Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

This is not a bash Omaha kinda thing, I really want to know which city has more to offer and keep you busy, What are some of the things to see and do in these cities?

I was looking on a site and noticed that the airfare was cheap to these 3 cities, so Im just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
If you like Sports, particually Hockey and/or College Football/Basketball, Raleigh has that. You could also visit the NC Capital building, and some museums.
I cant comment on Omaha or Birmingham, never been to either.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
Birmingham is great (haven't been to Ohama or Raleigh so I can't really comment.) I visit B'Ham at least once a year to be with family. One word of advice if you go there- avoid the weekend of the Auburn/Alabama game, trust me.

If you go, you have to visit the Vulcan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_statue

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,130 times
I've been waiting for this.....

Omaha has a world class zoo, and shopping districts. The Old Market has a great collection of shops and resteraunts in a vibrant downtown location, and if you plan it right, you might be able to take in a show, whether it's a top rate show in the Holland Performing Arts Center, or a sports event or celebrity appearance at the Qwest Center Omaha, its tough to come to town when something isn't going on. If you are into the art scene, you can pop into the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts which is home to some of the country's leading edge artists and their work, or the Joslyn Art museum for a look at the classics. If you're a fan of Indie music, Omaha is home to SaddleCreek Records and the Slowdown is a sure place to stop for live performances. Slowdown is only a block away from Omaha's "Filmstreams" Movie theater that shows independant and foreign films. If you like sporting events, you could take in a game of any kind depending on the time of year! If you're looking for almost anything you can find it in Omaha with the friendly attidute that our city is famous for. Glad you're considering a visit, and we hope to see you soon!

(photo courtesy of DTO_Luv)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
Are you personally considering going to these 3 cities?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Are you personally considering going to these 3 cities?

Well I had purchased some plane tickets to Phoenix a few months back and I just didnt feel like going when the time came so I cancelled the flight, so I still have the tickets and I have to use them by Feb. so I was thinking of just taking off somewhere for a couple days to use them and the 3 cities I listed were the cheapest besides the same ol cities that are near here that Ive been to many times, I wanna see something differernt.

thanks for all the replies so far, anymore?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 AM

541 posts, read 556,237 times
I can't comment on Raleigh and Omaha, but here's a few things you might want to look at in Birmingham:

Free:
Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark - I loved the tour, but you have to book a tour guide two weeks in advance.
Birmingham Museum of Art Homepage: News & Upcoming Events
Birmingham Botanical Gardens

Pseudo Free
Vulcan Park - Home - the museum costs money, but that's not why most people go there (Great view).
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute Online - it's free on Sundays (otherwise $10 for adults, $4 for college, 17 and under free)

Costs Money:
Birmingham Zoo - Home - $12/7 (Adults/children 12&under or seniors)
McWane Science Center (13-64 $11.00, 2-12 & 65+ $8.00, 2 & under free)
Welcome ($3.00 per person tour, $2.00 otherwise; seemed kinda small, but a tour is worth it, assuming you had a guide like I had)
Welcome to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum! ($15 12+, $10 4-12, free for younger) out of the way, but totally worth it; I don't even like motorcycles

Then there's local stuff like a Baron's game, a concert in Workplay, Mountain Brook and Homewood villages or local food (which is highly praised).

Granted, this list is only of attractions I would hang out at as a local. Sorry for the short list, I kinda have class

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,832 times
I think you could have a great time in Omaha. When are you planning on coming? Their might be some special things going on depending on when you plan to visit.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,832 times
One new thing to see is the new Kerrey Bridge which just opened a few weeks ago. It has been very popular and offers a great view of the skyline and the Missouri River.

I think just Downtown in general you will find lots too do. There are many different hotels off all types with their own different vibes. I would recommend the Magnolia Hotel. It's a great place and their are only 4 others in the country.

The Old Market is the main hub of activity Downtown. It's full of restaurants, bars, clubs, and unique shops offering clothes, jewelery, and all kinds of art. I'm friends with a couple of bars owners so if you give me a heads up I can hook you up when you get here. They love to show off the city to visitors.

The Joslyn Museum has free admission Saturday mornings before noon. It's a beautiful building and has a great collection of American art and there is always a traveling exhibit to take in. There are also quite a few free local artists exhibits Downtown featuring locals and national artists. The Hot Shops in North Downtown have public viewings from time to time.

Downtown is also full of parks that are all connected with trails bridges and walkways that lead all the way from the CBD to the river and over to Iowa. There are lagoons with fountains and it makes for a very scenic walk around Downtown. You can also take a horse drawn carriage ride too.

I can't recommend the zoo enough. It's consistanly rated one of the top zoos in the country, usually behind or ahead of the San Diego Zoo.

If you give us some sort of idea of what you like to do that may help as to what we suggest.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Personnally, and nothing against Omaha or Birmingham; but I would go to Raliegh and not really consider the other places. I am not interested in Omaha's zoo and I have been to Birmingham. Raliegh has more to offer in terms of things I am interested in. I like touring college campuses, and Raliegh is close to several. Plus, they have the NHL and some museums. I am pretty easily entertained otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.