Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! Are you just begging me to wipe the floor with you?
For the love of God, please drive that vermin back under his rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM

304 posts, read 904,912 times
Don't worry....the Midwest is still the least desireable part of the country unless your a pasty,husky "meat and potato" kind of person..eww

they have no room to talk bad about the south. At least you guys have Florida

Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogues View Post
Just in terms of climate and weather patterns, I find it funny that everyone tends to gang up on the Sunbelt & the South, yet the western edge of the Rustbelt sits on the New Madrid fault line, the Midwest has larger swings in temperature, not to mention has more events and different types of severe weather than any other region. Same can be said for the Northeast, but nobody cares about the Northeast anymore, and it's the Midwest who largely seems to have a problem with the South.

Just in terms of social patterns, I find it funny how everyone gangs up on the South, yet tends to look at their own non-Southern linguistic patterns and social norms as vastly superior -- as if it's a proven fact. I like how people move to the South and expect things to be from wherever non-South they come from, and are surprised and become bitter when things aren't exactly what they picture it to be in their self-important minds.

Just in general, I find it funny how those from the Midwest/Rust Belt are incredibly jealous of the fact that most of the population and the prosperity has moved South, and how they have to find any semblance of credibility(having the Great Lakes in the case of "global warming", having "real" cites, not being the "Bible Belt", not being pretentiously "cosmopoiltan, or "cultured" enough, whatever all that is supposed to mean...) to justify their bitter beliefs. I find it funny how people call the South "backwards", when they resort to childish name-calling, segregating, stereotyping, still living in a mindset when the Midwest/Rust Belt was prominent(which was over 30 years ago),and bringing up a conflict that happened over 130 years ago to justify their bitter beliefs. I find it funny how the Midwest hates the region that is most similar to them.
Bizarre post, not really sure where you're getting all this from. I think it's actually the exact opposite though, right? The South/West seem to be harassing the Midwest about being flat, boring, rust belt and bad weather.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogues View Post
Just in general, I find it funny how those from the Midwest/Rust Belt are incredibly jealous of the fact that most of the population and the prosperity has moved South, and how they have to find any semblance of credibility(having the Great Lakes in the case of "global warming", having "real" cites, not being the "Bible Belt", not being pretentiously "cosmopoiltan, or "cultured" enough, whatever all that is supposed to mean...) to justify their bitter beliefs. I find it funny how people call the South "backwards", when they resort to childish name-calling, segregating, stereotyping, still living in a mindset when the Midwest/Rust Belt was prominent(which was over 30 years ago),and bringing up a conflict that happened over 130 years ago to justify their bitter beliefs. I find it funny how the Midwest hates the region that is most similar to them.
I moved from the south to Minneapolis and I have yet to meet someone who is "jealous" of southern cities. I visit Chicago often have met more people that seem to have an issue with the Twin Cities more than southern cities. Other than a few who visit sites such as this one, I doubt many care as most people don't have enough time to be jealous of a particular region.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
Don't worry....the Midwest is still the least desireable part of the country unless your a pasty,husky "meat and potato" kind of person..eww

And the west is full of dropout, dope smokin, illegal, braindead, valley girls/pretty boys who cant even spell their own names. eww

And those "husky meat and potato" people would kick the living SH** out of you if they caught your Lacoste wearing a$$ out here spouting that crap.

I thought I told you to jump off a cliff awhile back. Have you not found one yet, or do you not know what a cliff is? Here, this should help you out, Captain California:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff

Keep talking crap about the Midwest.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Bizarre post, not really sure where you're getting all this from. I think it's actually the exact opposite though, right? The South/West seem to be harassing the Midwest about being flat, boring, rust belt and bad weather.
Actually everyone is harassing everyone it would seem. I can agree that there are a number of folks in the economically-ravaged Rust Belt cities of the Northeast and Upper Midwest who do look down upon those who have moved South. I consider many of these folks to have "abandonment" issues. Why? Well, many in my area become "half-backs." They grow up in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, hear from person after person how "awful" our quality-of-life is, and then take the first ticket "out of this hell hole" WITHOUT doing adequate research to ensure that their new home isn't even worse than their former home. When they arrive in the sunny Valhalla of South Florida they realize that it's not all that it's cracked up to be with a lot of problems of its own (illegal immigration, bi-lingual population, violent crime, humidity, hurricanes, urban sprawl, etc.), but being too proud to move back to PA with their tails between their legs they instead move "half back" to North Carolina so they don't have to eat crow.

In similar fashion a lot of people on the West Coast beat their chests and call themselves the "Best Coast." A lot of people in Phoenix defend themselves by saying "well, if everyone is moving here, then obviously we're an awesome place to live, right?" A lot of people in Sunbelt cities lambaste friends/family who continue to "languish" in the "dying North" for not coming to their senses and joining them in the South.

Say what you will about the dearth of economic opportunities in places such as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse, Erie, Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, Pittsburgh, etc., but the history that oozes out of every pore of each and every one of these great American cities can't be rivaled by the Sunbelt. Show me one neighborhood in Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Oklahoma City that can rival the beauty of a block of ornate Victorian mansions in Scranton along a tree-lined street.

Are those of us in the Rust Belt somewhat bitter? Yes. Are we uptight? Yes. Are we fast-paced? Yes. However, I'd take the harsh winters and the economic whiners (who ironically smoke two packs a day and buy a six-pack daily, but I digress) anyday over having to live in a place like Apex, NC on a sterile cul-de-sac in a treeless subdivision without sidewalks where residents do nothing but pat themselves on the back for how successful they are.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:

LOL! This coming from someone in LA.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL! This coming from someone in LA.
That guy has tons of people pissed off on these boards, trust me. All he does is make derogatory remarks about everyone outside of California, he should have been banned long ago.

But calling us "pasty", etc, is just more fuel for the fire.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:

I'm from the heart of the Midwest and you can have Florida. You couldn't pay me to live there with all the heat, humidity, bugs, illegals and crime. Same goes for California. I'll take our cold and snowy winters anyday. With all the problems California has, you guys are in NO position to point fingers or talk **it!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM

51 posts, read 144,732 times
Default Ignorance/ prejudice toward the South explained

I've traveled extensively through the South and loved it. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

However, time and fate made me live mostly up North: IA, MN, WA, IL; but also FL as a teen.

Basically, there is a sort of "Iron Curtain" that exists between the North and South. I remember delivering a lecture at a camp in WA State about the South. The room was packed. Although the most extreme stereotypes of the South exist there, everyone was curious as to what the "real" South was like. The audience was enthralled.

This ignorance is a carryover from Civil War days, actually. There is also ignorance of the South toward the North, mind you. As I say, I've been in both areas extensively, but personally I prefer the South.

There exists as great a cultural divide today, North vs. South, Blue vs. Red, as existed in 1865, in the late 1960s, as now.

Northerners would be surprised and even shocked to find that The South is probably more developed and "ahead" than the North. To wit: more motels, cooler radio stations, more restaurants, and prettier scenery (in my opinion; at least in certain areas).

There is also an envy (unspoken) of the North toward the South. The envy has to do with in-migration, the climate, and so forth.

People in WA State thought The South basically was bullwhips, chain gangs, trailer trash............you know the litany. And this is current, mind you. They had no idea.

What do I like about the South? The above mentioned positive things (stated earlier), the climate, the pines, the thunderstorms, the iced tea, the great people.

I miss The South. But, as I say, fate and circumstance forces me to live North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.