Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,968 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move AWAY from So. Calif and its craziness. We have our fingers crossed that the offer we are supposedly receiving on our house next week will be enough for us to escape.

I've been looking through the threads and have found lots of good ideas for places to move, but was wondering if you all could help us narrow it down...especially if the offer really does come through (all of a sudden the theoretical move may become a reality!)!

So far we've been focusing our search in Kentucky/Tennessee, but we are open to all suggestions.

Here's what we hope for:
Small town, not a suburb(less than 15,000 pop)
Equestrian-ish (we have a horse that would have to come with us and a teenager that is still horse crazy)
Love the rolling hills of KY....somewhere that can be green
Seasons (oh, to have seasons!)
Moderately close to an airport (as we'll have to keep commuting to LA )
Good schools (we have a 10th grader and a 1st grader)
Conservative (however, being conservative in So. Cal probably means I'm moderately conservative)
I'd love to get away with the bilingual stuff (I know that sounds creepy, but living in So. Cal. with heavy immigration - legal or otherwise - it's hard not to get bitter when your health care and schools suffer as badly as our have lately -- please don't think I'm being horrible).

In reading the different threads, I'm hoping that I'll get more great suggestions. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by camomus; 08-23-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
There are a number of towns to the east and south of Tulsa, OK that would meet your criteria quite well. And, by the way, like Kentucky and Tennessee,, Oklahoma is one of the top horse states in the country. There isn't much bilingual stuff in Oklahoma.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM

283 posts, read 900,341 times
Look at Aiken SC. very equestrain, small town, but close to Augusta GA, airport is in Augusta. It has some small rolling hills, 4 seasons with a mild winter, and conservative. I don't have kids, but hear there are good schools available.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,968 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions so far!

I'm sure you all can figure out that I meant "I'd love to get away FROM the bilingual stuff" as opposed to the original "I'd love to get away with the bilingual stuff." Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 31,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomus View Post
We are hoping to move AWAY from So. Calif and its craziness. We have our fingers crossed that the offer we are supposedly receiving on our house next week will be enough for us to escape.

I've been looking through the threads and have found lots of good ideas for places to move, but was wondering if you all could help us narrow it down...especially if the offer really does come through (all of a sudden the theoretical move may become a reality!)!

So far we've been focusing our search in Kentucky/Tennessee, but we are open to all suggestions.

Here's what we hope for:
Equestrian-ish (we have a horse that would have to come with us and a teenager that is still horse crazy)
Conservative (however, being conservative in So. Cal probably means I'm moderately conservative)
I'd love to get away with the bilingual stuff (I know that sounds creepy, but living in So. Cal. with heavy immigration - legal or otherwise - it's hard not to get bitter when your health care and schools suffer as badly as our have lately -- please don't think I'm being horrible).

In reading the different threads, I'm hoping that I'll get more great suggestions. Thanks so much in advance!
I'm thinking of retiring in KY from SF Bay area. I have done a lot of research and reviewed much of this site. Also, I used to live in Cincinnati long ago. I think the Danville area is what you are describing - also - lots of positive posts about Louisville area and Bowling Green - which i am also considering.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Western and North Western Nebraska would work for you.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomus View Post

Here's what we hope for:

Elkins, WV in Randolph County sounds like heaven for you. We have four distinctive seasons, small town feel. Around 7,000 inside city limits, serves an area of about 15,000. The area is very democratic, with the majority of people being social moderates, you have your flaming liberals (ME ) and you have plenty of conservatives too. We have the Elkins-Randolph County Airport, and you can also go to the Harrison-Marion Regional Airport, Yeager Airport, or Pittsburgh International within an hour or so. We live about 10 minutes east of Elkins and we too have horses.

Schools, Elkins High School is about a ten year old building and its ranked very high compared to the other schools in the area. There are also several elementary schools to choose from in the Elkins area as well.

We have very little Hispanic immigration. We have a little from workers who work in mills, etc. But most foreigners in the area are professionals. Physicians, professors, etc.

I'd also like to remind you, compared to the cost of a average home in So. Cal (sorry I work at Hollister ha ha) but the average home there would buy you a spectacular home with plenty of acreage in WV. We also have very low property taxes, and taxes in general.

Check it out, see if you may be interested. If nothing else it would a great vacation! Tourism is very in the area.

If you'd like to ask me any further questions please feel free to private message me, and you should also check out my online photo album of Randolph County.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Elkins-West-Virginia.html

Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia

Elkins-Randolph Co. Airport

Elkins, West Virginia

*near my house

Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
The Springfield/Branson area of Missouri has a lot of rolling hills, and Springfield has an airport. I'm not sure how big it is, though.

Springfield's about 100k people, but there are some smaller towns around there. It's beautiful country, as well as 4 seasons, though it doesn't always snow on Christmas. Usually the cold and snow start in January and are done by March.

I don't really know about schools. I graduated from a Missouri school, but I don't know about the Springfield ones.

Missouri is fairly conservative. Springfield is the headquarters for Assemblies of God and has 2 Christian colleges.

http://www.springfieldmo.org/final/ (broken link)
I know someone (though only online) who graduated in Nixa, MO.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:08 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
There are lots of towns in Northern California that would fit the bill. Take a trip to the Sierra Nevada foothills, the towns here are largely Gold Rush era (lots of history), rural (lots of equestrian activities, rodeos, etc.), and have pretty good schools. The seasons do exist here! Hot summers (for better or for worse, lots of summer activities), snowy winters (depending on location), and colorful autumns (large oak forests). The towns here are extremely conservative (almost to a fault), and you would be relatively close to Sacramento International Airport.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'd say pretty much anywhere in Appalachia from just south of Pittsburgh right on down to northern Alabama/Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.