Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE IS THE BEST TO LIVE IN?
SAN FRANCISCO 19 29.23%
LA 21 32.31%
SAN DIEGO 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 55,923 times

Advertisements

I love big cities and I'd like to move to CA in a few years but I can't choose which one! so please help me!

which one is the nicest, most friendly, best to meet new people, has the best nightlife, is the best to swim/surf in the Ocean, easiest to settle in?

I love SF but I know the weather is not as good as the others.
I like LA but I wonder if it's not only a good place to visit and not such a good place to live in.
I've never been to SD. People say it's a cool place with very nice pple and a beautiful place. But it seems that in SD u don't have the impression of being in a big city (even if U are!) and I like the 'big city mood'^^!

So , which one...? Please HELP^^!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
I picked San Diego

I used to live there and didn't like it very much but recently visited and liked it better. I know now that I had picked the wrong area to live in there before. SD is the only one of the 3 that is relaxed and laid back and although there are many illegals and tons of forclosures there it is way better than the other 2.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
I've lived in all three. They are very different. LA has the best "club/flashy" nightlife. SF has the best sophisticated nightlife. SD isn't in the same category as SF or LA in terms of nightlife. They are all good places to meet new people, but each has a larger concentration of certain types- SF has the highest concentration of intellectuals, LA has the highest concentration of flashy types, and San Diego has the highest concentration of surfers and conservatives. For a single person, I'd recommend SF or LA depending upon your interests and industry. If you are married and want to raise your kids in a more "normal" place, I'd recommend San Diego. I prefer San Diego, but that is largely b/c I'm married and not interested in nightlife all that much.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
SiliconValley (not SF)...for lucrative career opportunities and high daily QOL (and LA-like weather)....superb place to raise kids (if that's relevant)

After making some bucks, would get a wkend place or retire to LA's Westside for play

Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
SiliconValley (not SF)...for lucrative career opportunities and high daily QOL (and LA-like weather)....superb place to raise kids (if that's relevant)

After making some bucks, would get a wkend place or retire to LA's Westside for play
Silicon Valley does not have LA like weather. Nor would I call it a great place to raise kids.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Nor would I call it a great place to raise kids.
Yo, Dog, you is wack, G. Stop frontin', fool dog.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yo, Dog, you is wack, G. Stop frontin', fool dog.
Translation please?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
None of the above

Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
For what you are looking for I'd say LA or San Diego best fits your needs mainly just for the ocean swimming/surfing thing. I think all 3 cities fit your criteria to a certain degree except for SF with the ocean. It is VERY cold year round along the Northern CA coast in the water and the air temp seldom goes above 65-70, even in summer. The water can also be very dangerous with rip currents and such, much more so than SoCal. Southern Ca is the only place in CA you can swim in the water comfortably without a wetsuit, during summer at least.

CA has plenty of nice people and also some crappy people, really hard to generalize b/c there are just too many people overall. I grew up in the Bay Area and have lived in San Diego for over 7 years. Overall I think San Diegan's are a little friendlier and outgoing than the Bay Area but overall the Bay Area has great, down to earth, nice people too. LA is hit or miss, I've met great, friendly people there but also a bunch of rude douchebags. The people aren't as bad as some make them out to be but stereotypes do exist for a reason, and that goes with all of CA and not just LA. I think all three come about even when it comes to meeting new people, its pretty much what you make of it.

Nightlife is probably best in LA, but SD and SF aren't lacking in that department by any means either. Either three will satisfy most people, if you need to poshest and most upscale scene then go with LA.

San Diego has been described as a big city with a small town feel and that is true to a certain extent, but I've grown to like and appreciate that about it. So you are somewhat correct in that assessment but its by no means small town USA/Mayberry or anything, we still get all the big events, concerts, professional sports, etc.... I find there is plenty to do and going on year round but overall LA and SF are much bigger, more cosmopolitan cities. So if you like the craziness and all the bustle that comes with living in a big city then SF or LA is better for that.

The easiest to move to and settle in would be San Diego imo, partly b/c it doesn't have all the big city BS problems that SF and LA face more so; less crime, traffic, pollution, crowding, etc..It's much cheaper than either of those too, especially SF and you get more for your money in a better location than either SF or LA. Finding an apartment is very hard in SF. The only thing that SD lags on with respect to getting settled in is job opportunities, they are better in LA and SF overall but if you already have one lined up or going to school then you're fine.

If the ocean and weather is important I'd rule out SF unless you really crave that dense, urban vibe of the city. It kind of makes up for the crappy weather and cold ocean. I'd go with SD over LA unless you want that big, cosmopolitan worldly city atmosphere.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
None of the above
gee, what great insight and so helpful too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.