Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 PM

208 posts, read 605,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Mid-Atlantic is NOT a subset of the Northeast. There are many times Virginia and North Carolina are considered Mid-Atlantic states. They are not in the Northeast. History should tell you that.

Maryland and Delaware are states in the transition zone. There are areas of both states that have more northern traits than southern. For Maryland that would include western Maryland and the Baltimore area. For Delaware that would include most places north of Dover. These states are odd in that you can go for one city to another and feel like you're in a completely different region. Traveling from Montgomery County into Prince George's County feels like going from the north to the south, traveling from Annapolis to the Eastern Shore feels like going from the north to the south, and traveling from Wilmington to Georgetown feels like going from the north into the south.
I get that feeling of a transition zone in West Virginia too. For instance, from Clarksburg northward to the northern panhandle, feels different from the southern parts of the state. The southern parts of West Virginia are very similiar to eastern Kentucky and southwestern Virginia, where I have family. Northern West Virginia feels and looks more like eastern Ohio and southwestern Pennsylvania. Although one thing is similar across the whole state of West Virginia (and most of PA, KY, VA, and TN): the ties to the Appalachian Mountains. But West Virginia is generally grouped with the southern states most of the time.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
I have been to Baltimore...no way it has a southern feel at all. I knew a couple from Maryland that claimed it was the south, but they sounded very Northeastern (and yes, I know what Yankee talk sounds like cause I lived in Boston for a while) to my ear being from Oklahoma and Texas.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:43 PM

214 posts, read 427,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
what? and really? I hope you're not from Maryland calling other people hillbillies. Been to Western Maryland in a while?
no but dats a point im trying 2 make dats maryland is mostly southern to the heart like any other southern state

Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 PM

214 posts, read 427,255 times
Quote:
Mid-Atlantic is NOT a subset of the Northeast. There are many times Virginia and North Carolina are considered Mid-Atlantic states. They are not in the Northeast. History should tell you that.

Maryland and Delaware are states in the transition zone. There are areas of both states that have more northern traits than southern. For Maryland that would include western Maryland and the Baltimore area. For Delaware that would include most places north of Dover. These states are odd in that you can go for one city to another and feel like you're in a completely different region. Traveling from Montgomery County into Prince George's County feels like going from the north to the south, traveling from Annapolis to the Eastern Shore feels like going from the north to the south, and traveling from Wilmington to Georgetown feels like going from the north into the south.

I don't see why so many people from the region vehemently deny their history as being part of the South. I see many posts where people try to put DC in the same category as Philadelphia, NY, and Boston. DC is nothing like those three cities. As few as 20 or 30 years ago there would be no question about DC, Maryland and Delaware being southern.
point well said

Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 AM

416 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:

I don't see why so many people from the region vehemently deny their history as being part of the South. I see many posts where people try to put DC in the same category as Philadelphia, NY, and Boston. DC is nothing like those three cities. As few as 20 or 30 years ago there would be no question about DC, Maryland and Delaware being southern.
North Carolina a Mid-Atlantic state? Who has EVER said that?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
North Carolina a Mid-Atlantic state? Who has EVER said that?
I have seen it on the Weather channel.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
On I-95, there's a bump in the road, somewhere around Fredericksburg, Virginia. If you're headed north the road gets smooth, and suddenly those tall lights on the highway appear. That's where the north starts.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
This is a tough question, and could be debated forever.

If it has to be one or the other, I would say North.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,949 times
Default Maryland is a Southern state

It is a very easy question that most people don't know.
Maryland is a southern state due to the fact that it is south of the Mason Dixon line. Del. is as well but always sided with the North during the Civil War. Maryland was the FIRST State to fall to the
North during the Civil War

Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Being from St. Mary's County, I completely understand why you would think its southern, becasue you're from a southern County in Maryland. Im from a northern County in Maryland. Even way back in the civil war, familes and friends were divided on the subject of who they were with. BTW, the transition zone statement is very right actually (a few pages back)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.