Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 25,125 times

Advertisements

I need some ideas in selecting a new home for a job transfer that I am taking. Most likely a 2 year assignment.
Will be relaocting to the east coast. I have the ability to choose the Philly or Atlanta (possible Boston) area and can easliy fly in and out of.
My wife and I both like history,food and travel as hobbies.
We currently live in the Vancouver area on the ocean.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Well for history and food, Philadelphia has got Atlanta beat hands down. Philadelphia is one of our nation's oldest cities whereas Atlanta is a relatively new city that tends to favor the "knock down the old historical church and put up a Starbucks" approach which is prevalent all over the U.S. nowadays, although less so in Philadelphia. Food-wise, Philadelphia has a lot of regional cuisine and also a good amount of authentic ethnic fare (think New York-lite with the Italian restaurants, Greek diners, delis, etc.) whereas Atlanta sort of favors a more homogenized palate of chain restaurants with little remaining local identity. The once prevailing Southern culture, with the accent and the cuisine and such, has been steamrolled over in recent years by millions of transplants as the metro area sprawls outward in a series of subdivisions and strip malls at a mile a minute.

I also think that if you enjoy day trips, Philadelphia has more "day trip" potentials than Atlanta with Atlantic City, the Poconos, D.C., New York, and the Jersey Shore all within a few hours.

Now between Boston and Philadelphia, there's some good competition and comparison as far as history and food options go.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 PM

10 posts, read 25,125 times
I think your right about the day trips out of Philly.
So Boston or Philly.
If you had to pick a location to make your hub or home base for 2 years what do you think.
My wife is ashmatic, mostly triggered by grass and mold.
Any opinion on real estate values in these 2 areas? Are they acutally seeing a decline as we here in the news. Our property in Vancouver is still rising at +20% per year.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Well for history and food, Philadelphia has got Atlanta beat hands down. Philadelphia is one of our nation's oldest cities whereas Atlanta is a relatively new city that tends to favor the "knock down the old historical church and put up a Starbucks" approach which is prevalent all over the U.S. nowadays, although less so in Philadelphia. Food-wise, Philadelphia has a lot of regional cuisine and also a good amount of authentic ethnic fare (think New York-lite with the Italian restaurants, Greek diners, delis, etc.) whereas Atlanta sort of favors a more homogenized palate of chain restaurants with little remaining local identity. The once prevailing Southern culture, with the accent and the cuisine and such, has been steamrolled over in recent years by millions of transplants as the metro area sprawls outward in a series of subdivisions and strip malls at a mile a minute.

I also think that if you enjoy day trips, Philadelphia has more "day trip" potentials than Atlanta with Atlantic City, the Poconos, D.C., New York, and the Jersey Shore all within a few hours.
There is really no need to bad-mouth Atlanta while glorifying Philly. It sounds like bitter grapes, and I would venture to bet you're basing your opinion on things you've heard. Philadelphia is a great city with all it's history and cheesesteaks. So is Atlanta...there are great day trips to the Appalachians are less than an hour drive away...Asheville, Savannah, Charleston, and Orlando are an easy drive as is the Florida panhandle and the Gulf Coast. Even gambling is not that far away in Biloxi or Tunica...

Atlanta is much more than chain restaurants and strip malls. There is plenty of local culture and flavor...one place that comes to mind is a little rustic building across from Piedmont Park, Woody's, that has been serving fabulous cheesesteaks and subs for decades...

I don't need to bash the other cities to try and make Atlanta look better. All anyone has to do is look at the huge increase in population and I doubt they're moving to be near a Chilli's.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,854 times
I wouldn't rule out Atlanta's role in history; I have found Atlanta's history in the Civil War to be quite interesting. Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is one place that comes to mind.

I think all 3 places you have mentioned have great opportunities for day trips. The Smokey Mountains aren't too far away from Atlanta. The nice thing about Atlanta is that we can take road trips in the winter and not have to worry as much about winter weather driving (for the most part).

Regarding property values, they really haven't gone up much around Atlanta. There are tons of homes available, and they are relatively cheap. That's a great thing when purchasing a home, but if you are going to have to sell it two years later, I would have concerns about it. Your home could sit on the market for quite a while. I can't speak for the Boston or Philly market.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Default I vote for Boston

If your wife has allergy problems you might consider living on the South or North shore of Boston. Less trees and cleaner air. I can't advise on the other two cities but can on Boston. Great food,history,culture,transportation system,schools, and talk about great day trips! Loved going to Maine for the day to have lobster for lunch in about 2 hrs. Marblehead,Swampscott,Hingham,Duxbury,Marshfield,M anchester by the Sea....all on the coast with good schools, if that matters, and transportation to Boston not to mention close to Logan Airport.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
I think your right about the day trips out of Philly.
So Boston or Philly.
If you had to pick a location to make your hub or home base for 2 years what do you think.
My wife is ashmatic, mostly triggered by grass and mold.
Any opinion on real estate values in these 2 areas? Are they acutally seeing a decline as we here in the news. Our property in Vancouver is still rising at +20% per year.
Thanks for your reply.
If your wife is asthmatic, I would go with Boston. Philly has a high asthma rate (as do the surrounding burbs).

Old 01-31-2007, 11:31 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default I would not put Boston so high

First of all the air is not going to be that clean no matter what general area you are in eastern MA. Going to get a high pollen count for way too much of the year. Not a great place if you have any type of breathing problems, you will have pollution. Summers can be miserable, same even up in places like in ME, or RI, etc. Humidity can be worse than the southern USA. Most days of the year are not all that enjoyable weather wise.

Boston can be a little tolerable if you don't have to be a legal resident. More like some type of visitor and don't have to be empacked by all the stupid rules of living in MA. You can have fun if you don't have live like a normal wage slave person.

Also fully understand the crime situation in Boston, plus all of New England. Lots of twists to being unsafe. I know from long experience. Lots of both major and very petty crime. Lots of very underaged gangs. Lot more drugs than they ever will admit.

Plus you really do have to factor in the traffic situation in the Boston area, some days, just about impossible and not in just the downtown areas.

I might just stay in Vancouver, none of those three cities would have much appeal for me. Depends on what your durthers really are and how much you want to tolerate?? Boston can get old very quick, especially if you have to deal with the daily hassles of life as presented in MA. Your typical zoo in its present sense. You are 30 years too late to really enjoy Boston.

Both Boston and Philly are very dense cities, even in their outer rings, both probably have been badly affected by the last building boom. The Boston population has been badly affect by illegals of every type. Altanta might have some better sections, again that traffic in many places would put me up a tree. A lot depends on what you will be affected on a daily basis, will you be a normal commuter and in the normal rat pack??? I hate and avoid dense cities like the plague, they all have a lot of the same factors that make daily life not very enjoyable, not my cup of tea if you have to live a normal life.

If I was only going to be in any of those places for 2 years, sure would not plan on buying a house, might never claim to be a legal resident if I could avoid it. Might structure it so I could go back to Vancouver. I never would buy into that idea of living in the burbs is "Experiencing Boston". Experiencing Boston is getting lost a lot, probably getting your car stolen and all of the rest of those lovely situations, including maybe being mugged in some very unexpected places. Boston is so much more than the tourist drivel, you do have to be careful. Probably like most big cities these days. If I really wanted a change of pace, would go live in San Francisco for a while.

I've been to Vancouver on visits. I would not trade it for any of the three mentioned cities today. Go to them like a tourist, see the sites and then get out of town quick. Boston sure ain't cheap, even as a tourist.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
First of all the air is not going to be that clean no matter what general area you are in eastern MA. Going to get a high pollen count for way too much of the year. Not a great place if you have any type of breathing problems, you will have pollution. Summers can be miserable, same even up in places like in ME, or RI, etc. Humidity can be worse than the southern USA. Most days of the year are not all that enjoyable weather wise.

Boston can be a little tolerable if you don't have to be a legal resident. More like some type of visitor and don't have to be empacked by all the stupid rules of living in MA. You can have fun if you don't have live like a normal wage slave person.

Also fully understand the crime situation in Boston, plus all of New England. Lots of twists to being unsafe. I know from long experience. Lots of both major and very petty crime. Lots of very underaged gangs. Lot more drugs than they ever will admit.

Plus you really do have to factor in the traffic situation in the Boston area, some days, just about impossible and not in just the downtown areas.

I might just stay in Vancouver, none of those three cities would have much appeal for me. Depends on what your durthers really are and how much you want to tolerate?? Boston can get old very quick, especially if you have to deal with the daily hassles of life as presented in MA. Your typical zoo in its present sense. You are 30 years too late to really enjoy Boston.

Both Boston and Philly are very dense cities, even in their outer rings, both probably have been badly affected by the last building boom. The Boston population has been badly affect by illegals of every type. Altanta might have some better sections, again that traffic in many places would put me up a tree. A lot depends on what you will be affected on a daily basis, will you be a normal commuter and in the normal rat pack??? I hate and avoid dense cities like the plague, they all have a lot of the same factors that make daily life not very enjoyable, not my cup of tea if you have to live a normal life.

If I was only going to be in any of those places for 2 years, sure would not plan on buying a house, might never claim to be a legal resident if I could avoid it. Might structure it so I could go back to Vancouver. I never would buy into that idea of living in the burbs is "Experiencing Boston". Experiencing Boston is getting lost a lot, probably getting your car stolen and all of the rest of those lovely situations, including maybe being mugged in some very unexpected places. Boston is so much more than the tourist drivel, you do have to be careful. Probably like most big cities these days. If I really wanted a change of pace, would go live in San Francisco for a while.

I've been to Vancouver on visits. I would not trade it for any of the three mentioned cities today. Go to them like a tourist, see the sites and then get out of town quick. Boston sure ain't cheap, even as a tourist.
Sounds ALOT like Philly!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
I'd vote for Atlanta. More affordable, larger airport, better economy, better weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.