Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times

Advertisements

Okay, lets try this again. I couldn't fix the format for my earlier post so I thought I would start anew.

I am preparing to move in the next year or so. I want to move from the area I live (mostly rural) to a more urban area. I am a lawyer who wants to continue the practice of law, in particular would like to work in a Federal or State prosecutor's office. I have prepared a list of factors to look at for the cities I am looking at moving to.

Cultural and Historical attractions
Well kept downtown, but also with an attractive countryside surrounding the city
A good public library system and school system, including higher education
An active arts scene
Good infrastructure and public transit
A collegial legal community
Accessible to transportation networks (rail and air)
A temperate to warm climate/ mild winters
Reasonable commute
Cost of living with affordable housing
A well rounded media scene (newspapers/TV stations/radio stations)
Nearby opportunities for hiking and outdoor recreation
A tradition of community service and involvement
A good system of health care establishments
Professional sports of some kind (preferably minor league baseball)
Southern/Southwestern/Northwestern
Well rounded social scene (I'm not talking dating scene here, well not entirely, but having a wide variety of events to attend and participate in)

I would appreciate the thoughts of everyone as to the factors and what cities you think meet them.

Some of the cities I have thought about
Louisville, KY
Lexington, KY
Knoxville, TN
Nashville, TN
Asheville, NC
Charlotte, NC
Atlanta, GA
Augusta, GA
Columbus, GA
Athens, GA
Austin, TX
Las Vegas, NV
Eugene, OR
Roanoke, VA
Richmond, VA
Norfolk, VA

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:16 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Well I posted on the other thread already but some new things have popped into my head now that the format is better. Some people will call me crazy, but maybe Paducah, KY First of all I know there is a historic sense to the area as well as much nearby recreation. Cost of living is not to steep so my relatives say. I would also guess you could get yourself a nice job as a lawyer. Taking into affect that there should be a DA's office in the town. And don't forget this is also prison country, especially in nearby Illinois I would assume they need attorneys.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
May I suggest Washington DC... The first thing that came to my mind...

Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Or a suburb of DC - Frederick for example

Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Some more cities that have made the list

Yakima Washington
Johnson City Tennessee (Tri-Cities area of Tennessee/Virginia)
Portland Oregon
Salem Oregon

Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
You may want to consider Corvallis, Oregon as it has many of the things you want. Oregon State University is there.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Some more cities that have made the list

Yakima Washington
Johnson City Tennessee (Tri-Cities area of Tennessee/Virginia)
Portland Oregon
Salem Oregon
Based on all the info given, I am coming to the conclusion that the PNW is the best for you, and is what your leaning towards. I have been to Salem, OR more then once. I won't lie it is a great area, but I think there are some "semi-rough" areas in the actual city. Of course, it's not only the state Capitol but also has a great culture scene. It is near Portland, and recreation on the coast as well as the Cascades. I would expect some great government related job positions.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Based on all the info given, I am coming to the conclusion that the PNW is the best for you, and is what your leaning towards. I have been to Salem, OR more then once. I won't lie it is a great area, but I think there are some "semi-rough" areas in the actual city. Of course, it's not only the state Capitol but also has a great culture scene. It is near Portland, and recreation on the coast as well as the Cascades. I would expect some great government related job positions.
I must admit I been pleasantly surprised about the PNW. Course the problem I have discovered that I would have to take the Oregon Bar. Taking the Bar exam an additional time is nothing something any attorney looks forward to.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:01 PM

I've been looking at PNW. Sadly, it looks from what I can gather that the Oregon Legal Community is tough for outsiders to break into. Looks like when it comes to the PNW, it will be Washington to look at. In the meantime, the Southeast still is the home of many potentials places to move to.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I must admit I been pleasantly surprised about the PNW. Course the problem I have discovered that I would have to take the Oregon Bar. Taking the Bar exam an additional time is nothing something any attorney looks forward to.
The PNW is great if you can stand months on end of dull, dreary, wet days and slightly cooler summers. Personally I find it depressing despite the great things it has going for it, but that's just me (I love sun and blue skies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.