Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:41 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times

Advertisements

I'll start off:

Wilshire Vista, Los Angeles:

Pros: LOCATION! (5 minutes to Beverly Hills, 7 minutes to the Grove,10 minutes to Melrose ,15 minutes to Downtown, 15 minutes to Hollywood), Architecture; a preponderance of lovely restored 1920's Spanish Revival homes, Diversity; a smorgasbord of Whites (European whites, too), Blacks and a handful of Asians living in harmony-lots of interracial couples,too, the lush foliage (tree-lined streets are in abundance), very tranquil in nature (one of the quietest hoods I know of), cleanliness (none of the vermin that is graffiti or rubbish in the streets), the profound interest in the neighborhood taken up by the citizens (lots of carnivals, fundraisers, meetings, etc), lots of cute boutiques and eateries (a rather "natural" revitalization is going on; tons of little cafes and clothing stores are springing everywhere).

Cons: No good mass transit (although, for one lacking a car, the Metro Rapid bus lines 720/728 do a decent job), no stop signs at several intersections (people run right through them; poses a great hazard!), too many people walking their dogs now lol, Pico Blvd serves as a border between the good and the bad (it's really skeevy south of Pico), some nasty auto body shops on Pico (brings down the beauty), rich people are moving in from richer locales and destroying the fragile upper middle class balance (as well as other residents, such as long-time Blacks, etc) + opening up some places that totally do not fit in the neighborhood.

Here are some photos of my neighborhood (if possible, please post several pictures of your 'hood-no more than 5):

(all taken by me)

Everyone is encouraged to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Harvey, IL: suburb of Chicago

Pros: Mexican food, easy access to the Metra train to go to downtown Chicago, affordable and cheap, some diversity, close to nearby shopping malls.

Cons: High crime rate, poverty/run down, homeless begging for money, gangs( ex. Gangster Disciples, Black P. Stones, Latin Kings), some graffitti, and lack of retail/businesses. Basically its a ghetto suburb.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-26-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 04:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Bridesburg: A 'hood in Philadelphia

Pros: Hmm...well uhh...there's maybe less violent crime than some other parts of the city.

Cons: Mostly loud,uncultured types.

YouTube - Linda at Ozzies Bridesburg

Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Del Lago: Mission Viejo, CA (suburban Orange County)

Pros: Voted safest city in USA, super clean, excellent weather, close community where there are street fairs, team building events, concerts, games, children groups, etc..., very good schools, just 20 minutes to the beach, beautiful Lake Mission Viejo in city center, excellent city facilities, decent job opps, close enough to Los Angeles and San Diego.

Cons: Rolling hills and canyons make you need and want a car, Metrolink could be more frequent, fire dangers for homes backing to hills, everybody is sort of the same (not much diversity), needing to drive kids everywhere, bad traffic on streets leading to freeway.

Lake Mission Viejo: A haven for fishing, boating, kayaking, wind surfing, sailing, swimming, parties, and more. It is a gorgeous site with stunning homes along the water and Saddleback Mountain as a back drop.

There are parks everywhere. This is Florence Joyner Olympic Park, dedicated to the amazing female gold medal track athlete known as Flo Jo who was a MV resident and suddenly passed away in her Canyon Crest home located above the park.

Concert on the Lake events are a great community activity during summer

Mission Viejo homes on the right, adjacent to Oneil Regional Park.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM

143 posts, read 290,293 times
Neighborhood: Lakeview in Chicago. North side neighborhood that is home to Wrigley Field, Boystown, and great access to the Lake via Belmont Harbor.

Lakeview, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pros:
- One of the most walkable neighborhoods in city, my address scored 98% on the walkability website. Can walk to ANYTHING I need from my address...no exageration.
- AMAZING public transportation, I have access to 5 major bus routes and 3 el trains on my block...no need for car!
- TONS to do: Wrigleyville bars, Boystown bars, Clark/Belmont boutique shopping, multiple theatres (including where Blue Man Group performs), restaurants from every continent within walking distance
- Wrigley Field
- The Lake/Belmont Harbor - not as crowded as Lincoln Park or North Ave. Beach and some specatular views of the city.
- Not as expensive as Lincoln Park/Gold Coast and not as pretenous as Wicker Park/Bucktown
- Relatively safe and clean city neighboorhood - never any really violent crimes

Cons:
- No parking...especially not fun when you have to ram car into snow mound in winter
- lots of loud drunks who like to ring doorbells in middle of night
- lots of loud suburbanite drunks going to a cubs game, going to see Blue Man Group, etc...

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Ehh...Las Colinas, In Irving TX...
None of these pictures are actually mine...
Pro: It's nice...relatively new area.
Its Diverse, this area is full of Hispanics, Africans(like recently coming from Africa), Koreans, and South Asians(IE: Pakis, Indians, Bangladeshis)
uhh..its everything you would expect...sort of
Not very prone to flooding
Cons:
The pictures make it look WAYYY more glamorous, we're still sprawlly...
but still very nice, and you can live in an urban setting...obviously, as shown bellow.
uhh...We have some lower class areas? like apartments. But this isn't really a con...more like a plus.
It gets hot? like the rest of Texas???

IDK, i generally content with the area.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Mansiondelascolinas.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/P9170044-northirving.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by CMDallas; 10-26-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
SouthWest Lexington
Pros
- lots of shopping, very low crime,
- just a stones throw from horse farms, tree/ stone fence lined roads

Cons
- traffic is AWFUL (esp. near Fayette Mall)
- a little on the uppity side for my tastes

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091808.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091938.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091916.jpg (broken link)

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091919.jpg (broken link)

Country Road just 1/2 mile from the edge of the city
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091796.jpg (broken link)

A pre Civil War estate house now engulfed by the city
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/13091950.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Jewel Lake, Anchorage

Pro's: Lots of lakes in the neighborhood. Lots of moose. Kincaid Park, 5 minutes to work, HS 3 blocks away. Alaska.

Con's: Lots of moose dropping piles of moose pellets for me to pick up in the spring, mosquitos in summer (lots of water in the neighborhood), bears wandering through Kincaid park in spring get hungry and raid garbage cans. 3 blocks to the school, and HS students take the trail behind the house as a short cut. Winter is dark and long.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Uptown Houston

Pros: Great shopping and dining walking distance from my apartment.

Cons: Very bad traffic.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Penryn, CA(a rural suburb of Sacramento)

pros: If you are into the rural lifestyle its great, commuteable to Sacramento, beautiful rolling hills, good schools

cons: expensive real estate, extremeley boring, way too conservative for me, very car dependent, lack of diversity

can't wait to leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.