U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
867 posts, read 1,799,589 times
Reputation: 452
For those who spent all - or the majority - of their years at least up until high school in one town or city, I would consider that their hometown. For those who moved often due to military parents or other reasons, I would say it is where they spent the most time during those years or the place with which they felt the most connection - the one that feels like "home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,133 posts, read 13,048,016 times
Reputation: 5336
I basically consider it where one grows up and feels the most connected to. My friend who didn't move to my hometown till high school was wondering what she should consider her hometown b/c she went to middle school in Indiana and elementary school in Philly. So I asked here what sports teams she roots for the most and since she roots for Bay Area sports teams over all other ones, that is where her hometown is. So I think many times just ask yourself what sports teams you root for the most and that would be a pretty good indication on what your hometown is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,381,817 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
i definitely say where the majority of your childhood took place. mine...woodbridge, VA =)

i dont want to live there my whole life, and i am in jax now...but it still feels warm and homie.
Sorry this is a little off topic, but....I notice your screen name is Love2LiveNCities, yet, you reside in Jacksonville. Ironic, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,754,229 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
For those who spent all - or the majority - of their years at least up until high school in one town or city, I would consider that their hometown. For those who moved often due to military parents or other reasons, I would say it is where they spent the most time during those years or the place with which they felt the most connection - the one that feels like "home."
I 100% totally agree with you. couldnt have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,372 posts, read 4,990,812 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I basically consider it where one grows up and feels the most connected to. My friend who didn't move to my hometown till high school was wondering what she should consider her hometown b/c she went to middle school in Indiana and elementary school in Philly. So I asked here what sports teams she roots for the most and since she roots for Bay Area sports teams over all other ones, that is where her hometown is. So I think many times just ask yourself what sports teams you root for the most and that would be a pretty good indication on what your hometown is.
So, by this definition, my hometown is in New Jersey and yet I've never lived there. My favorite team in my favorite sport is the New Jersey Devils, yet I've NEVER lived there. Something is amiss in this argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,133 posts, read 13,048,016 times
Reputation: 5336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
So, by this definition, my hometown is in New Jersey and yet I've never lived there. My favorite team in my favorite sport is the New Jersey Devils, yet I've NEVER lived there. Something is amiss in this argument.
That's why I said MANY times b/c I realize there are some people out there that root for sports teams in places they've never lived for whatever reason. Anymore hairs you'd like to split?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,388 posts, read 11,253,185 times
Reputation: 1483
for me its where you were raised. I was born in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh but grew up in Maryland in a little town. That little town is where i consider my hometown, not the place near Pittsburgh where i was born. Its where you have spend most of your childhood life and where most of your memories are of home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Va Beach
3,508 posts, read 8,376,471 times
Reputation: 956
Yep, where I was born and raised and originally from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,372 posts, read 4,990,812 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's why I said MANY times b/c I realize there are some people out there that root for sports teams in places they've never lived for whatever reason. Anymore hairs you'd like to split?
LOL I'm sure I could find some but I'm done for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Status: "Fall is in the air-too soon!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
68,252 posts, read 56,586,563 times
Reputation: 19240
It depends on the gist of the conversation. Beaver Falls, PA is my hometown. It's where I grew up and went to high school. Pittsburgh is my hometown. It's the metropolitan area that Beaver Falls is located in, and also where I went to college. Louisville, Colorado is my hometown now. It's where my kids were raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top