Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The big secret of the low deserts in Arizona & California is how humid summers can get when the monsoon starts. I've nearly died of heat/humidity in Palm Springs in summer & places like Yuma & Phoenix are just the same as Palm Springs with periods of ungodly humidity that comes up from Mexico.
Yeah, its miserable for a few months, no doubt. But the rest of the year is about as dry as it gets. For me its a bit too dry, Id like about 20-30% more humidity.... along San Diego's lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM

163 posts, read 824,368 times
Southern Arizona is not pleasant in the summer. We visited the San Diego area in early September and was truly surprised that the humidity was horrible. It really bothered me.
We were much more comfortable in Arizona with a higher temperature and lower humidity.
Amazing how humidity affects some of us.
But if the original poster is looking for sun, well southern Arizona is the sun spot of the country.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 PM

266 posts, read 286,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, that would depend on what area of California. The deserts of California are just as dry as the deserts of Arizona.
Not quite.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 PM

266 posts, read 286,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Here is data from the NCDC. Yuma Arizona is indeed the sunniest city in the USA.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt

Top ten in sunshine

1. Yuma, AZ
2. Redding, CA
3. Las Vegas, NV
4. Phoenix, AZ
5. Tucson, AZ
6. El Paso, TX
7. Fresno, CA
8. Reno, NV
9. Flagstaff, AZ
10. Sacramento, CA
-Sacramento is my personal favorite of cities in the top ten.

Ranking of other cities mentioned before: San Diego (#33), Denver (#30), Los Angeles (#18), Albuquerque (#11)
Phoenix should be third. Phoenix gets 86% sunshine, and Vegas gets 85%.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
Albuquerque is for the same reason it was a TB patient's heaven, dry and warm. This needs to be weighed against its altitude. If oxygen saturation is of upmost importance, pick somewhere lower like El Paso or Phoenix.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Just a heads up on weather in the Mountain West. We claim to have 4 seasons where in actually there are 2; Winter and Summer. This is a land of extremes. To give an example, it was in the 80's in Denver yesterday and this morning I'm looking at two feet of dirty snow in the corner of my office parking lot, remnants from the storms of the last few weeks. We do have some of the best weather in the country when mother nature cooperates. But in this part of the country, it's always a crap shoot

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
san diego has the best weather in the USA. If u don't have or make a lot of money, u would probably have to rent a room or an apartment.
I've been to San Diego where the fog didn't lift until noon or later! Those foggy mornings are dreary and as depressing as all get out! And let's not forget those chilly winter evenings and mornings! Best weather???????????

When researching sunniest cities in the country, Yuma topped the list with 320 days of sunshine a year, followed by Phoenix and Las Vegas @300 days of sunshine!

Sunshine and lowest humidity? Las Vegas, hands down, with their 4 inches of precip. a year, compared to Phoenix @ 7-8 inches of precip. (more humidity) and Tucson with nearly 11 inches of precip. a year, with even more humidity!

Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZguy99 View Post
Not quite.
(In answer to my reply that the deserts of California are just as dry as the deserts of Arizona):

The driest location in...

(Average annual rainfall)

California... 1.60", Cow Creek, Death Valley.

Arizona... 2.63", Yuma Valley.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 270 times
Bringing this thread back to life.

Yuma is the sunniest city in earth. It is also very dry, even during monsoon. I rarely see the humidity above 70%. And it's rains less than 3 inches a year. Plus temperatures rarely go to the 40s in the winter and rarely goes to 115 in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.