Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times

Advertisements

I've seen some posters list the attributes of places I'm not a big fan of, and one of those attributes is often that it has a great "mall" (Houston/Minnes. in particular). Anyone else view that as kind of silly "attribute"? Does anyone mention the great "mall" in NYC, SF, Paris, Rome? What's so great about a giant indoor mall? Tell me why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis is the only mall worth mentioning as a great attribute IMO. That is the only mall I have ever been to and not been bored out of my mind after 20 minutes. Although, at the end of the day, it is still just a mall....

Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Not speaking for malls I havn't been to (like the mentioned Mall of America), I find malls boring, dull and bland. They all have about the same stores from coast to coast with the same gawdy, over priced, cheap made clothes.

I think malls are now for those who are too sheep like to be anything else. I mean, how many different Holister shirts can one person possibly stand to have and how many ways can the company print "Hollister" on a shirt? Talk about BORING!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
In general, I hate malls and would never consider moving anywhere based on how nice their malls are. I'm much more impressed with how much retail is alive in a city's urban core rather than in stupid suburban malls.

However, I can also understand why cities in colder climates have malls. Anyone who's ever spent a winter in Montreal can definitely appreciate their huge underground malls.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
I think malls are about as exciting as watching grass grow. And I would never live somewhere because it has "good malls", if you do that, that's kind of shallow, IMO.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
However, I can also understand why cities in colder climates have malls. Anyone who's ever spent a winter in Montreal can definitely appreciate their huge underground malls.
Cities in warmer climates need them too, especially in summer months. They can be urban or suburban, so the presence of a mall doesn't necessarily equate suburban sprawl. I personally don't like these new "lifestyle centers" that have come to replace malls in recent years. Lifestyle centers are nothing but glorified strip malls that encourage automobile use. In fact, the reason lifestyle centers have become so popular is because people like the convenience of being able to park close to the store they want to visit without having to walk through the enclosed mall. I hope enclosed malls make a comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I think malls are about as exciting as watching grass grow. And I would never live somewhere because it has "good malls", if you do that, that's kind of shallow, IMO.
I agree, but name one nice city (of decent size) that has crappy malls.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM

543 posts, read 559,041 times
Ever since the Discovery Store closed, I don't even know what to do when people drag me to a mall. Take that back, there's a game store with Settlers of Catan.

Besides that, claiming to have the best mall is the same as claiming to have the best torture device to me.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I agree, but name one nice city (of decent size) that has crappy malls.
I don't really know, but moving to Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc. for the "good malls" and not for the high quality of life, high paying jobs, etc. is ridiculous, IMO

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Cities in warmer climates need them too, especially in summer months. They can be urban or suburban, so the presence of a mall doesn't necessarily equate suburban sprawl. I personally don't like these new "lifestyle centers" that have come to replace malls in recent years. Lifestyle centers are nothing but glorified strip malls that encourage automobile use. In fact, the reason lifestyle centers have become so popular is because people like the convenience of being able to park close to the store they want to visit without having to walk through the enclosed mall. I hope enclosed malls make a comeback.
I agree with you about "lifestyle centers." They really are nothing but glorified strip centers and encourage more driving. At least with enclosed malls people park their cars and then walk a lot, even if they do it with a gourmet chocolate chip cookie in one hand and an Orange Julius in the other. But with those stupid lifestyle centers people park their cars, go into one store, go back to their cars, drive to another part of the parking lot to go into another store, and so on.

And you're right that enclosed malls are a godsend for hot climates, too. I used to live in the Philippines and South China and can assure you that I spent a heck of a lot more time in the cool, climate-controlled enclosed malls than I did sweating my way through the polluted, crowded streets.

Still, for the most part I'm unimpressed with how many malls a city has and am more impressed with how vibrant the city's downtown is.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I don't really know, but moving to Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc. for the "good malls" and not for the high quality of life, high paying jobs, etc. is ridiculous, IMO
As I said, I agree. Moving to a place because of malls is a shallow thing, but all those places you mentioned have good malls. Again, name one nice city that has crappy malls. I am not the biggest mall fan myself, but I think like a city's skyline, the malls can be a glimpse into the atmosphere and culture of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.