Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times

Advertisements

Montreal is indeed a lovely city, but last time I checked it wasn't in the US. So unless there have been some massive socio-political realignments in the past five minutes, I doubt his US visa is valid there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Montreal is indeed a lovely city, but last time I checked it wasn't in the US. So unless there have been some massive socio-political realignments in the past five minutes, I doubt his US visa is valid there.
Dang, I almost spewed my coffee out reading that! That is exactly the kind of thing with a touch of sarcasm I'd say! A person who shares my humor

Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Miffed at all the new geography here!

No coffee to spit but I did chuckle the book out of my hand!

And, I believe our new friend, greencard is a lassie not a lad! Could be wrong, could be wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Dang, I almost spewed my coffee out reading that! That is exactly the kind of thing with a touch of sarcasm I'd say! A person who shares my humor

Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 PM

14 posts, read 33,159 times
Whew! I thought I'd never have any friends on this board after this. Actually asked for this post to be deleted 'cos I felt bad about offending but I'll keep going seeing as there's some replies.

I knew someone would say canada..! I checked - Montreal is still in Canada and my visa says 'America'.

We are very tongue in cheek us Aussies. I guess the spirit of my post is
' hey look, this is stupid but this is my dream - how much can you puncture this one and tell me the reality?' and you done GOOD! I've been slapped down big time..

Yes - I'm a lassie not a lad.

I didn't know the crime stat on Sydney but just ignore everything I said about it anyway!

Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencardwinner View Post
Whew! I thought I'd never have any friends on this board after this. Actually asked for this post to be deleted 'cos I felt bad about offending but I'll keep going seeing as there's some replies.

I knew someone would say canada..! I checked - Montreal is still in Canada and my visa says 'America'.

We are very tongue in cheek us Aussies. I guess the spirit of my post is
' hey look, this is stupid but this is my dream - how much can you puncture this one and tell me the reality?' and you done GOOD! I've been slapped down big time..

Yes - I'm a lassie not a lad.

I didn't know the crime stat on Sydney but just ignore everything I said about it anyway!
I'm sorry I responded harshly to you. I was offended. I realize now that there was a humor failure as Ontheroad so wisely saw and explained.
I wish you well in your dream.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM

14 posts, read 33,159 times
Thanx MoMark.

Well - I haven't learnt much about where I can live but I've learnt something about cross cultural humour on the internet!

You said you wouldn't trade living in the USA for Oz and good on you for loving your country. I also love my country but I feel I've been given this rare opportunity - so I'm going to try it. Scary though - to leave what you know

Old 01-26-2007, 02:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
greencard
I met many, many Aussie and Kiwi transplants in Colorado.They were not just passing through--they settled.
Not sure how they found their way to the center-west of the USA, but find it they did. As you know, many people from Oz tend to be travelers.
Now I would never call Denver the Paris of America, but it does have a lot of things going for it. Denver is now very much discovered, and is more crowded now than it was when I was young, but it's still a good place. They've had a terrible winter this year, but that is unusual.
Good schools, nice climate, cultural activities, restaurants, musuems etc.
Traffic can be hellacious, but it depends where you live. Check out the Colorado forum. Many refugees from California are headed that way.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:24 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Have you considered Portland, Oregon? It fits pretty much all of your criteria...
Cultured: As much as any other big city in the US, I guess... Oregon does have it's share of "rednecks", but they're usually in the small towns & suburbs. The city of Portland has all the usual cultural activities - opera, symphony, museums, theatres, events, etc.

Liberal: Yup! As mentioned above, there are more conservative parts of Oregon... but you'll find PLENTY of the liberal mind-set in Portland, Eugene, and Ashland (among other towns).

Diverse cultures: Portland is fairly diverse, though not as much as other big cities around the US... it has good percentage of Asians, small-ish Hispanic and Black populations, and a strong gay community as well. But people are still very unique in that town, no matter what their demographics!

Near water: It's got tons of that!! The Columbia River runs right through, the Pacific Ocean is fairly close, and there are lots of lakes/rivers/etc. around that region. In my opinion, the Columbia Gorge area is one of the most gorgeous spots in the world - and I've been a lot of places, including Sydney (which I think is a great city, btw).

Near State Univ: There's Portland State, which is a pretty good school... and a bit of a drive away, you'd have Eastern Oregon, Oregon State, Western Oregon, and Southern Oregon to choose from.

As for the rest of your list, it covers those too... only drawback is the weather, which is very wet & rainy in the winter. There's a reason why the U. of Oregon mascot is a duck, LOL. (I actually went there for 2 years, and officially grew webbed feet ) But the other seasons are quite pleasant, and all that rain makes the place so green and beautiful. I also don't know much about the train system, but they are very big on environmentalism, so I assume it's decent. Anyway, sorry for the super long post, but just thought I'd sell you on this great town!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Gizmo's mention of water reminded me of a drawback of Denver's--not much water there other than Cherry Creek Reservoir and a few lakes.
The entire time I lived there I craved the beach.

Portland might work, but the damp climate might be a shock after sunny Sydney.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
That is one thing I like about people from Oz, they go everywhere and anywhere, quite literally. It seems like almost anywhere I've been (except for small podunk towns in the US), I've seen you guys (and girls).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.