Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times

Advertisements

For those who spent all - or the majority - of their years at least up until high school in one town or city, I would consider that their hometown. For those who moved often due to military parents or other reasons, I would say it is where they spent the most time during those years or the place with which they felt the most connection - the one that feels like "home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I basically consider it where one grows up and feels the most connected to. My friend who didn't move to my hometown till high school was wondering what she should consider her hometown b/c she went to middle school in Indiana and elementary school in Philly. So I asked here what sports teams she roots for the most and since she roots for Bay Area sports teams over all other ones, that is where her hometown is. So I think many times just ask yourself what sports teams you root for the most and that would be a pretty good indication on what your hometown is.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
i definitely say where the majority of your childhood took place. mine...woodbridge, VA =)

i dont want to live there my whole life, and i am in jax now...but it still feels warm and homie.
Sorry this is a little off topic, but....I notice your screen name is Love2LiveNCities, yet, you reside in Jacksonville. Ironic, no?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
For those who spent all - or the majority - of their years at least up until high school in one town or city, I would consider that their hometown. For those who moved often due to military parents or other reasons, I would say it is where they spent the most time during those years or the place with which they felt the most connection - the one that feels like "home."
I 100% totally agree with you. couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I basically consider it where one grows up and feels the most connected to. My friend who didn't move to my hometown till high school was wondering what she should consider her hometown b/c she went to middle school in Indiana and elementary school in Philly. So I asked here what sports teams she roots for the most and since she roots for Bay Area sports teams over all other ones, that is where her hometown is. So I think many times just ask yourself what sports teams you root for the most and that would be a pretty good indication on what your hometown is.
So, by this definition, my hometown is in New Jersey and yet I've never lived there. My favorite team in my favorite sport is the New Jersey Devils, yet I've NEVER lived there. Something is amiss in this argument.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
So, by this definition, my hometown is in New Jersey and yet I've never lived there. My favorite team in my favorite sport is the New Jersey Devils, yet I've NEVER lived there. Something is amiss in this argument.
That's why I said MANY times b/c I realize there are some people out there that root for sports teams in places they've never lived for whatever reason. Anymore hairs you'd like to split?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
for me its where you were raised. I was born in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh but grew up in Maryland in a little town. That little town is where i consider my hometown, not the place near Pittsburgh where i was born. Its where you have spend most of your childhood life and where most of your memories are of home

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Yep, where I was born and raised and originally from.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's why I said MANY times b/c I realize there are some people out there that root for sports teams in places they've never lived for whatever reason. Anymore hairs you'd like to split?
LOL I'm sure I could find some but I'm done for now.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
It depends on the gist of the conversation. Beaver Falls, PA is my hometown. It's where I grew up and went to high school. Pittsburgh is my hometown. It's the metropolitan area that Beaver Falls is located in, and also where I went to college. Louisville, Colorado is my hometown now. It's where my kids were raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.