural road that doesn't get much traffic, it may even be a dirt or gravel road. When there's too many cars on the road, it's pointless to wave to people, because you can't wave to everyone, and you'll only look like an idiot if you try. Whenever I'm in small towns or farming communities, I'll act like the local and wave. It doesn't matter if I'm in a California desert town or a small farming town in North Carolina.

Quote:
That holds true anywhere you run into folks here, kinda like when somebody comes out of a store and acts like they are running late or something not taking the time to say howdy and throw a hand out asking how you doin' today. We know those folks came from a life elsewhere, and they are not used to a laid back way of living with only money on their mind. We in these parts know theres a way better quality of life than ''just having money''.
Again, what is common in rural areas across the U.S., not necessarily something that is only characterizable of the South.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's because the south still underachieves when it comes to education spending and income levels. They lag behind every other region in poverty and teen birth rates. Until they address these problems, they will still be viewed as pariahs.
The South "underachieves" when it comes to education because it has a higher black population, which, wherever they are in high numbers anywhere in the U.S., the schools fail. This is common sense. There are a few areas of the South where it can be blamed on poverty and not in the extra "diversity", but this is a relatively small area (Eastern Kentucky, for the most part).

As far as education spending is concerned, Georgia provides a lot of funding for education. Income levels vary by area, and you still haven't considered that the cost of living is generally lower in much of the South, so that it really doesn't matter if the Income levels are lower.

Poverty is more a product of the much higher than average black population, not necessarily the white population, which is quite similar, albeit slightly higher in poverty levels than other regions. The anomoly is eastern Kentucky and a few surrounding areas.

Teen birth rates? Much to do with the different demographics, but I'll agree with you that teen birth rates, even within the white population, is slightly higher in many areas of the south as opposed to areas outside.

They will still be viewed as "pariahs". So I'm a pariah, when I live in a metro of over five million people, home to many nice communities, schools, etc.?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That's a rural characteristic, and that can be found all over the U.S. in rural areas. Of course, in a small town, in anywhere USA, people are more likely to know that you are not local, considering they've never seen you in such a small place.

People can identify you as not being local, but that doesn't mean that they can identify you as being from another region.

By the way, I've traveled all over, and I do it quite frequently. I've been to forty eight states, Canada, Mexico, and a few European countries. I've traveled a bit, I'd say.

When people know that I'm from the south, they may ask me to state what I call certain items. For example, they may say "Shopping cart" and I'll say "Buggy". However, those are simply different words. The general culture of the regions, however, aren't really that much different.

It sounds like you live on a small rural road that doesn't get much traffic, it may even be a dirt or gravel road. When there's too many cars on the road, it's pointless to wave to people, because you can't wave to everyone, and you'll only look like an idiot if you try. Whenever I'm in small towns or farming communities, I'll act like the local and wave. It doesn't matter if I'm in a California desert town or a small farming town in North Carolina.

Again, what is common in rural areas across the U.S., not necessarily something that is only characterizable of the South.

Well, being a simple minded southern gentlemen, I'd sit down and talk it over with a beer or two. Only one condition though, you must be white like the rest of us, or buy your own drink .

Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's because the south still underachieves when it comes to education spending and income levels. They lag behind every other region in poverty and teen birth rates. Until they address these problems, they will still be viewed as pariahs. That, and the accents. Also, the south killed hiphop.

Then why is it that so many are on this forum begging for info to move down here cause they got it sooo sooo bad elsewhere ( moreso from up north wanting to get away from their troubled states )

Fact. TN can't make everyone elses life better as sooner or later TN will end up a craphole like the places folks are leaving to come here. It's a matter of time.Oh,,that'll be our fault to right? It's our fault we are getting flooded with folks who care less about the ways we have and have always been used to.The kindness of TN will be lost. Then see who wants to keep heading here after all the good has been destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.