Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Most people move because of a job offer or family; not because they just "want to". Perhaps those people you hear are homesick. If two people meet in a city and discover they both came from the same locale they are apt to kvetch about what they miss as a common bond. Instead of listening to their conversation and becoming xenophobic we should move on or offer to tell them where they kind find something that may be a close approximation to what they are missing
Our first move was from Ca to Missouri, because we wanted to, wanted a big change and experience new things.
Our next move was to Georgia, for a job relo. We were all really happy with Missouri but saw Georgia as a new experience and opportunity to see new things. We've been very happy here and are now again moving, a job relo, to Virginia. Again, we are sad to leave Ga, but are also excited to experience a new place, see new things, etc...
We don't dwell on the negative. Each new place has great things to offer if you open your eyes. Even my kids are excited. We look online at all the fun stuff we can go do at our new place. The kids have all these places already picked that they want to visit first.
Even if your move is forced, it can still be wonderful. Some people just choose to be unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Our first move was from Ca to Missouri, because we wanted to, wanted a big change and experience new things.
Our next move was to Georgia, for a job relo. We were all really happy with Missouri but saw Georgia as a new experience and opportunity to see new things. We've been very happy here and are now again moving, a job relo, to Virginia. Again, we are sad to leave Ga, but are also excited to experience a new place, see new things, etc...
We don't dwell on the negative. Each new place has great things to offer if you open your eyes. Even my kids are excited. We look online at all the fun stuff we can go do at our new place. The kids have all these places already picked that they want to visit first.
Even if your move is forced, it can still be wonderful. Some people just choose to be unhappy.
I totally agree. There are things I miss about Boston (home), but then again I can't imagine leaving my white sand, warm, tropical beaches

Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree with Angel to a point. I can't tell you how many people moved here for the "low cost of living" and then complain abot how horrible and "backwards" we are. If you don't like us, you are free to leave. Don't try to change where you move to into where you moved from, that'll just get resentment from the natives and cause disappointment in you. Hence the "hate" towards "yankees" that alot of Southerners have.
Tell that to the people in my section of the forum.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Tell that to the people in my section of the forum.
Which section? Feel free to copy and paste

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Some people just choose to be unhappy.
I've moved a number of times, and I don't think it's quite as simple as that, though a positive attitude helps A LOT! Every time I've moved, there are things I miss about the old place, even if I thought I hated it! All of a sudden, things you take for granted aren't there any more. Eventually, you find replacements for those things. The other thing I would say to those tired of hearing transplants talk about how great things were "back home": saying something good about their old place isn't saying something bad about the new. Do take time to listen carefully. Someone saying, "Denver has 300 days of sunshine", is not saying anything bad about say, Baltimore.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Which section? Feel free to copy and paste
Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina section. They don't really want to adapt. They want to "help" our area..

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
....move TO a place, only to ask where can they get the EXACT life from where they just moved?
Just because you move to another city/state doesn't mean you erase all of your preferences or you suddenly develop all new habits and preferences.

Using your logic, if I move to Texas, I should love hot chili and burritos, even if I hate them? I moved to Atlanta, and I love pizza, but according to you, I should forget about pizza and start eating only soul food and BBQ? It makes no sense and ignores human nature.

People don't need to adopt 100% of their new areas local customs and ditch their old preferences just because they move. You shouldn't refuse to try new things and rub your old preferences in people's faces, but you're entitled to like what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.