Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

I think every single state has gorgeous areas, and of course beautiful areas are still "in the eye of the beholder."
With that being said though, I personally believe that some states have an overall general beauty about them than many others do. Each state has several areas, or pockets of gorgeous areas, where pictures that are breathtaking can be taken. BUT--on a daily basis, outside of these "gorgeous spots"--is the state really beautiful in the cul-de-sacs, cities, everyday highways, and routine drive-bys in most locations? The answer is "not really" in most areas.

I think the top 10 US states that have the most beautiful overall topography (including some human nice architecture), that are mostly without sprawl, smokestacks, over-development, barren landscape, and human-created ugly architecture, are below:

10: Montana
9: Idaho
8: Oregon
7: California
6: Wyoming
5: Hawaii
4: Vermont
3: Tennessee
2: Maine
1: North Carolina

Honorable mention: New York, West Virginia, New Hampshire, Washington, Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Just because a state like California is highly rated doesn't make it overrated. I like Tennessee for beauty, but that's about it on your list. Those states are your typical, boring midwest states that you can't tell apart half the time (I took note that you were from there. Up to a little hometown rooting, are ya?) I will agree with you on Florida though.
Yes your right, I live in central Michigan and I think your wrong about the upper midwest. Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota are not all boring. Do we have some areas that are stereotypical midwest? yea of course we do. Im not denying that. There are lots of places in this part of the country however that are far from boring, like the Mackinaw area of Michigan, Door penisula of Wisconsin, Apostle Islands Wi, Sleeping bear sand dunes Mi, All of the upper penisula of Michigan, the arrowhead of Minnesota. Lake Michigans beaches are some of the nicest in the nation, although the water is cold. Most of the northern parts of all three states are covered in forrest, lakes and rivers. Much of it is wilderness. Not boring at all. There are hundreds of waterfalls in northern michigan alone. Wisconsin and Minnesota are similar. Im not doing any hometown rooting, this is truly an underated part of the country. Out in California people are taught to believe that the whole midwest is nothing but cornfield, dotted with a few rundown cities like Detroit or Milwalkee. The upper midwest may be the MOST underated part of the nation, since most people have absolutely no idea what is really here. Ive met people from other parts of the country, east coast, deep south, west coast who come here to visit and are shocked by the scenery. They had no idea. Take a trip to Upper Michigan and you will see what Im talking about.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 AM

924 posts, read 1,644,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes your right, I live in central Michigan and I think your wrong about the upper midwest. Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota are not all boring. Do we have some areas that are stereotypical midwest? yea of course we do. Im not denying that. There are lots of places in this part of the country however that are far from boring, like the Mackinaw area of Michigan, Door penisula of Wisconsin, Apostle Islands Wi, Sleeping bear sand dunes Mi, All of the upper penisula of Michigan, the arrowhead of Minnesota. Lake Michigans beaches are some of the nicest in the nation, although the water is cold. Most of the northern parts of all three states are covered in forrest, lakes and rivers. Much of it is wilderness. Not boring at all. There are hundreds of waterfalls in northern michigan alone. Wisconsin and Minnesota are similar. Im not doing any hometown rooting, this is truly an underated part of the country. Out in California people are taught to believe that the whole midwest is nothing but cornfield, dotted with a few rundown cities like Detroit or Milwalkee. The upper midwest may be the MOST underated part of the nation, since most people have absolutely no idea what is really here. Ive met people from other parts of the country, east coast, deep south, west coast who come here to visit and are shocked by the scenery. They had no idea. Take a trip to Upper Michigan and you will see what Im talking about.
We go to Michigan every other year or so because someone in our family owns a house on a lake. I definitely like it and I will give Michigan credit for having beautiful lakes. Where I live right now is as boring as the West pictures it, so maybe my view is jaded. However, I still think the Western states are overall more beautiful.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Massachusetts is quite beautiful.....

Plum Island

Gloucester

Western Mass

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
There's just something about New Mexico...

And those aren't really even good pics.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I think those are awesome pics! I'd love to go to NM!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Of the states I've been to, California. No contest.

The next contenders are Tennessee, Virginia and (this will surprise many of you) Mississippi.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Of the states I've been to, California. No contest.

The next contenders are Tennessee, Virginia and (this will surprise many of you) Mississippi.

Wow!!! that did surprise me!!! LOL

If I was a biased person, I'd choose my home state of West "by god" Virginia, but I'm not!

1-California
2-Colorado
3-Arizona
4-Morgantown-"if reffering to state of mind" LOL

Go EERs

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
Default Minnesota and Oregon!

For me hands down the most beautiful state is Oregon. However, I was born and raised in MN. I love this state with all of my heart. I love that I can find pristine creeks, lakes, and rivers everywhere. Here are some pictures of MN. They are not my pictures!
[IMG]http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Photography/Images/POD/b/boundary-wate
rs-77098-sw.jpg[/IMG]]http://www.kaxe.org/OurHistory/images/ItascaStatePark.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM

61 posts, read 111,988 times
I agree Bradly..Colorado for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.