Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that the USA will ever convert to the metric system?
Yes, by next couple of years 6 10.53%
Yes, but after 10 or more years 6 10.53%
Nah, we always stay with imperial system 31 54.39%
Nah not 100% metric, but including both units on everything 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM

142 posts, read 212,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
My gosh this must be the 100th post this guy has done about the metric system.

Oh wait, that's "100" posts using the imperial system, I guess that would be 167 posts using the metric system.
Actually it's my first post. I didn't know someone talked about metric before

Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
The USA WILL NEVER CONVERT TO THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok?
You don't have to scream and yell at me. I was asking a question, and didn't say that the USA have to convert, just asking question. OK?
As a moderator, I don't expect you to scream with other members, you should be happy, and positive.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
…unless Obama is elected! This is one of the changes he's been talking about for the last couple of years.
WHAT does Obama want to change to metric?? If he wants to, I'm gonna pray to God that he's gonna be elected!!!

GO OBAMA!!! GO METRIC!!!! GO OBAMAAAAAAAAA

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I wondered how long it would take before you started this again. From North NJ (ring a bell, like another user ID), posts about Sweden, and now right back to the whole metric issue. Get a life and either go back home to Sweden or adopt to the US way of doing things.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
WHAT does Obama want to change to metric?? If he wants to, I'm gonna pray to God that he's gonna be elected!!!

GO OBAMA!!! GO METRIC!!!! GO OBAMAAAAAAAAA
I was ribbing at Canes' tagline: McCain/Palin 2008. Change is in the air though.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Actually it's my first post. I didn't know someone talked about metric before
Me first, me first! I want to call a loud BULL**** to this one! Just how stupid do you think we are. Obsessed with Sweden, live in North NJ in the same county as the other idiots who have pounded this same EXACT argument to death time and time again, and always with the acting dumb about it. "Oh, what, who me, not me!" Go back and get your jollys off by re-reading some of the other threads on the subject.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Get a life and either go back home to Sweden or adopt to the US way of doing things.
Colonial is not the US way of doing things! It is British, which we violently fought away 200 years ago. Go to monarchy-loving Britain if you love the Colonial system (though they improved on it with the Imperial system. Can you now see how bad it is if it needed improvements?).

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I never understood why the USA has to be different and thus complicated things. Even all of Europe has banded together to use the same currency. Why cant we use Metric? Dumb.
Like was was posted before on several different threads. We CAN use metric if we want to. There is NO law saying the US Measurement System is the only one that is "Accepted" by the US. We are free to use whatever measurement system we want. Guess the masses have spoken because we are still using the US system.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The plutocrats are destroying the economic recovery with their non-conforming Colonial-sized products. Also it is eating into our scientific competitiveness--something necessary in our 21st Century economy. Why aren't the technological advancements created in America instead of Asia? Because our students don't know/aren't fluent in the lingua franca of Science, SI metric.

Forget about thinking green, Think Yellow!
Actually the packaging is dual labeled 99.9% of the time, and scientific research and development is done using Metric here in the US. If you are a scientific student and DON'T know the SI measurement, you are not going to be doing any research anyway, probably have a hard time finding your pants in the morning if that is the case. That is the lamest argument I have ever heard.

Quote:
Colonial is not the US way of doing things! It is British, which we violently fought away 200 years ago. Go to monarchy-loving Britain if you love the Colonial system (though they improved on it with the Imperial system. Can you now see how bad it is if it needed improvements?).
No thanks I think I will stay in the Country my ancestors fought off the British for and be happy, thank you very much. I don't have to go to Britain to appreciate the measurement system, I can do so from the comfort of home right here in the US.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
NorthNJ, Mattias and now Suryoyo. All of them moved from Stockholm to New Jersey But I agree with them. I like the metric system!

Last edited by Botev1912; 10-29-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.