Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People $200,000 income is not middle class! lol, I see so many cities you name that are among the richest in the country.. Scarsdale NY, Wellesley MA, Palo Alto CA, Darien CT, Fairfax County VA, and Southport CT.
I agree, $200K is tipping the scales of the very affluent class, not the middle class! But my favorite white collar, affluent towns would be:

Paradise Valley, AZ
Park Cities in Dallas
Bridgehampton, NY
and San Fran, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
we call them middle class, all of us from there--my friends from Darien and other places, but ok whatever--it was really for the people who wanted to mention positive things.

scranton- a diverse middle class enclave in Montclair NJ, Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill Pa, Gaithersburg MD, as examples.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I have to echo the comments of others that "white collar, suburban, middle class" is not synonymous with ethnic homogeneity. Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Loudoun, Arlington, etc. counties) as a whole is very white collar and are renowned not only for their multiculturalism but for their integration and level of racial harmony. Over 100 different languages are spoken in Fairfax County Public Schools and approximately 50% of the student body is non-white. The same is true in much of the D.C. area (Howard and Montgomery counties in Maryland notably). I loathe the DC area but I will give credit where it's due and this is one area where it succeeds in, as do some of the other suburbs listed such as Montclair, NJ and Shaker Heights, OH, both renowned for their levels of integration.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
From ScrantonWilkesBarre:
Now, the cities are becoming home to poor blacks, and the suburbs are becoming home to rich straight white people.

One of the dumbest comments I ever heard on this forum. Dream on SWB.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM

I dont think my father would think he was rich making $350k a year back in the early 1980s--we always thought people making a million + a year were wealthy.

Our neighborhood, we would consider upper middle class, not rich. Go to NYU or SF or large cities and people making what we make 200K wouldnt consider ourselves rich by any stretch either.

avon ct
bar harbour maine
Beverly Mass
chatham mass
nantucket mass
narragansett ct
alexandria va
baltimore md
chadds ford pa
mcLean va
princeton nj
st davids pa
grosse pointe mich
lake forest Il
Palm beach fla
Palmsprings cal
winter park fl
weston Mass
woods hole mass
lawrenceville nj
hilton head sc
mt pleasant sc

Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I think economic classes are relatively depending on where one lives and how many people are in one's household. In all but the most expensive metros, $350K a year would be considered upper-class... maybe not worthy of Robin Leach coverage but certainly more than comfortable.

Then again, if you're living in Manhattan with eight kids, you might feel like you need a seven-figure income to consider yourself upper-class. Between my SO and I, we just barely make six figures between us, but in the DC metro we're probably "lower" middle-class.

But to answer the question:

Abington, PA;

Bryn Mawr, PA;

Oakwood, OH.

I admit my experience in this category is pretty limited. More glamorous choices have already been mentioned.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
From ScrantonWilkesBarre:
Now, the cities are becoming home to poor blacks, and the suburbs are becoming home to rich straight white people.

One of the dumbest comments I ever heard on this forum. Dream on SWB.
Really? Been to Detroit lately? Camden? Gary? Newark? etc.?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
we call them middle class, all of us from there--my friends from Darien and other places, but ok whatever--it was really for the people who wanted to mention positive things.

scranton- a diverse middle class enclave in Montclair NJ, Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill Pa, Gaithersburg MD, as examples.

Thanks! This is exactly what I meant! At least someone knew what I meant before calling me "dumb." LOL! When I think of "suburbia", I think of the Scranton area where you have McMansion after McMansion in housing developments where everyone drives similar cars, dresses similarly, votes similarly, works in similar fields, practices the same religion, etc. I just don't like this whole "master-planned" type of idea of having to conform to something like this.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
I dont think my father would think he was rich making $350k a year back in the early 1980s--we always thought people making a million + a year were wealthy.
No, you wouldn't be rich since rich is an almost unattainable term. Paris Hilton is rich, Donald Trump is rich, Warren Buffett is rich. I really dislike the term rich because (to me) it sounds like they feel that they're better than everyone else. I know quite a few wealthy people but they never like to talk about their status. They feel that they are no better than the homeless man on the street. My parents are quite well-off but they're just as down-to-earth as you and I.

Carolinajack- Depending on where you lived, you'd likely be considered middle or upper-middle class.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 02-21-2007 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM

speedy thats what I said.

Scranton, you are welcome--i hate that mcmansion stuff too--enjoy the old money families neigbhorhoods i grew up in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.